Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #661 of 3,109
Anyone try the DS with a Cayin iHA6 or Burson Soloist?

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #662 of 3,109
Anyone try the DS with a Cayin iHA6 or Burson Soloist?
Yes, I tried it with the Burson Soloist 3x GT. Tons of power and works well with both versions of the Tungsten.

Edit: The best rig that I heard for the Tungsten was the Violectric V550/Soekris 2541.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #663 of 3,109
Yes, I tried it with the Burson Soloist 3x GT. Tons of power and works well with both versions of the Tungsten.
Great. I was looking at a Ferrum Oor stack but numerous people have said it’s not a good pairing and I’m all set for the other headphones in my rotation so I’d only really be buying the Burson for the Tungsten.

Dec 18, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #664 of 3,109
Great. I was looking at a Ferrum Oor stack but numerous people have said it’s not a good pairing and I’m all set for the other headphones in my rotation so I’d only really be buying the Burson for the Tungsten.
Not sure who said that about Ferrum Oor but I think it's a great painting probably better than Burson and not just for Tungsten.

Dec 18, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #665 of 3,109
Not true from what I have heard. A friend with the SS and DS Tungsten likes the Oor with them. Neutral with a hint of warmth.

Edit: Other good options include Mj3, V222/340/281 depending on your preferences.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #666 of 3,109
What about the DCS Lina amp, will it be able to drive the Tungsten DS without distorting?

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #667 of 3,109
+1 for the Orr. I demo it at CanJam SoCal with my DS and like it quite a bit.

Dec 18, 2023 at 2:28 PM Post #668 of 3,109
+1 for the Orr. I demo it at CanJam SoCal with my DS and like it quite a bit.
Good to know. That would be my preference as I'd like to pair the Hypsos with my CMA Fifteen as well.

Now all I need is to win the lottery on Friday trying to order a DS. Last drop seemed like it came and went within seconds.

Dec 18, 2023 at 3:51 PM Post #669 of 3,109
Good to know. That would be my preference as I'd like to pair the Hypsos with my CMA Fifteen as well.

Now all I need is to win the lottery on Friday trying to order a DS. Last drop seemed like it came and went within seconds.
Ryan himself likes the Tungsten off the Oor. I think you will be good.

Dec 18, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #670 of 3,109
What about the DCS Lina amp, will it be able to drive the Tungsten DS without distorting?

based on its spec only, I could only speculate. Off that, it is likely not a great fit (ouputs perhaps about 10-11V or so at around 150 ohm). There are also exceptions to every rule, so perhaps you'll be the first to try and let us know it works great! :)

Dec 18, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #671 of 3,109
Try the Cayin HA-3A with it first. You may not need another amp. A friend tried the Cayin HA-3A with the some success. Maybe he can comment on the pairing @wizzman121

Also, if you only are buying an amp for the Tungsten, there are cheaper options. If money is no object, go for the burson but there are other options.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:04 PM Post #672 of 3,109
Try the Cayin HA-3A with it first. You may not need another amp. A friend tried the Cayin HA-3A with the some success. Maybe he can comment on the pairing @wizzman121

Also, if you only are buying an amp for the Tungsten, there are cheaper options. If money is no object, go for the burson but there are other options.
Money is unfortunately always a consideration. I’ve changed my hobby strategy for 2024 and I’m only interested in about $6000 total for the year so about $500/month. I need to be very deliberate in what I’m buying so I’ll start with what I have and see if the HA-3A will do the trick.

Dec 18, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #673 of 3,109
Money is unfortunately always a consideration. I’ve changed my hobby strategy for 2024 and I’m only interested in about $6000 total for the year so about $500/month. I need to be very deliberate in what I’m buying so I’ll start with what I have and see if the HA-3A will do the trick.
For $400, the Schiit Jot 2 is an amazing value. It doesn’t have the staging of the more premium amps but you could always upgrade later.

Dec 18, 2023 at 7:04 PM Post #675 of 3,109
For $400, the Schiit Jot 2 is an amazing value. It doesn’t have the staging of the more premium amps but you could always upgrade later.
Funny. I was thinking of the Nitsch Pietus Maximus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back