Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #2,131 of 2,941
Head-Fi is a large forum, and there are always people wanting to take advantage of that, financially. It's simply that there's a very hard rule: If you're selling for a profit, under any circumstances, you're a business, and you can't do that here without sponsorship.

Even so, when it comes to hard-to-obtain headphones (in the past this was Sony R10s, Grado HP1000s etc.) the rule was that you had to have owned them for at least a year before you could sell them above what you paid for them. It's a matter of respecting the community. Imagine how awful this forum would be if make-a-profit free-for-all, and people were snapping up headphones on the classifies left, right and centre just to flip them?
Head-Fi could find itself in similar problems that ebay sometimes do with certain smartphones practices they have and other products too and it will become pure mayhem and a free-for-all, Pandemonium would ensue and the gates of hell would be open to all kinds of very unscrupulous individuals.

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #2,132 of 2,941
Wrong :)
My daily headphone is HD650 and yes, I listen to them on SGP1. You wouldn’t believe how HD650 could sound: no veil, full bodied sound with sub bass and treble extension. People say that Susvara and Tungsten are hard to drive. Well, HD650 benefits from SGP1 as much as Tungsten.
Atrium Open is amazing on SGP1. But Atrium Closed becomes a pair of sub woofers on your head :D I don’t recommend that. LOL
My friend, you just made my P P get really hard with your comments. Will need to get an SPG1 now then, thx!. Btw what adapter do you have on this power-amp to connect your HP?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #2,133 of 2,941
We'll also have both the single and double sided driver versions with our CFA3 amp at CanJam NY on Mar 9-10

is the final build/specs of your CFA3 locked in? Look forward to seeing you at CanJam and seeing the latest..:)

Feb 27, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #2,134 of 2,941
just one data point, but I see the Soloist Voyager is spec'ed at 1.3W balanced out for 150 ohm, or about what the Tungsten is. For comparison, the CFA3 is a capable of at least 4W at that impedance, in what has probably coincidentally ended up a very similar size chassis/form factor.
Any plans on a powerful tube amp for non-estats?

Feb 27, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #2,135 of 2,941
is the final build/specs of your CFA3 locked in? Look forward to seeing you at CanJam and seeing the latest..:)
Depends if we receive final boards before/after. the one we have now I think is the 4th version, final one is #5

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Feb 27, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #2,136 of 2,941
My friend, you just made my P P get really hard with your comments. Will need to get an SPG1 now then, thx!. Btw what adapter do you have on this power-amp to connect your HP?
I wish SGP1 is still available. You might want to check out T.Amp monoblock. Ryan said that the bass on T.Amp is slightly better than on SGP1.

Another option is AHB2 or CFA3. But that’s a different price range.

Feb 27, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #2,137 of 2,941
I wish SGP1 is still available. You might want to check out T.Amp monoblock. Ryan said that the bass on T.Amp is slightly better than on SGP1.

It doesn't seem to have gone away, it's just on pre-order status on linsoul, tho I haven't tried buying one, so I'm not sure.

SPG1 on pre-order.

Feb 27, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #2,138 of 2,941

I can confirm that Susvara sounds good on the Thomann t.amp 400, I connect it with the Hifiman He adapter.

One of the earliest post by Peter from Double Helix confirmed that the T.amp can drives Tungsten well.

The good thing about using the T.amp is that there are a lot of protection circuit build in, and you can vary the input to protect your speaker/headphone.

I sent the 400 back as it has a fan, but will be buying the 150mk2 without the fan.

Feb 27, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #2,139 of 2,941
Linsoul does

But it's pre-order with two weeks lead time tho according to the page.
I saw that but it wouldnt let me add to cart so i think thats a dead end.

Will you try to add to cart please and see if it's just my browser hatin' on me?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #2,140 of 2,941
One of the earliest post by Peter from Double Helix confirmed that the T.amp can drives Tungsten well.
Interestingly, Peter's favorite amp these days for the Tungstens outperforming his previous favorite AHB2 is the portable Enleum 23rm.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #2,141 of 2,941
It doesn't seem to have gone away, it's just on pre-order status on linsoul, tho I haven't tried buying one, so I'm not sure.

SPG1 on pre-order.
It was on pre-order when I purchased my SGP1 back in November. But now it just shows “sold out”.
I can confirm that Susvara sounds good on the Thomann t.amp 400, I connect it with the Hifiman He adapter.

The good thing about using the T.amp is that there are a lot of protection circuit build in, and you can vary the input to protect your speaker/headphone.

I sent the 400 back as it has a fan, but will be buying the 150mk2 without the fan.
when I opened my HE-Adapter after using it with Tungsten I saw this. LOL

IMG_9268.jpeg

IMG_9265.jpeg

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #2,142 of 2,941
I saw that but it wouldnt let me add to cart so i think thats a dead end.

Will you try to add to cart please and see if it's just my browser hatin' on me?
Read again with more attention this time, it says sold out, unfortunate indeed.

If we pester linsoul maybe they will re-stock this amp hopefully.

Feb 27, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #2,143 of 2,941
It was on pre-order when I purchased my SGP1 back in November. But now it just shows “sold out”.
Yep, I read one of the questions on this product's page on linsoul and they confirmed it has been discontinued, big bummer, hopefully they will launch a replacement of this amp soon at around the same price. :fingers_crossed::fingers_crossed:

Feb 27, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #2,144 of 2,941
Feb 27, 2024 at 6:38 PM Post #2,145 of 2,941
There does seem to be more high powered amps that drive Susvara than high voltage amps to drive Tungsten.
Well, the headphone hifi industry has been chasing the Susvara power requirements for 7 years. Until VERY recently there were only a couple of headphone amps on the market that could do it (there seems to have been an explosion of them in the past ~2 years). Has there ever been anything as voltage hungry as Tungsten before? Seems like that's a whole new dragon to chase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back