Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,726 of 3,105
Does the grill material change the sound? Like if I get a grill made of 24k gold for example? :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #1,727 of 3,105
Thats cheaper than I was expecting.

At least PayPal, with phone in my hands for conformation is quite quick and 1Password to fill in the login lol

It’s a long wait but to support a literal one man band, that’s always going to be the way.
+ 1Password
I was able to get a DS in the January drop ... although, reading the recent comments, it seems I may not receive them until July 😭

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #1,728 of 3,105
Anyone know the shipping rates to the EU/UK? It’s a big old beast.

With taxes and a guessed shipping rate of $100 the SS are around £1600/$2000.
Shipping is roughly £50, but also expect around 20%-22% import fees/handling fees/VAT and taxes. So that £1600 asking price will be roughly £2000 when landed in the UK. That is the sad reality.

Feb 14, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #1,731 of 3,105
Roughly, but my import fees were always a little higher than 20%.
I thought £1600 is our starting price.
Have you actually imported these?

I think it should be less than that.

Using the duty code for headphones, multiple calculators show no duty to be paid, just VAT, I won’t treat that as gospel but I’d guess £150 if there was duty.

So convert cans and shipping to £ add duty and VAT on all of that (VAT is added last on everything) I’ve got it to £1670 total.

I’ll check with Ryan if the shipping is still $60. That seems very reasonable if that is the case. I paid that for Combustion Inc thermometer probes and they are tiny compared to these.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #1,732 of 3,105
Have you actually imported these?

I think it should be less than that.

Using the duty code for headphones, multiple calculators show no duty to be paid, just VAT, I won’t treat that as gospel but I’d guess £150 if there was duty.

So convert cans and shipping to £ add duty and VAT on all of that (VAT is added last on everything) I’ve got it to £1670 total.

I’ll check with Ryan if the shipping is still $60. That seems very reasonable if that is the case. I paid that for Combustion Inc thermometer probes and they are tiny compared to these.
I imported quite a few other stuff. There are always some surprise fees added, handling and what not.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #1,733 of 3,105
I imported quite a few other stuff. There are always some surprise fees added, handling and what not.
Yeah they do crop up but I still think £1600ish is not far off.

But either way if these are being rated to Susvara etc which I simply cannot afford even with added fees they seem to be worth it.

Back in the day of $2 to the pound I imported a lot from MassDrop but stopped when the pound went down the toilet.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:04 AM Post #1,734 of 3,105
Yeah they do crop up but I still think £1600ish is not far off.

But either way if these are being rated to Susvara etc which I simply cannot afford even with added fees they seem to be worth it.

Back in the day of $2 to the pound I imported a lot from MassDrop but stopped when the pound went down the toilet.
They absolutely worth it, but that wasn't the question. :wink:

Feb 15, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #1,735 of 3,105
Received my Tungsten DS with both sets of pads yesterday and have spent maybe 2 hours with them. While first impressions can be misleading, I think they provide some insight into less nuanced aspects of a headphone.

At first blush, these are super technical and tactile set. There is a dynamism here that I am thoroughly enjoying. However, new toy syndrome could be contributing to some greed with the volume pot.

Initial assessment of the build is pretty good! There are many aspects that are quite polished, while others betray the built-in-a-shed nature of these. The cable has a bit of memory but isn't unwieldly. Comfort is pretty good but everything is a step down coming from the Stealth.

I'll spend some more time with them and do a full write up at some point. I'll post some pics later as well!

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #1,737 of 3,105
cool.... glad you got yours... what was your order date...
Mentioned it in a previous post. I was definitely frustrated with the wait time and delays but I reached out to Ryan a few times for updates and he was always responsive.

Despite the long wait, I am sure Ryan is doing his best to fulfill orders. I think this is just growing pains for a fairly new company. I've never run a business but I think any small business has to go through a period where they build up enough capital / revenue to support hiring people and transition to making batches of products rather than making them to order. This is just speculation on my part, I don't know Mod House's situation.

Anyway, all that is to say that I don't want to get into specifics about the date or how many weeks as I don't think it is fair to Ryan. We are all early adopters of a made to order item created by a one man operation. This isn't to call you or anyone else here out, as I was also frustrated.

Feb 15, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #1,738 of 3,105
I'm not frustrated... but I am waiting like others.... I don't blame Ryan for a successful product that seems to be popular in our hobby... just trying to see how long it might be taking from order to delivery... I think you read something in my post that isn't there...
I think many people might not understand just how many people buy headphones at this price range... even though they are cheaper in price than a Susvara they do cost more than many people have the funds for... so in other words it would be interesting just how many of these get built and sold going forward... its a niche product .... personally I look at the Tungsten as a custom build that is limited in quantity and will be a proud owner when they show up here...

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:09 PM Post #1,739 of 3,105
I'm not frustrated... but I am waiting like others.... I don't blame Ryan for a successful product that seems to be popular in our hobby... just trying to see how long it might be taking from order to delivery... I think you read something in my post that isn't there...
I think many people might not understand just how many people buy headphones at this price range... even though they are cheaper in price than a Susvara they do cost more than many people have the funds for... so in other words it would be interesting just how many of these get built and sold going forward... its a niche product .... personally I look at the Tungsten as a custom build that is limited in quantity and will be a proud owner when they show up here...
My bad, I usually read ellipses as frustration / exasperation. That's a me problem.

Either way, it will be interesting to see how many are made and how big of a following the Tungsten has as time goes on.

Feb 15, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #1,740 of 3,105
Mentioned it in a previous post. I was definitely frustrated with the wait time and delays but I reached out to Ryan a few times for updates and he was always responsive.

Despite the long wait, I am sure Ryan is doing his best to fulfill orders. I think this is just growing pains for a fairly new company. I've never run a business but I think any small business has to go through a period where they build up enough capital / revenue to support hiring people and transition to making batches of products rather than making them to order. This is just speculation on my part, I don't know Mod House's situation.

Anyway, all that is to say that I don't want to get into specifics about the date or how many weeks as I don't think it is fair to Ryan. We are all early adopters of a made to order item created by a one man operation. This isn't to call you or anyone else here out, as I was also frustrated.
Assuming it’s still just him building, he’s got all that to do, in a shed and now doubt answers a million emails etc, press or at least some PR stuff and posting and developing.

And you can’t ignore that a huge part of buying this headphone is that fact that this not DCA or HiFiman etc. this really is a guy in a shed and knowing your paying one bloke, supported but his wife and friend are supplying the world for this headphone has had gone gang busters in this world.

I for one would be less proud of buying this (well trying to next Friday) if this was a big company.

So I think you have to give him some leeway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back