Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 30, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #2,686 of 2,941
I think that the DS Tungsten has excellent highs. Smooth and with nice decay makes it sound almost sweet. Never thought i would enjoy bells and chimes so much.
Personally i wouldn't want any more treble than what the DS has, so eggymans would probably be too much for me.

The lower end does feel like it's lacking some tactility with my chain (2541->V222). Does anyone have any experience with Soekris 2541 and Holo Cyan 2? I'm thinking maybe replacing the 2541 with Cyan 2 could add more body to the low end.
If you are going for form factor sure. I’m more of a value shopper so I got the Yggy GS2 for 1,700 USD. Its fellow sister DACs cost 2,700 USD and rank top 3 for DACs under 10K.

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #2,687 of 2,941
If you are going for form factor sure. I’m more of a value shopper so I got the Yggy GS2 for 1,700 USD. Its fellow sister DACs cost 2,700 USD and rank top 3 for DACs under 10K.
Yeah and Denefrips Pontus II 12th-1 at the same price point was tempting as well.

Mar 30, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #2,688 of 2,941
still can't believe it, but I'm one of the lucky ones that snatched a DS Tungsten in the last run, yesterday. i think it was my 4th try, previously tried to get the SS option, but failed each time. yesterday I got everything filled in and payed for the item in the cart in just a little over 1min.

so started counting down the days :fingers_crossed:

once it arrives, I'm planning to run it on my beloved ifi Pro iCan Signature - if i'll feel it'll need some more bass (based on reviews, this is what i'm understanding/expecting), i'll add it from the XBass dial :)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2024 at 6:11 PM Post #2,691 of 2,941
Today, I got to test drive the Tungsten through my home set up, thanks to a local Head-Fi member who owns the Tungsten. I got to hear the DS Tungsten through both my Woo Audio WA22 and my Linear Tube Audio MZ3. Both amps did just fine and both of us agreed that the Tungsten sounded good. The MZ3 needed to dialed up quite high, however (to about 75/100). The WA22 had plenty of extra room on the dial. The headphones did a tad bit better on his Wells Audio Milo solid state amp, which has some super big wattage. The difference was more emphasis in the bass and sub-bass, but again, the WA22 did very well. This is good news because I don't have to feel pressured to get another amp if I buy the Tungsten. We also did some A/B listening of the Tungsten and my Abyss 1266, which was fun. My Abyss are great and won't be going anywhere if I get the Tungsten.

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #2,692 of 2,941
I ordered Nov. 10 and mine still has not shipped. I'd think Dec. 22 is several months away at the earliest.

Screenshot 2024-03-30 182909.png

Mar 30, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #2,694 of 2,941
I ordered Nov. 10 and mine still has not shipped. I'd think Dec. 22 is several months away at the earliest.
I agree. I ordered Nov 3rd, and mine has not yet shipped.

I would speculate that unless significant changes are made to Ryan's production processes, people who ordered in late December are at least 2-3 months away.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:52 AM Post #2,695 of 2,941
I agree. I ordered Nov 3rd, and mine has not yet shipped.

I would speculate that unless significant changes are made to Ryan's production processes, people who ordered in late December are at least 2-3 months away.
I mean when we ordered the lead time was 12 weeks. Now on the MH website he states it’s 16 weeks.
Nov 10th orders are now in week 20.
That’s why I said he should bump his leadtime up to at least 20 weeks or better 25-30 weeks.
People would be less disappointed if they knew the will have to wait a really really long time from the beginning.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #2,696 of 2,941
Capture.PNG

It was about time for a new headphone and the existence of the Tungsten coincided, therefore narrowing down the options it had to be either the HE1000 Stealth or the single sided T. My instinct triggered a reaction against the 10 year old HE1000 driver tech because of my not long yet adequate I think experience in this hobby, that's it.

Most probable scenario: It's going to be a musical bliss and I'll keep it for years till my next upgrade. So I won't be able to own the Stealth but that's how it goes. Choices!

Extreme scenario: Even after applying EQ (I'm a heavy EQ type listener) the Tungsten somehow still sounds off for my tastes or the sound quality just isn't there for whatever reasons something I give almost zero chance. In this case I'll just sell it and get the Stealth.

Even so, and based on the public info available so far for this new headphone I anticipate a substantial step up in audio quality and enjoyment making the jump from the HE6se. We'll see.

Only half a year to go! 😃

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #2,697 of 2,941
When breaking the seal with my Tungsten DS and perf pads it made no real difference in the low end to my ears. I discovered today that oddly enough this is not the case with the hybrid pads. Breaking the seal with the hybrid pads does boost low end levels to my ears considerably. You can actually mount the pads at a little bit of an angle and they'll still lock into place, but only on the inner set of screws, which the outer screws then create an air gap between the mounting ring and the baffle. Incredibly fun little trick for any kind of pop, hip hop, or edm music and it doesn't seem to effect the rest of the tuning too much. I feel like I keep stumbling on new little ways to change the sound. Fun headphone.

Mar 31, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #2,698 of 2,941
Dear all,

If you don't mind giving some advice - I have an UltraSonic Studios Odyssey amplifier (built by the late Tomas Jernberg).

It is a tube amplifier, and has custom Sorter output transformers with custom windings at 8, 32 and 125 ohms and can output 13-14 Watts at these windings.

Will this be sufficient? From what I read it should be. But would like to ask a confirmation. It easily drives the HE-6 V2 and the HEDDphone (V1 now?).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #2,699 of 2,941
When breaking the seal with my Tungsten DS and perf pads it made no real difference in the low end to my ears. I discovered today that oddly enough this is not the case with the hybrid pads. Breaking the seal with the hybrid pads does boost low end levels to my ears considerably. You can actually mount the pads at a little bit of an angle and they'll still lock into place, but only on the inner set of screws, which the outer screws then create an air gap between the mounting ring and the baffle. Incredibly fun little trick for any kind of pop, hip hop, or edm music and it doesn't seem to effect the rest of the tuning too much. I feel like I keep stumbling on new little ways to change the sound. Fun headphone.
I use small amount of foam put inside the earpad to make an angle of it on my hybrid pad for ds too.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:57 PM Post #2,700 of 2,941
Dear all,

If you don't mind giving some advice - I have an UltraSonic Studios Odyssey amplifier (built by the late Tomas Jernberg).

It is a tube amplifier, and has custom Sorter output transformers with custom windings at 8, 32 and 125 ohms and can output 13-14 Watts at these windings.

Will this be sufficient? From what I read it should be. But would like to ask a confirmation. It easily drives the HE-6 V2 and the HEDDphone (V1 now?).

Thanks!
You should be fine with that much power... should sound very good..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back