Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #1,503 of 2,941
Ordered on 12/30. I contacted Mimic Audio today and they said I have 20 weeks wait to go. 🫠
The heck, same time I ordered and website said 10-12.
Half tempted to just get one of Hifimans open box Susvara for $2k off and call it a day

Edit: But half tempted isn't going to make me jump ship 😝

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #1,504 of 2,941
The heck, same time I ordered and website said 10-12.
Half tempted to just get one of Hifimans open box Susvara for $2k off and call it a day 😝
If you want to give up on a handcrafted market disruptor then I’m sure the guys behind you will be thankful.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #1,505 of 2,941
If you want to give up on a handcrafted market disruptor then I’m sure the guys behind you will be thankful.
More annoyed to find out from another customer that a retailer stating a window of time for an order just doubled it and didn't bother telling anyone. Ryan being backlogged I get and can't be mad at. But a shop taking unlimited orders and not communicating to the buyers that their quoted window was off by... well 100%, is frustrating to say the very least.

Jan 28, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #1,506 of 2,941
More annoyed to find out from another customer that a retailer stating a window of time for an order just doubled it and didn't bother telling anyone. Ryan being backlogged I get and can't be mad at. But a shop taking unlimited orders and not communicating to the buyers that their quoted window was off by... well 100%, is frustrating to say the very least.
1000% understandable. I think everyone’s patience will be rewarded in spades.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:30 PM Post #1,509 of 2,941
indeed. kind of outrageous even.

Jan 28, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #1,510 of 2,941
orders re-open next month but it is going to be a while before people start getting these.

1706489532643.png

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:33 PM Post #1,511 of 2,941
orders re-open next month but it is going to be a while before people start getting these.

You know that each time they go up for order, it’s sold out in 1 minute!

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,512 of 2,941
Yes you can burn the driver, especially with older amps. I burned the drivers on my Diana Phi once on my old Sudgen A25 (1985) by having the headphone plugged in when switching on/off. I read that amps like AHB2 has a auto mute when switching on/off, are there other amps with that feature @Clemmaster @BassicScience ?
Yes, a lot of modern power amps have series relays to mute power on/off transients and to protect the transducer from clipping, shorts, etc. The AHB2 actually doesn't use mechanical relays, which Benchmark argue gives superior performance over the long term.

In any case, it's a good idea to measure the steady state DC offset of each channel of a power amp before driving headphones with it. You don't really want a value much over 20 mV, and ideally less than 10 mV. Transient spikes in DC offset are what produce clicks or pops at power on/off. The foregoing advice is particularly salient with older amps or ones from more obscure manufacturers.

As a practical matter, I strongly recommend using a power amp with (widely) adjustable gain. My amp (Vera Audio P150/600 RS) features adjustable gain from 12-30 dB in 3 dB increments, which makes it workable for driving pretty much any planar headphone, as well as estats via a transformer box. Using the lowest gain that keeps your preamp's volume control in an optimum usable range adds a measure of safety against power overload, although the only time I've ever done that was when I inadvertently plugged the record outputs from my preamp into the power amp and subsequently drove full power into my Susvara for almost ten seconds. Amazingly, the headphone survived it! Planar drivers are seemingly more robust than we might imagine.

Jan 28, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #1,513 of 2,941
You that each time they go up for order, it’s sold out in 1 minute!
Well at this point people are going to start scripting bots to sell on Ebay. Only reason we arent seeing $4,000 Tungstens on Ebay already is the lead time. The OG buyers are true Audiophiles and have mostly resisted, but, the hype machine has been full bore since December and the scalpers know about them. Hopefully most won't bother bc of the lead time and the generally tiny amount of units, but, definitely some are buying them to resell and double up for sure by now.

And, as a matter of fact, people who can afford to would probably be happy to overpay for them at this point. So much hype and such scarcity creates madness I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #1,514 of 2,941
And, as a matter of fact, people who can afford to would probably be happy to overpay for them at this point. So much hype and such scarcity creates madness I'm afraid.

I hope people are wise enough to wait until another CanJam completes (NYC) before they start to throw stupid money at this scarcity problem. There haven't been many comprehensive impressions outside of reviewers who were provided review samples, thus far.

Jan 28, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #1,515 of 2,941
Well at this point people are going to start scripting bots to sell on Ebay. Only reason we arent seeing $4,000 Tungstens on Ebay already is the lead time. The OG buyers are true Audiophiles and have mostly resisted, but, the hype machine has been full bore since December and the scalpers know about them. Hopefully most won't bother bc of the lead time and the generally tiny amount of units, but, definitely some are buying them to resell and double up for sure by now.

I certainly hope that is not true. Sadly I know that is how things work...but it's a bit more niche than a graphics card for example. Flashbacks of beanie babies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back