Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Sep 27, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #286 of 3,179
Since the consensus is that you will need the power of nuclear fission to run these, is this amp not under powered since it 'only' offers 500mw. The TA-22 should be better positioned since it pumps out 3w and offers a very good Dac on board.
TA-26 is my main amp for Tungsten for now. Until I’ll get Mj3. I don’t feel that it’s underpowered. But you can’t go loud.
Tungsten definitely loves tubes.

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:42 AM Post #287 of 3,179
Since the consensus is that you will need the power of nuclear fission to run these, is this amp not under powered since it 'only' offers 500mw. The TA-22 should be better positioned since it pumps out 3w and offers a very good Dac on board.
Speaking of the devil, has anyone tried the Xduoo ta-22 with the Tungsten and knows how it pairs? Thanks

Sep 28, 2023 at 6:51 AM Post #288 of 3,179
Once I get my Tungsten I will let you all know how the Bakoon 13r and A90d runs it. But it may be a while haha.

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #289 of 3,179
Heading to CanJam SoCal tomorrow. Will take the double-magnet pair with me to test amplifiers (so will publish my review after I return to to add that extra color).

If anyone is at SoCal and wants to demo the headphones, find me I’ll be carrying them with me at happy to

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #290 of 3,179
Heading to CanJam SoCal tomorrow. Will take the double-magnet pair with me to test amplifiers (so will publish my review after I return to to add that extra color).

If anyone is at SoCal and wants to demo the headphones, find me I’ll be carrying them with me at happy to
If it's available, please give it a shot on the HoloAudio Bliss. I imagine that the CFA3 runs them spectacularly. (We both own Dukei amps. :))

Sep 28, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #291 of 3,179
If it's available, please give it a shot on the HoloAudio Bliss. I imagine that the CFA3 runs them spectacularly. (We both own Dukei amps. :))

yes, the CFA3 runs them well. I could probably easy try to the Bliss (at min Zach will have those and I'm sure I can ask him to give it a shot when things slow down)

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #292 of 3,179
yes, the CFA3 runs them well. I could probably easy try to the Bliss (at min Zach will have those and I'm sure I can ask him to give it a shot when things slow down)
I think we will have Bliss, Aegis, Ferrum, Wells that should all run Tungsten quite well. Tungsten is welcome in the ZMF room for sure 😁👍

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 29, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #293 of 3,179
I think we will have Bliss, Aegis, Ferrum, Wells that should all run Tungsten quite well. Tungsten is welcome in the ZMF room for sure 😁👍

you’re da man! 👍👊

Sep 29, 2023 at 10:19 AM Post #294 of 3,179
Oct 1, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #295 of 3,179
I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on the Tungsten and what it sounds like in terms of dynamics, punch, clarity etc.

Oct 1, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #296 of 3,179
I had the opportunity to listen to the Tungsten Double-Sided on a Schiit Mjolnir 3(?) today at the DC area meet thanks to @Menkau-ra. Unfortunately, I don't recall which settings were used on the Mjolnir, as I only knew what it was afterwards by finding the amp on the Schiit website.

Overall, I thought the DS Tungsten has a "powerful", "weighty", and "forward"/"intimate" sound. It has powerful punch even at low volumes, almost like there's a bit of reverb after each bass hit, but not in a muddy or uncontrolled way. To me, bass attack and punch seems a bit slower than what I'm used to, like there's a lot of punch, but that punch arrives over a longer period of time compared to my reference. However, I generally listen to electrostatics, so my reference for subjective speed is likely faster than what most people use. Meet conditions aren't good for evaluating clarity and technicalities, but it didn't surprise me in any way good or bad.

Now for the "forward/intimate" part of the sound. Vocals are placed very close to me; it's like the vocalist is right up against the tip of my nose and singing at me from there. It's sounds like it's more intimate than even the HD6xx to me. But the lateral soundstaging is normal and not constrained in the same way. Thus the overall effect is akin to a band playing around me, but the vocalist stepping forward, going right up against my face, and singing their part from there. I don't like it.

Now, there will be people out there who will love this sort of presentation. There's a lot of texture to those vocals as a result of them being so emphasized. And it's not shouty in the way that something like the Audeze MM-500 is where the vocals (especially higher-pitched female vocals) can become scratchy or grating. No, it's a textured and rich vocal performance, just delivered from right in front of me. I prefer vocals to be more distant, so unfortunately for me, I could not really enjoy the Tungsten DS to its fullest, because I kept on being distracted and wishing the vocalist would just back up a few steps and get out of my face. So, not for me, but there's a lot of good sound here for other people to enjoy, especially if you like that sort of forward and upfront presentation to vocals.

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #297 of 3,179
I had the opportunity to listen to the Tungsten Double-Sided on a Schiit Mjolnir 3(?) today at the DC area meet thanks to @Menkau-ra. Unfortunately, I don't recall which settings were used on the Mjolnir, as I only knew what it was afterwards by finding the amp on the Schiit website.

Overall, I thought the DS Tungsten has a "powerful", "weighty", and "forward"/"intimate" sound. It has powerful punch even at low volumes, almost like there's a bit of reverb after each bass hit, but not in a muddy or uncontrolled way. To me, bass attack and punch seems a bit slower than what I'm used to, like there's a lot of punch, but that punch arrives over a longer period of time compared to my reference. However, I generally listen to electrostatics, so my reference for subjective speed is likely faster than what most people use. Meet conditions aren't good for evaluating clarity and technicalities, but it didn't surprise me in any way good or bad.

Now for the "forward/intimate" part of the sound. Vocals are placed very close to me; it's like the vocalist is right up against the tip of my nose and singing at me from there. It's sounds like it's more intimate than even the HD6xx to me. But the lateral soundstaging is normal and not constrained in the same way. Thus the overall effect is akin to a band playing around me, but the vocalist stepping forward, going right up against my face, and singing their part from there. I don't like it.

Now, there will be people out there who will love this sort of presentation. There's a lot of texture to those vocals as a result of them being so emphasized. And it's not shouty in the way that something like the Audeze MM-500 is where the vocals (especially higher-pitched female vocals) can become scratchy or grating. No, it's a textured and rich vocal performance, just delivered from right in front of me. I prefer vocals to be more distant, so unfortunately for me, I could not really enjoy the Tungsten DS to its fullest, because I kept on being distracted and wishing the vocalist would just back up a few steps and get out of my face. So, not for me, but there's a lot of good sound here for other people to enjoy, especially if you like that sort of forward and upfront presentation to vocals.

I’ve heard my Tubgsten today on the new Schiit Mjolnir at CanJam SoCal, and it was my least favorite amp for it (from the many I’ve tried today). It’s simply not up to the task of driving it well. Bass isn’t as tight as it can be, and soundstage is somewhat collapsed. I hope you get to try it on a better amp. At this price ranges, I tried it today with the Ferrum Orr and it had one of the best transient response for these headphones, super fast and dynamic. Very enjoyable.

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:27 AM Post #298 of 3,179
Thank you for your detailed impressions!

Oct 1, 2023 at 2:30 AM Post #299 of 3,179
I’ve heard my Tubgsten today on the new Schiit Mjolnir at CanJam SoCal, and it was my least favorite amp for it (from the many I’ve tried today). It’s simply not up to the task of driving it well. Bass isn’t as tight as it can be, and soundstage is somewhat collapsed. I hope you get to try it on a better amp. At this price ranges, I tried it today with the Ferrum Orr and it had one of the best transient response for these headphones, super fast and dynamic. Very enjoyable.
Dang, I had brought my Erco to the meet but didn't bring the Tungsten over to that setup. It was connected to the Mjolnir via XLR and I didn't go looking for a 4.4mm cable for use with the Erco. I use the Erco as a DAC with my estats for that increased dynamic punch.

Oct 1, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #300 of 3,179
Did you try it on the Ampsandsound Jinx? (was at mimic audio booth)
That was pretty impressive to me. I didnt get to hear it on the mjollnir though, so I cant compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back