Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 23, 2024 at 3:21 PM Post #1,907 of 3,104
Given that you have a lot of experience with Audeze offerings, and I asked because I've been very interested for sometime now in getting an LCD-X, would you say that the jump in SQ it's significant enough in order to call it a true upgrade in comparison to my LCD2C's that I currently own?
I haven’t heard the 2C, but I was actually planning to sell my LCD-X 2021 since I got lucky on the order for the DS Tungsten. If you decide you’re looking for a pair, feel free to shoot me a message!

Feb 23, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #1,908 of 3,104
Given that you have a lot of experience with Audeze offerings, and I asked because I've been very interested for sometime now in getting an LCD-X, would you say that the jump in SQ it's significant enough in order to call it a true upgrade in comparison to my LCD2C's that I currently own?
IMO the 2F is a big jump up from 2C, and X is a big jump up from 2F. The thing is 2F retains some of the LCD-2 character while improving technicalities, while LCD-X is a different flavor. It has more of a cold timbre to me (though I wouldn’t say it’s bright at all). So I’d say either is worth getting over the 2C, but you have to choose detail and technicalities of the X vs timbre and warmth of the 2F. Definitely worth auditioning if you can. I also think using EQ on the 2F somewhat closes the gap on the X (though the X can be improved by EQ too, it’s a bit trickier to EQ)

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #1,909 of 3,104
Even if you are lucky enough to get in the queue within that one-minute window (feels like lottery), the waiting time will be at least 4 months. I don't know, if there will be any chance to purchase some Tungstens at CanJams, but I am not in a rush. Probably in the last quarter of the year the queue will start to get shorter and perhaps a few second-hand units will start to appear in classifieds.

The Charybdis is interesting, but the 700g+ weight puts me off. Immanis seems very promising too, finally some ribbons in a decent wrapping. :) Hopefully the price won't be too insane.
Here's the silver lining: Ryan will eventually have enough earnings to reinvest in infrastructure & scaling and his headphones will become more readily available. The only thing we're missing out on right now is being part of the first wave. PLUS, no mfr worth their salt in the history of ever peaked with their initial release - they always learn from experience and mistakes and come up with something even better for "mk II" or the next model. Think back on ZMF's first release, and look where they are now. Are you crying today in 2024 because you didn't get one of those first Eikons? Probably not. Everyone should stop sweating Ryan and just be glad there is this kind of innovation and excitement in our little niche of the world.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,910 of 3,104
IMO the 2F is a big jump up from 2C, and X is a big jump up from 2F. The thing is 2F retains some of the LCD-2 character while improving technicalities, while LCD-X is a different flavor. It has more of a cold timbre to me (though I wouldn’t say it’s bright at all). So I’d say either is worth getting over the 2C, but you have to choose detail and technicalities of the X vs timbre and warmth of the 2F. Definitely worth auditioning if you can. I also think using EQ on the 2F somewhat closes the gap on the X (though the X can be improved by EQ too, it’s a bit trickier to EQ)
Agree with your assessment on the 2F, 2C and X. I used to own all three.
Here's the silver lining: Ryan will eventually have enough earnings to reinvest in infrastructure & scaling and his headphones will become more readily available. The only thing we're missing out on right now is being part of the first wave. PLUS, no mfr worth their salt in the history of ever peaked with their initial release - they always learn from experience and mistakes and come up with something even better for "mk II" or the next model. Think back on ZMF's first release, and look where they are now. Are you crying today in 2024 because you didn't get one of those first Eikons? Probably not. Everyone should stop sweating Ryan and just be glad there is this kind of innovation and excitement in our little niche of the world.
I am from the patient minority, but thanks.

Feb 23, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,911 of 3,104
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that you weren't... just responding with my stream-of-consciousness from what you said. :)

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #1,912 of 3,104
I might've gotten incredibly lucky today after being few minutes late the last 2 times. Managed to snag a double sided tungsten 1 minute in :beerchug: (the key was to sign into paypal ahead of time and have the browser auto fill address).
Now I'll need to get an amp that can drive these bazookas. Has anyone tried the Flux Mentors and Schiit MJ3 side by side yet?
How do you have the browser ready to auto fill the address? Maybe this is some thing I can try next time.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #1,913 of 3,104
How do you have the browser ready to auto fill the address? Maybe this is some thing I can try next time.
In Firefox - Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Scroll down to Autofill -> Check "Save and autofill address" and add your address there.
In Chrome - Settings -> Autofill and passwords -> Addresses and more -> Toggle "Save and fill addresses" and add your address

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #1,914 of 3,104
In Firefox - Settings -> Privacy & Security -> Scroll down to Autofill -> Check "Save and autofill address" and add your address there.
In Chrome - Settings -> Autofill and passwords -> Addresses and more -> Toggle "Save and fill addresses" and add your address
Thanks. I use Safari, but will use one of these other browsers next time.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #1,915 of 3,104
Excellent, so I would get a different sound signature to my LCD2C's if I buy the LCD-X, in a way that's good news because I can still enjoy my LCD2C's and the X's because they're different enough that they might compliment each other.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #1,916 of 3,104
Thanks. I use Safari, but will use one of these other browsers next time.
You can get Safari to do that too.

I have 1Password and can use that to auto fill all that too.

If you use PayPal have your phone ready to the app or txt to confirm the payment.

While yes it’s a mad scramble, be thankful Ryan uses SquareSpace for the website, which can easily handle the demand. At least the website can cope which for me is the most annoying thing when trying to get tickets etc and the site just cannot cope and you loose out to tech rather than just not filling out a form quick enough

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:20 PM Post #1,917 of 3,104
I know some folks here have tested their Tungsten’s with the Ferrum stack and the V281 and said they work great. But I’m curious if those that have been able to compare had a preference? I was originally aiming for a V281 and a Yggy but found a pretty good deal on a full Ferrum stack (Oor, Hypsos and Wandla).
Either one will be a huge upgrade for me though one is far friendlier for desktop space. I can get both for about the same price but have no way to audition first sadly.

Penny for your thoughts? Wondering which would be the best for the DS.
That stack (with all 3 ) is insane and I'd loooooove to have it.

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,918 of 3,104
Feb 23, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #1,919 of 3,104
Agree with your assessment on the 2F, 2C and X. I used to own all three.

What would you say are the main differences between the 2C and the X and which in your opinion is the better one or that you enjoyed the most?

Feb 23, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #1,920 of 3,104
Well that was a spontaneous purchase. Yesterday evening I didn't plan on buying a Tungsten.Today I saw that today is a new order window and here we are...

I blame @Slackaveli for making me subconsciously prepare by looking at the Cerakote coating colors. :p

At first I thought about ordering Single Sided, but thanks to @goldwerger input I went with the Double Sided Version after all.
Bro Im so happy for you! Right after you had about given up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back