Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 28, 2024 at 4:17 AM Post #2,176 of 3,179
You guys realize that the threads are created Wherever the creator chose to, right?

It doesn't matter which price, quality etc a piece of gear actually has, there are no restrictions like "everything over 3k goes Summit-Fi, the rest in the regular section "

That's why we have things like the Empyrean in the regular headphone section while the LCD-X is in Summit-Fi.
And many threads get created from sponsors in the sponsor area and never leave there

Feb 28, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #2,177 of 3,179
^ sure but those threads are misplaced imo (and you can include the yamaha yh-5000se and the focal stellia threads amongst them off the top of my head). i think that threads created by the site sponsors should remain in that forum. forum members can and do create threads dedicated to products made by those sponsors in the other forums. and forum administrators/moderators can move threads to the appropriate forums as required. fwiw, the high-end forum is the appropriate place for the tungsten imo.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #2,178 of 3,179
Hi everyone - this is Ryan from Mod House! I just wanted to thank ckhirnigs113 for starting the thread, goldwerger for his great impressions, and gc335 for his support! It's been a few years since I posted and I need to brush up on the MOT rules again, but hopefully I can answer questions folks have.
To answer some questions I saw so far...

2. In regards to sensitivity ....... The general guideline I've been providing is that most folks will want an amplifier that can provide 12V RMS or more for the single sided drivers, but your needs will vary significantly based on the volume you listen at and how much headroom the music you listen to requires. I actually have a Magni Piety, and that can drive them, but it has little to no headroom on quiet high dynamic-range tracks when fed by a 2V source. Depending on your listening volume and music it might be enough for you! Of the amps I've tried I've had plenty of head room with the Schiit Jotunheim 2 and Mjolnir, Topping A70, Violectric V222, and V340 as a few examples. For reference the unit I took to Can Jam NYC was an older revision and that measured 73db/mW for me. The unit Mimic had at Chicago was the final tuning, but a higher than normal impedance (170 ohms), and measured 71db/mW for me. So thankfully the final drivers should be significantly easier to drive than those examples - but still difficult, and it does depend a lot on the amp you are using.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I'll answer what I can with more information to come. Thank you all for your interest and support!
This is from Ryan in the beginning, and he listed a few amp that will work well with Tungsten. You don't need megabucks to drive them well, but it seems to scale well with better gear.

It's been an interesting 3 months to observe this post while waiting for my december order, how it goes from rumours to rave reviews from early adapters, building up of the hype and the influx of interest, to the scarcity of supply and complains toward the one man operation who started this hobby in his garage. About half of the pages are dedicated to speculation on the amps. I hope Ryan is getting enough rest and not burning out.

Feb 28, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #2,179 of 3,179
Those three variables are typically aligned, but the Tungsten may be the rare exception at its current price.
Not in my experience. Susvara’s headband was wonky as a snot blown by the wind and LCD-4z’s frame squeezed while putting it on my head.
None of them delivered anything better I could hear compared to other headphones way cheaper, e.g LCD-3.

Feb 28, 2024 at 8:44 PM Post #2,180 of 3,179
This is from Ryan in the beginning, and he listed a few amp that will work well with Tungsten. You don't need megabucks to drive them well, but it seems to scale well with better gear.

It's been an interesting 3 months to observe this post while waiting for my december order, how it goes from rumours to rave reviews from early adapters, building up of the hype and the influx of interest, to the scarcity of supply and complains toward the one man operation who started this hobby in his garage. About half of the pages are dedicated to speculation on the amps. I hope Ryan is getting enough rest and not burning out.
Well tbf some of it comes from unit variance (as well as genre, chain, dac voltage, etc)-
Ryan just says they average 155ohm. Now, I think the variances are much lower now than those sited examples so it shouldnt be a huge thing, but
there is a variance in sensitivity as well. I say it not to cause worry but more to explain how one person could swear a particular amp isnt enough while another swears it is.
Besides all the genre, listening volume, ear canal differences etc.

But we won't truly know until we have our unit in hand. :gs1000smile: I think it won't matter much unless you try to really just buck the math.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2024 at 9:02 PM Post #2,182 of 3,179
Just a heads up, I canceled the tungsten preorder from Mimic Audio.
I got a refund notification but it's been pending for 2 weeks now.
I talked with Mimic and there is nothing they can do.
Fishy and red flag.
Two weeks is a lot.

I get refunds from Amazon to my bank is a few day as at most.

It’ll happen for you for sure but that’s a lame excuse. Sitting on your money for an extra few days more like.

Why did you cancel?

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #2,183 of 3,179
Two weeks is a lot.

I get refunds from Amazon to my bank is a few day as at most.

It’ll happen for you for sure but that’s a lame excuse. Sitting on your money for an extra few days more like.

Why did you cancel?
Too much wait time, you are basically locked in with that money for a long time.
Tungsten is really good for the price but compared to 4k range headphones, I don't think it can compete at least according to tons of reviews I've read.
I wanted to say be aware that Mimic Audio isn't trust worthy.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #2,184 of 3,179
I buy from Mimic all the time. He has amazing customer service and always helpful when I text him... even when I text him at 10PM.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #2,185 of 3,179
I buy from Mimic all the time. He has amazing customer service and always helpful when I text him... even when I text him at 10PM.
I know that they have a good reputation from the reviews I've seen from them like you.
Paypal is saying there is an inefficient account balance from Mimic Audio and that is why it's taking this long.
I was like If I don't want to give a refund to a buyer when selling something through Paypal. I can just take money out of the account to another when issuing a refund to the buyer?
Paypal hasn't answered yet but what they have been answering looks like they are defending MiMic Audio.

Feb 29, 2024 at 9:59 PM Post #2,187 of 3,179
This is simply not true. While can understand the frustrations from a slow refund, blasting out an accusation like that isn't helpful.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:05 PM Post #2,188 of 3,179
This is simply not true. While can understand the frustrations from a slow refund, blasting out an accusation like that isn't helpful.
It depends on the person but a refund pending over 2 weeks is not normal and is something to be concerned about the company.
I am talking with Mimic Audio again and once resolved, I will post.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #2,189 of 3,179
Hello,

Mimic here. We've been in communication with HC1205 and shown where the refund stands vis-a-vis Paypal/our bank/etc. As mentioned and apologized for, PayPal likes to hold e-checks ransom for half a month at times before even attempting to process. This didn't hit on our end until February 26! PayPal shows that it's pending, but with no real helpful direction otherwise.

$2100 just isn't worth torpedoing a reputation over. No amount of money is honestly. I apologized via email and will again here for the extended delay and miscommunication on our end. But it's certainly being handled via the avenues provided to us.

Feb 29, 2024 at 10:10 PM Post #2,190 of 3,179
Hello,

Mimic here. We've been in communication with HC1205 and shown where the refund stands vis-a-vis Paypal/our bank/etc. As mentioned and apologized for, PayPal likes to hold e-checks ransom for half a month at times before even attempting to process. This didn't hit on our end until February 26! PayPal shows that it's pending, but with no real helpful direction otherwise.

$2100 just isn't worth torpedoing a reputation over. No amount of money is honestly. I apologized via email and will again here for the extended delay and miscommunication on our end. But it's certainly being handled via the avenues provided to us.
Ah no mention of PayPal in the OG post.

Nuff said.

Anyway why am I here?!! I said I’m staying off here for fudge sake

Users who are viewing this thread

Back