Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Mar 2, 2024 at 7:01 AM Post #2,221 of 2,922
is that powerful enough?

Bet it’s not so easy getting everything to the UK.

It has plenty of headroom for the tungsten, 2w at 150 ohm, and it's transformer coupled so it can handle lower impedance headphones as well.

There have definitely been several people in the UK/Europe who have completed the build, I am sure you could ask them about their experience of acquiring parts!

Mar 2, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #2,222 of 2,922
Tell me about it. :sob: I might start on a ZMF binge if this Tungsten is any slower… based on current wait times, it’s looking like minimum 5 months wait time.
That’s funny. I’m selling my ZMF to fund my Tungsten purchase! Maybe we could enable one another, lol.

Mar 2, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #2,224 of 2,922
The Tungsten + Aegis is a combo that I'm excited for more people to be able to experience with the ZMF Aegis coming out!

Try EL37 tubes. They are rare, so requires some work hunting down, but they make the Aegis sound sublime..

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #2,226 of 2,922
It has plenty of headroom for the tungsten, 2w at 150 ohm, and it's transformer coupled so it can handle lower impedance headphones as well.

There have definitely been several people in the UK/Europe who have completed the build, I am sure you could ask them about their experience of acquiring parts!
Most OTCs have a similar power/voltage profile with higher wattage at higher impedance (the opposite of most ss amps) providing plenty of headroom for Tungstens.

This is one notable difference versus powering Susvaras as even a relatively cheap ~$1.3k tube amp like Cayin's HA-3A drives them very well.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #2,227 of 2,922
The EL37 are my favorite tubes with the Aegis, they are fantastic! Combined with the Tung-Sol 6SU7GTY they are just :ok_hand:

Same here, for both (with GZ34 black base rectifier). Enjoy! 😊

Mar 2, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,230 of 2,922
Hope it's ok to post here, I wanted to mention it in this thread since the ModHouse Tungsten was the headphone I used to fine-tune the spatial enhancement feature due to the Tungsten's fantastic staging, layering and imaging performance.
If you have a chance to try this at CanJam and are bringing your Tungsten, do it!

I'm really excited about this!

chrome_si2Md5ttT8.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,231 of 2,922
Hope it's ok to post here, I wanted to mention it in this thread since the ModHouse Tungsten was the headphone I used to fine-tune the spatial enhancement feature due to the Tungsten's fantastic staging, layering and imaging performance.
If you have a chance to try this at CanJam and are bringing your Tungsten, do it!

chrome_si2Md5ttT8.jpg

Ooooh, tube mode and spatial enhancement?! I’m intrigued!!

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #2,232 of 2,922

chrome_si2Md5ttT8.jpg

Very cool. Will defiintely do

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #2,233 of 2,922

chrome_si2Md5ttT8.jpg

I was set on Holo Spring KTE!!! Grrrrr still want it but this is so tempting

Mar 2, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #2,234 of 2,922
Mjolnir 3 review just got posted on WaveTheory
He's got Susvara and Tungsten for testing.

This one just reminded me, once again, why I'm almost never disappointed with a Wave Theory review. He seems to have this instinctive knack for zeroing in on specific questions I have about the gear he is reviewing. In this particular case, he just helped me to eliminate the Mjolnir 3 from my radar as an amp to consider buying, but without necessarily implying that it is a bad amp. He simply supplied useful information about where it shines (low impedance cans), and where it offers nothing to get excited about (High impedance cans, including two of my favorites, the Susvara and the Tungsten), and immediately helped me to extinguish any Audio Nervosa and/or FOMO regarding the MJ3 that might have crept into my consciousness with all the hype that amp has been enjoying recently on head-fi. He seems to know just what to say to cut the "hyperbole" and fat down to size without adding much (if any at all) of his own, and my wallet and I adore that approach. I can't wait to watch his review of the Tungsten, and what he might recommend as its most synergistic amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back