Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 23, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #1,936 of 2,941
yep. The point of spending the extra to my plan was the fact that this is enough for anything I’d need after, certainly headphone wise the Tungsten’s have proved this within 4 weeks of having it.

The amp rolling and super charger will be purchased before the Tungsten’s arrive. The charger is now a must for these to keep it running full tilt.

It is a beast of an amp, just a shame it’s not the 2023 silent power modules, but it was £700 cheaper.
Whats the Supercharger do exactly? And is that a Burson only thing?

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #1,937 of 2,941
Whats the Supercharger do exactly? And is that a Burson only thing?
It’s basically a low noise power supply, that works wonders with Burnson amps but wil work on anything that has a 2.5 round plug power inlet.

If you have uber clean power supply it’s not really needed afaik. It’s not like the Ferrun Hypos where you can adjust the voltage. Sandu from SoundNews for example didn’t need it with his insane power supply. However he did say this did an amazing job.

But what it does do is more than keep up with the demands the Burson (or any class a) amp needs. It keeps the capacitors resistors at full charge so nothing drops out.

There isn’t a single review that didn’t say it improved the sound. Most saying 10-15% improvement.

There is a 3v/5v version depending on the amp or dacs requirement

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:04 PM Post #1,939 of 2,941
Now you guys have me researching Burson 3xgt + supercharger vs. Ferrum Oor + Hypsos.
I feel your wallet trembling and getting scared.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #1,940 of 2,941
Now you guys have me researching Burson 3xgt + supercharger vs. Ferrum Oor + Hypsos.
Then you have op-amp and the silent amp swapping on the Burson.

If you did everything your spending the same as the Ferrum Oor and Hypos, possibly more.

As a nice neat combo there is little better to power the Tungstens, with probably tubes only offering something else I’d want if it were me.

And bear in mind the fan on the Burson is not to everyone’s liking. But it is built and runs like a tank and thus not great for IEM’s if they are in your arsenal. My god the power is mental and utterly well controlled.

If you have to money to drop it all on the Ferrum amp/PSU stack I’d go with them.

But if you want a slower upgrade at an affordable rate the Burson is a great choice.

Feb 23, 2024 at 8:48 PM Post #1,942 of 2,941
burson has been known to fry headphones due to a dc offset problem. the oor has relays to prevent this like most good amps.
Talking about Burson, does anybody hear tried the New Burson Voyager amp?

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #1,943 of 2,941
I added custom grills, but when I got to the payment it reverted back to standad.

Oh well, no great concern.
Use the "contact seller" (or something to that effect) link on your Squarespace order confirmation email - it goes through Squarespace and is tied to your order, so it won't get buried with the other inquiries to their general inbox.

Feb 23, 2024 at 10:14 PM Post #1,944 of 2,941
Use the "contact seller" (or something to that effect) link on your Squarespace order confirmation email - it goes through Squarespace and is tied to your order, so it won't get buried with the other inquiries to their general inbox.
On the breakdown it does say stock grills. In the mad rush I must have cocked it up. Will see what Ryan says to my email.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #1,946 of 2,941
I remember, the Cayin HA-3A came up a few times as a good amp (maybe not the absolute best) for Tungsten. Some folks were surprised how an amp with relatively low wattage can drive the Tungsten well. @Andykong was kind enough to calculate the average voltage output of the 3A at each setting which might explain how. HERE is a link to his post in the 3A thread.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #1,947 of 2,941
Skeeb used the 3A for his review

Another option for those without the power is the Flux FA-10 ($700) as used by Marslander. Something like 16w! However he had it on high gain and 3 o’clock which seems high for a fusion reactor amp kicking out 16w.

But again it’s good example of needing more torque than bhp to get these to sing

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #1,948 of 2,941
I remember, the Cayin HA-3A came up a few times as a good amp (maybe not the absolute best) for Tungsten. Some folks were surprised how an amp with relatively low wattage can drive the Tungsten well. @Andykong was kind enough to calculate the average voltage output of the 3A at each setting which might explain how. HERE is a link to his post in the 3A thread.
The problem is they don't tell us the specific wattage at a particular impedance. It is hard to know how much actual wattage it is putting out. Putting out the exact same wattage at 65 ohms vs 250 ohms seems unlikely or a weird design choice that makes the amp less powerful. For all we know, it could be putting out 750mW at 250 ohms but 1.5W at 125 ohms. I wish manufacturers would share more data about how an amp actually performs, maybe like a graph of how much watts it puts out at a particular impedance.

Feb 24, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #1,949 of 2,941
The problem is they don't tell us the specific wattage at a particular impedance. It is hard to know how much actual wattage it is putting out. Putting out the exact same wattage at 65 ohms vs 250 ohms seems unlikely or a weird design choice that makes the amp less powerful. For all we know, it could be putting out 750mW at 250 ohms but 1.5W at 125 ohms. I wish manufacturers would share more data about how an amp actually performs, maybe like a graph of how much watts it puts out at a particular impedance.
Yeah they really dont even tell us anything pertinent. It's like they are stuck on 2012 mode .
Who TF cares about how many watts an amp puts out at 600ohm? We need to know what it puts out at 32 or35ohm and 135 or 155ohm. Maybe 300ohm.
Including 600ohm (or even 300ohm) but not stating 135ohm is so damn short sighted.
They don't even know what their customers want.

Even more aggravating is that so far Ive asked 3 different manufacturers about 135ohm and I get this typical response (like from Schiit about MJ3)- "I only know the published values".
So, they dont even know the products they sell smfh.

Feb 24, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #1,950 of 2,941
Yeah they really dont even tell us anything pertinent. It's like they are stuck on 2012 mode .
Who TF cares about how many watts an amp puts out at 600ohm? We need to know what it puts out at 32 or35ohm and 135 or 155ohm. Maybe 300ohm.
Including 600ohm (or even 300ohm) but not stating 135ohm is so damn short sighted.
They don't even know what their customers want.

Even more aggravating is that so far Ive asked 3 different manufacturers about 135ohm and I get this typical response (like from Schiit about MJ3)- "I only know the published values".
So, they dont even know the products they sell smfh.
Nfn, this reminds me of how much I appreciate Violectric. Although I ultimately went with another amp, I really appreciated how transparent and thorough their listing for the V550 is.

1708809403956.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back