Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:28 PM Post #1,816 of 2,922
Having A-B'ed both versions a handful of times I can confirm this. I was barely changing the volume when swapping back and forth.
The real question for me is the extra $500 worth it for someone who mains rap & edm, with some classic rock and metal. Not a big fan of classical although I do listen to some from time to time and like it- it's just not what i wake up wanting to hear first necessarily.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #1,817 of 2,922
Permanent hearing damage gang RISE UP!!!!
Newer Amps in the distant future will be so advanced, it will print out braille for you past 120 db.

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #1,818 of 2,922
On his way to being a deaf kinda guy
lol.
im actually not sure how loud i listen but certainly not loud enough to cause any pain or anything like that.
But I do listen louder than some for sure, in bursts. I turn down for most songs then turn up my faves.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #1,819 of 2,922
Feb 21, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #1,820 of 2,922
lol.
im actually not sure how loud i listen but certainly not loud enough to cause any pain or anything like that.
But I do listen louder than some for sure, in bursts. I turn down for most songs then turn up my faves.
If you listen at 90 dB for a couple of hours on a low distortion system, you won't feel any pain. You'd probably even enjoy it. However, that doesn't mean your hearing is undamaged by the experience. Just because you don't feel pain in not an indicator.

Not unlike the frog in the warming pot thinking that this is just starting to feel great!

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #1,821 of 2,922
If you listen at 90 dB for a couple of hours on a low distortion system, you won't feel any pain. You'd probably even enjoy it. However, that doesn't mean your hearing is undamaged by the experience. Just because you don't feel pain in not an indicator.

Not unlike the frog in the warming pot thinking that this is just starting to feel great!
Well I dont fully have a reference point, in fact I've wondered every time I see someone say "i listen at x decibles" I wonder how they know that.

But, I certainly listen at lower levels than concerts are at, or airports (obviously).
I am curious, though, bc I certainly don't want to lose my hearing. I'm already disabled and stuck in my chair most days- I need music way too much to lose my hearing.

Feb 21, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #1,822 of 2,922
I will probably go with the single sided driver based on the "fun factor" as I already have an LCD 4 & HEKSE for more clinical listening.

How does the resolution/detail aspect of the Tungsten hold up against other headphones?
Some might say you already have the LCD-4 for that "fun-factor" listening, so why double down on it with the SS?:):)

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #1,823 of 2,922
Feb 21, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #1,824 of 2,922
I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit, but I feel this is an important topic.

Well I dont fully have a reference point, in fact I've wondered every time I see someone say "i listen at x decibles" I wonder how they know that.

But, I certainly listen at lower levels than concerts are at, or airports (obviously).
I am curious, though, bc I certainly don't want to lose my hearing. I'm already disabled and stuck in my chair most days- I need music way too much to lose my hearing.
This is one of the most cost-effective measuring equipment. Not sure if there's anything cheaper, but at $299, it's worth it to me. I don't use it for tonal balance, just spl dB.

Regular programming will continue...

Feb 21, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #1,825 of 2,922

Easiest way would be a cheapish decibelmeter stuck through a piece of cardboard and than press it against the cup
Won't get you perfect results but you get a ballpark

Feb 22, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #1,827 of 2,922
I apologize for hijacking this thread a bit, but I feel this is an important topic.

This is one of the most cost-effective measuring equipment. Not sure if there's anything cheaper, but at $299, it's worth it to me. I don't use it for tonal balance, just spl dB.

Regular programming will continue...
InEar Microphones would also do the Trick.
Both options are not calibrated by default tho

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #1,828 of 2,922
I heard the Tungsten at the Florida Audio Expo last weekend. It was driven by a Black Ice Audio headphone amp (Aries?) and also Black Ice loudspeaker integrated amplifier from it's binding posts. I wasn't impressed at all. Mediocre at best.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:31 AM Post #1,829 of 2,922
ZMF or other headphone companies will provide a Certificate of Origin upon request or offer relevant information.
'zmf or other headphone companies' are larger operations that employ staff. mod house audio does not as far as i am aware. i suggest that you try to be patient.

Feb 22, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #1,830 of 2,922
I heard the Tungsten at the Florida Audio Expo last weekend. It was driven by a Black Ice Audio headphone amp (Aries?) and also Black Ice loudspeaker integrated amplifier from it's binding posts. I wasn't impressed at all. Mediocre at best.
Care to elaborate in the slightest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back