Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #2,236 of 3,179
I also have a GZ34 black base, I think I read through the whole aegis thread for tube pairing and tried the ones that sounded interesting, so I am pretty sure I copied you. Definitely my fav combo!

glad this works!

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #2,237 of 3,179
This one just reminded me, once again, why I'm almost never disappointed with a Wave Theory review. He seems to have this instinctive knack for zeroing in on specific questions I have about the gear he is reviewing. In this particular case, he just helped me to eliminate the Mjolnir 3 from my radar as an amp to consider buying, but without necessarily implying that it is a bad amp. He simply supplied useful information about where it shines (low impedance cans), and where it offers nothing to get excited about (High impedance cans, including two of my favorites, the Susvara and the Tungsten), and immediately helped me to extinguish any Audio Nervosa and/or FOMO regarding the MJ3 that might have crept into my consciousness with all the hype that amp has been enjoying recently on head-fi. He seems to know just what to say to cut the "hyperbole" and fat down to size without adding much (if any at all) of his own, and my wallet and I adore that approach. I can't wait to watch his review of the Tungsten, and what he might recommend as its most synergistic amps.
His opinion/description of the A90d was fantastic

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #2,238 of 3,179
Ditto. I ordered Nov 3 from Mimic and I'm starting to get a little more than annoyed. If I don't get these by the end of March, I'm going to be more than pissed.
I'm not sure if or not that Mimic gives updates on the order scene.. but Ryan does send out update emails... according to the last email he sent out he expects the November orders to show in March.... so if nothing has slipped, the November orders are close to shipping... does anyone know if either mimic or modhouse send out a email with tracking numbers when they ship... ???

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #2,239 of 3,179
I just ordered Flux Mentor (w/ the mono inputs so I can get a second some day and stack them in dual-mono);
Im not playing around with these power requirements lolol

Feels great to have an amp I know will handle Tungsten properly.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 2:46 PM Post #2,240 of 3,179
I was set on Holo Spring KTE!!! Grrrrr still want it but this is so tempting
Im locked in on YGGY OG or Denefrips Pontius 2 (cant afford to reach Venus 2 or that's be the one)

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #2,241 of 3,179
I was set on Holo Spring KTE!!! Grrrrr still want it but this is so tempting
If you're coming to CanJam, definitely bring your tungstens to give this a try! The spatial enhancement with headphones like the tungsten that can properly take advantage of it is awesome

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #2,242 of 3,179
If you're coming to CanJam, definitely bring your tungstens to give this a try! The spatial enhancement with headphones like the tungsten that can properly take advantage of it is awesome
I’m in the UK so are you coming to London??….pretty please.

I only just ordered the Tungsten’s so hoping 5 months is enough time.

PS. Are all the updates software? Would be easier to by the std version and update that

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #2,243 of 3,179
I’m in the UK so are you coming to London??….pretty please.

I only just ordered the Tungsten’s so hoping 5 months is enough time.

PS. Are all the updates software? Would be easier to by the std version and update that
Buying the std version and upgrading will be more expensive than just buying this version straight away.

But yeah it'll be at London too :)

Mar 2, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #2,245 of 3,179
I miss read the msg about availability, so yeah hope there is UK distributor.
UK has a few ferrum dealers; futureshop, igloo audio, fanthorpes and premiumsound so should be all good.

Of course, will need to check with the dealers whether they'll stock it but at least one of those ones will I imagine

Mar 2, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #2,246 of 3,179
Reminds me... I need a seperate amp that can drive the Tungsten with the Smyth Realiser A16.... should be interesting hearing 24 channels of spatial environment...

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #2,247 of 3,179
Hope it's ok to post here, I wanted to mention it in this thread since the ModHouse Tungsten was the headphone I used to fine-tune the spatial enhancement feature due to the Tungsten's fantastic staging, layering and imaging performance.
If you have a chance to try this at CanJam and are bringing your Tungsten, do it!

I'm really excited about this!

chrome_si2Md5ttT8.jpg

will you be reviewing the tungsten?

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:49 AM Post #2,250 of 3,179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back