Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Feb 9, 2024 at 2:14 AM Post #1,682 of 3,179
Michael Jackson's Billie Jean. I would advise you watch videos on how Billie Jean is recorded. It helps you figure out how the timbre of the instruments should sound since they tend to use synth sounds a bit. On of the main things about Bille Jean is that Michael Jackson is constantly snapping his fingers while singing. The snapping is on the vocal track, which shouldn't make a difference really to the presentation but it's a factoid to think about. On Tungsten, it sounds like real fingers snapping, on Susvara it sounds like a percussive beat, not fingers snapping. I don't know why the Susvara is losing resolution here, but I know that the Susvara can resolve this because a couple of years ago, a friend of mine sent me different masterings of Bille Jean, and I was able to hear the finger snapping clearly on some of the masterings.
Based on what you mentioned with different Susvaras, I recalled there was a rumor that HiFiman has been making small tuning changes to the Susvara throughout the years. Not sure if that’s true. Anyone who heard both the Susvara 2.5mm and 3.5mm version notice any difference?

Feb 9, 2024 at 4:47 AM Post #1,683 of 3,179
If i remember correctly, there was a mention at the release that the DS version had a way to adjust the air intake/bass ports, what happened to that?
At least my DS Mimic edition doesn't have any way to adjust it, did Ryan remove it or do other DS owners have that as a possibility?

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #1,684 of 3,179
If i remember correctly, there was a mention at the release that the DS version had a way to adjust the air intake/bass ports, what happened to that?
At least my DS Mimic edition doesn't have any way to adjust it, did Ryan remove it or do other DS owners have that as a possibility?
That's a bit disappointing to hear. I recall reading this somewhere as well back in late December when I was trying to decide which one to get but no longer find any mention of it. Something about a shade system that lets you adjust the bass on the DS. Was one of the reasons I decided to get the DS over the SS.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:07 AM Post #1,685 of 3,179
Actually I think this is what is about:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...pressions-and-discussion.968835/post-17745850

Think Ryan removed it from the product page as it is a little misleading on what that actually entails. Not sure why that would be exclusive to the DS version though.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #1,686 of 3,179
Actually I think this is what is about:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mod...pressions-and-discussion.968835/post-17745850

Think Ryan removed it from the product page as it is a little misleading on what that actually entails. Not sure why that would be exclusive to the DS version though.
I took out the pad and didn't really see anything that could be moved (just a quick check), so the "adjustment" was either misunderstood or it was removed in later batches. The comment did say that it had only a very small effect, but it would have been cool to have some optional adjustment.

Feb 9, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #1,687 of 3,179
Yeah, I've been paying close attention to all of the reviews & discussion, and while pretty much everyone universally agrees that Tungsten is "competitive" with Susvara at a fraction of the price, I haven't heard anyone legit claim that it's "better". I think that's an important distinction to make. Not to diminish Tungsten at all - it is without question a market disruptive product. But we should temper the hype train with a healthy dose of reality, too.

That said, I think there is indeed a very good chance Hifiman drops the price of Susvara soon and/or introduces a major update, in no small part thanks to Tungsten, Caldera, & Empyrean II applying serious pressure to the reigning king of planars.

The Susvara is more technically complete, offering superior resolution, soundstage, and instrument separation. It also offers a bit more treble extension.

Technicalities aside, they offer distinctively different presentations - the Susvara is fast and spacious; the Tungsten at the same time offers a slightly warmer presentation, and its notes are thicker and weightier.

I don’t find I lack anything when I listen to the Susvara; nor do I find that I lack anything when I listen to the Tungsten. On their own, they are both wonderfully complete headphones. But their strengths differ. If you want a more “dense” and texture presentation, go with the Tungsten; if you want a speedier and more specious presentation with utmost resolution and accuracy in layering instruments, go with the Susvara (if you can, go with both!). They are both great across the board on their own. They just offers a different experience.

Yea I agree with this post here and @goldwerger mentioning earlier that it will largely come down to what you prefer, and that they are just very different tonally. Which is better overall may be a bit less relevant to the framing of the conversation to some degree because they both sound different and have strengths the other doesn't have.

Feb 9, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #1,688 of 3,179
I am looking for some advice.

I have a Burson Soloist 3XP. Is the Double Sided a viable option for my amp? (I can always upgrade down the line).

I know that orders are opening soon and just need that final push over the line.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #1,689 of 3,179
I took out the pad and didn't really see anything that could be moved (just a quick check), so the "adjustment" was either misunderstood or it was removed in later batches. The comment did say that it had only a very small effect, but it would have been cool to have some optional adjustment.
I believe this is what's being referred to:

IMG_20240209_152316.jpg

It sits in between the spring steel sheet attached to the pads and the chassis. The straight line cutouts provide a vent. By default SS does not come with them and I'm not sure what DS's configuration is by default anymore. Ryan gave me a pair to try months ago before DS was even shipping. Funny enough I haven't tried them other than when we met up to compare my Mjolnir 3 with his Mjolnir 1.

Feb 9, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #1,690 of 3,179

IMG_20240209_152316.jpg

It sits in between the spring steel sheet attached to the pads and the chassis. The straight line cutouts provide a vent. By default SS does not come with them and I'm not sure what DS's configuration is by default anymore. Ryan gave me a pair to try months ago before DS was even shipping. Funny enough I haven't tried them other than when we met up to compare my Mjolnir 3 with his Mjolnir 1.
Oh, okay. I don't seem to have these with my DS, but now that you mentioned, i do remember seeing pictures of these somewhere.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #1,691 of 3,179

IMG_20240209_152316.jpg

I have these in my DS (between pads and driver; showed in my review). I like it, but admittedly the difference between having them in vs not is very small; if they are no longer shipped, it's likely to keep things simpler. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #1,692 of 3,179
I am looking for some advice.

I have a Burson Soloist 3XP. Is the Double Sided a viable option for my amp? (I can always upgrade down the line).

I know that orders are opening soon and just need that final push over the line.

based on specs, it outsputs 9.5V at 150 ohm (balanced). It may do in a pinch, but likely will not be a good fit (never tried, so can only offer an educated, uninformed, guess)

Feb 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #1,693 of 3,179
based on specs, it outsputs 9.5V at 150 ohm (balanced). It may do in a pinch, but likely will not be a good fit (never tried, so can only offer an educated, uninformed, guess)

Thanks for that. I think the Burson will provide a good holding position until I explore upgrade options in the future 🙏

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:46 PM Post #1,694 of 3,179
If one is considering Topping I think you'd have to go for the $499 A70.
IN THEORY AND ON PAPER, the A70 pro has a little bit more juice than the MJ3, so if Jot2 and MJ3 can drive Tungsten SS version well enough, topping A70 should have no issues at all driving those cans, also another data point that gives me faith that my S17 might just be good enough for Tungsten SS

Feb 9, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #1,695 of 3,179
The Susvara is more technically complete, offering superior resolution, soundstage, and instrument separation. It also offers a bit more treble extension.

Technicalities aside, they offer distinctively different presentations - the Susvara is fast and spacious; the Tungsten at the same time offers a slightly warmer presentation, and its notes are thicker and weightier.

I don’t find I lack anything when I listen to the Susvara; nor do I find that I lack anything when I listen to the Tungsten. On their own, they are both wonderfully complete headphones. But their strengths differ. If you want a more “dense” and texture presentation, go with the Tungsten; if you want a speedier and more specious presentation with utmost resolution and accuracy in layering instruments, go with the Susvara (if you can, go with both!). They are both great across the board on their own. They just offers a different experience.
Just a question, are you comparing Tungsten SS or DS version vs Susvara or both for that matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back