Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 6, 2024 at 6:35 PM Post #2,296 of 3,179
PXL_20240306_231529034.jpg

Just got my pair of DS'es in the mail today, praise be to Ryan! Did anyone else notice the smell they came with, or is that just me? I don't know how to describe it, it's sort of like the smell of a new car, I love it. I can't tell if it's the metal or the Cerakote on the grills or what but it's great.

Oh yeah, and I guess I should say they sound great too lol. Only just got them so still taking them for a spin, but initial impressions are already amazing.

And for those curious, I'm running them from a WANDLA balanced out to a Topping A90D, which isn't ideal for the amp, but they still sound great, although I can see how the lack of power makes them lose a little bit of oomph compared to when I demo'ed them previously. (I also had to bump the volume up on my A90D from 45 to 75 coming from my LCD-X's). I'm currently waiting on a Wells Audio Milo to upgrade my amp and I can't wait to see how it runs these bad boys in comparison to the Topping.

Mar 6, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #2,297 of 3,179
Blessed Be, Saint Ryan of Modhouse-upon-Susquehanna!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #2,298 of 3,179
Last edited:
Mar 6, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #2,299 of 3,179
anyone ordering from MimicAudio got their Tungsten?

Mar 7, 2024 at 12:29 AM Post #2,301 of 3,179
For any jazz lovers, this beautifully melodiic album - a sax / piano jazz duo- is rendered so beautifully on the Tungsten.

What strikes me most is how natural the timbre of these acoustic instruments are rendered. A real delight to end the day (listenign to an old CD, but glad to see it's also streaming):

1709789384854.png

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #2,302 of 3,179
anyone ordering from MimicAudio got their Tungsten?
I put my order in at the start of october and got the shipping notification at the start of january. Took about 13 weeks from ordering to getting shipped, the expected lead time was 8-10 weeks at the time. But i'm guessing the wait time has probably gotten longer for newer orders.

Mar 7, 2024 at 4:38 AM Post #2,303 of 3,179
I put my order in at the start of october and got the shipping notification at the start of january. Took about 13 weeks from ordering to getting shipped, the expected lead time was 8-10 weeks at the time. But i'm guessing the wait time has probably gotten longer for newer orders.
Yes expected wait time for New orders is 16 weeks now.
Wait time for orders in between probably even longer, since new order batches are now smaller in order to catch up with existing orders

Mar 7, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #2,304 of 3,179
Surprised no one is mentioning the HFM Prelude. It's been getting solid reviews from Wavetheory recently. In that price range, the usual suspects are MJ3, Prelude, Bliss, Oor. Some comments here about the MJ3, Bliss and Tungsten, not much on the Prelude.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #2,305 of 3,179
Surprised no one is mentioning the HFM Prelude. It's been getting solid reviews from Wavetheory recently. In that price range, the usual suspects are MJ3, Prelude, Bliss, Oor. Some comments here about the MJ3, Bliss and Tungsten, not much on the Prelude.
It has very similar power output to MJ3 at 300ohm so it may not have the voltage target that people are looking for for the Tungsten. Also, I've looked into getting a prelude and no store seems to be keeping stock of the amplifier. I've even seen some remove the listing from their site after selling their stock of it. Don't know much more than that, but it doesn't seem very popular.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:06 AM Post #2,306 of 3,179
It has very similar power output to MJ3 at 300ohm so it may not have the voltage target that people are looking for for the Tungsten. Also, I've looked into getting a prelude and no store seems to be keeping stock of the amplifier. I've even seen some remove the listing from their site after selling their stock of it. Don't know much more than that, but it doesn't seem very popular.
I had the little brother Serenade. While of course it’s not the same thing, I thought it was OK, but it didn’t blow my frock up. it had a fault on the SE so I returned it and never had an inkling to replace it.

The Prelude is a better unit for sure, but I just get the feeling no one is getting excited about HFM amps in general.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:47 AM Post #2,308 of 3,179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back