Mod House Audio Tungsten - Planar Magnetic Headphones - Impressions and Discussion
Jan 30, 2024 at 3:37 AM Post #1,546 of 3,179
When did you order yours?
Last year 19th of September... I think. It's been a long wait but well worth. I should of had them earlier but I wanted both sets of pads and I've waited 3 weeks for UP pads, then Hybrid pads went out of stock, then Hybrids came back and decided to just get those and not wait for UP anymore so it's been back and forth like that

Jan 30, 2024 at 6:58 AM Post #1,548 of 3,179
I did a compare of the Tungsten against the Susvara to see how the Burson Voyager Amp would drive them.... all I did was adjust the Susvara until it was pretty loud and the volume was at 60... I then plugged in the Tungsten and just pushed the volume knob till they sounded the same loudness that the Susvara sounded... the reading on the amp was 65.... so they were pretty close ... 60 vs 65 isn't much

Same page here, they're not much harder to drive, just a bit and pretty similar. Just a bit further on the volume pot. They're basically in the same boat in trying to power well.

Jan 30, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #1,550 of 3,179
I ordered the Double sided because I had no time or patience to compete for the SS version when the website opened for orders. DS was the only one available from MimicAudio.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #1,551 of 3,179
So in a zeos review he runs two Fosi ZA3 speaker amps in mono that push around 6 watts each by my calculations at 155ohm. This seems like complete overkill and not sure how that translates to the voltage game. Has anyone tried this rig or something similar?
I'm putting this out here just in case some are curious about the amp setup Zeos was showing while using the Tungsten.... so I watched many of the reviews on youtube for the Fosi ZA3 amps and they were all positive... at least for a speaker amp... the folks at Fosi got a request for them to add in the optional function of a mono amp switch... so two amps running mono ... one amp for left and one amp for right... sounds simple and for the price a very cool solution for a speaker setup...
So I was looking for youtube reviews on the Tungsten and there was Zeos with his desk setup and a couple different Tungstens, one pre production and one post production and I got curious what he was using for an amp... with a couple different youtube vids he tells you about the amps and another vid on how to build a XLR to banana cable to interface the ZA3 amps to the Tungsten... so I decide to try the setup myself and if I liked the headphone solution then great and if not then I'd just use the amps for my speakers... it was a win for me either way.... then Amir over at Audio Science Review posted his review of a Fosi Amp that is using the same Texas Instruments Chip -TI TPA3255 class D amplifier IC which on the specification page at Texas Instruments it is expecting to have a SPEAKER at the output of the Fosi Amp... if you look at the graphs Amir comments "Frequency response shows load dependency which all class D amplifiers in this price range show " and this is shown in the FR graph via a 4 ohm load and a 8 ohm load.... the graph shows that the Frequency and associated amplitude is elevated when the 8 ohm load is in place... and the 4 ohm load FR is perfect.. a Amir quote " In English, this means that depending on which speaker you use, the sound may be a bit bright or a bit dull if your hearing extends to 20 kHz. You can counter with EQ (which you better have for good sound in your room). " And with a Speaker of 4 ohm rating the FR is perfect for human hearing...
And this was all confirmed on the Texas Instruments Spec page.. you can read all about it here.. https://www.ti.com/product/TPA3255 ...
So right off the bat its obvious that the Amp Chip is expecting a Speaker and not a higher resistance headphone...Class D issue, part of the circuit is a speaker at the outputs.
I put together a list of parts that I think I needed to build up the exact system that Zeos was showing and to test it out. and awaited the parts to show.. then it was mentioned the setup could possibly be dangerous to your ears/headphones due to the elevated FR.... and so I dug into the specs a bit more and looked at the graph that Amir had posted... I came up with a couple of solutions to the potential issue by just adding the proper Resistive Load at the output of the Amps... the graph shows a perfect FR at 4ohm and so I bought power resistors (50watt) of 5 ohms and those were installed as shuts on the Amp outputs and on the other side of the shut R loads I placed the Zeos XLR interface cable... This solution works quite well but depending on your headphones sensitivity this doesn't help with the amount of power coming towards the headphone at the XLR connector.... So I wrote the Hifiman guys and they sent me a Hifiman HE adapter.. https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-adapter.html .... this small box has banana inputs and a single balanced XLR 4 pin output... but also has its own shunt resistor and level resistors to cut the power to the headphones.... so the setup ends up with a shunt resistor on the outputs of the amp to tame the FR elevation to normal FR and between the resistance of the headphone and the two level resistors the power is tamed... tamed but with plenty of headroom for any headphone... The source inputs to the amps is balanced 4.4mm to 3 pin XLR ... I got the cable from ifi audio https://ifi-audio.com/products/4-4mm-to-xlr-cable/ and that cable was connected to a Fiio BTR7 for wireless/PC USB connection and a direct balanced connection from the Fiio M15s via 4.4mm output (variable) and with the wireless BTR7 and Iphone and M15s were used for testing input sources....
both amps utilizing the 48 volt Power Supply.. I turned the volume down to zero on the source inputs, low gain, and the volume knobs on the amps to zero and powered the amps on... plugged in a Hifiman HE6sev2 into the HE adapter... adjusted the amp volume control to 50% and began to increase the volume of the source until I heard a faint sound... rechecked everything again... and adjusted the volume knobs on the amps to full on power and listened to the headphones to make sure I wasn't over powering them.... and once I felt it safe I started to adjust the output of the source until I reached a good listening level and played many many different kinds of songs... it sounded great... amazingly great... after playing with it for a couple more days I wanted to hear exactly what was being added/subtracted by the mono amp configuration so I pulled one of the amps out and configured the setup with just one amp driving the left/right outputs.... there was ample power from just a single amp and the sound signature was the same... it just didn't have the same amount of power, but plenty of power for headphones.... so the testing was going great and I decided to put different headphones on to test those with the setup... Hifiman HE1000v2 (great)... Hifiman HE6sev2 (great)... LCD-X (great)... LCD-XC (great)...
LCD-4 (great)...
so thats my story... and I'm sticking with it... do I think it will drive the Tungsten... an absolutely yes, with authority
How is the sound signature... I can honestly say it is at the Burson Conductor3XGT as a compare....
any questions... feel free to ask away...

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #1,552 of 3,179
I'm putting this out here just in case some are curious about the amp setup Zeos was showing while using the Tungsten.... so I watched many of the reviews on youtube for the Fosi ZA3 amps and they were all positive... at least for a speaker amp... the folks at Fosi got a request for them to add in the optional function of a mono amp switch... so two amps running mono ... one amp for left and one amp for right... sounds simple and for the price a very cool solution for a speaker setup...
So I was looking for youtube reviews on the Tungsten and there was Zeos with his desk setup and a couple different Tungstens, one pre production and one post production and I got curious what he was using for an amp... with a couple different youtube vids he tells you about the amps and another vid on how to build a XLR to banana cable to interface the ZA3 amps to the Tungsten... so I decide to try the setup myself and if I liked the headphone solution then great and if not then I'd just use the amps for my speakers... it was a win for me either way.... then Amir over at Audio Science Review posted his review of a Fosi Amp that is using the same Texas Instruments Chip -TI TPA3255 class D amplifier IC which on the specification page at Texas Instruments it is expecting to have a SPEAKER at the output of the Fosi Amp... if you look at the graphs Amir comments "Frequency response shows load dependency which all class D amplifiers in this price range show " and this is shown in the FR graph via a 4 ohm load and a 8 ohm load.... the graph shows that the Frequency and associated amplitude is elevated when the 8 ohm load is in place... and the 4 ohm load FR is perfect.. a Amir quote " In English, this means that depending on which speaker you use, the sound may be a bit bright or a bit dull if your hearing extends to 20 kHz. You can counter with EQ (which you better have for good sound in your room). " And with a Speaker of 4 ohm rating the FR is perfect for human hearing...
And this was all confirmed on the Texas Instruments Spec page.. you can read all about it here.. https://www.ti.com/product/TPA3255 ...
So right off the bat its obvious that the Amp Chip is expecting a Speaker and not a higher resistance headphone...Class D issue, part of the circuit is a speaker at the outputs.
I put together a list of parts that I think I needed to build up the exact system that Zeos was showing and to test it out. and awaited the parts to show.. then it was mentioned the setup could possibly be dangerous to your ears/headphones due to the elevated FR.... and so I dug into the specs a bit more and looked at the graph that Amir had posted... I came up with a couple of solutions to the potential issue by just adding the proper Resistive Load at the output of the Amps... the graph shows a perfect FR at 4ohm and so I bought power resistors (50watt) of 5 ohms and those were installed as shuts on the Amp outputs and on the other side of the shut R loads I placed the Zeos XLR interface cable... This solution works quite well but depending on your headphones sensitivity this doesn't help with the amount of power coming towards the headphone at the XLR connector.... So I wrote the Hifiman guys and they sent me a Hifiman HE adapter.. https://store.hifiman.com/index.php/he-adapter.html .... this small box has banana inputs and a single balanced XLR 4 pin output... but also has its own shunt resistor and level resistors to cut the power to the headphones.... so the setup ends up with a shunt resistor on the outputs of the amp to tame the FR elevation to normal FR and between the resistance of the headphone and the two level resistors the power is tamed... tamed but with plenty of headroom for any headphone... The source inputs to the amps is balanced 4.4mm to 3 pin XLR ... I got the cable from ifi audio https://ifi-audio.com/products/4-4mm-to-xlr-cable/ and that cable was connected to a Fiio BTR7 for wireless/PC USB connection and a direct balanced connection from the Fiio M15s via 4.4mm output (variable) and with the wireless BTR7 and Iphone and M15s were used for testing input sources....
both amps utilizing the 48 volt Power Supply.. I turned the volume down to zero on the source inputs, low gain, and the volume knobs on the amps to zero and powered the amps on... plugged in a Hifiman HE6sev2 into the HE adapter... adjusted the amp volume control to 50% and began to increase the volume of the source until I heard a faint sound... rechecked everything again... and adjusted the volume knobs on the amps to full on power and listened to the headphones to make sure I wasn't over powering them.... and once I felt it safe I started to adjust the output of the source until I reached a good listening level and played many many different kinds of songs... it sounded great... amazingly great... after playing with it for a couple more days I wanted to hear exactly what was being added/subtracted by the mono amp configuration so I pulled one of the amps out and configured the setup with just one amp driving the left/right outputs.... there was ample power from just a single amp and the sound signature was the same... it just didn't have the same amount of power, but plenty of power for headphones.... so the testing was going great and I decided to put different headphones on to test those with the setup... Hifiman HE1000v2 (great)... Hifiman HE6sev2 (great)... LCD-X (great)... LCD-XC (great)...
LCD-4 (great)...
so thats my story... and I'm sticking with it... do I think it will drive the Tungsten... an absolutely yes, with authority
How is the sound signature... I can honestly say it is at the Burson Conductor3XGT as a compare....
I may be misunderstanding but isn't the impedance to the headphones themselves still unchanged even after the changes you made, and the frequency response elevation issue would still be there?

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #1,553 of 3,179
Don’t tell me we gonna have to start a Susvara-style amp hunt for the Tungsten…

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 7:33 PM Post #1,554 of 3,179
I may be misunderstanding but isn't the impedance to the headphones themselves still unchanged even after the changes you made, and the frequency response elevation issue would still be there?
the impedance of the headphones does not come into play when a shunt resistor is in the amp stage path.... the headphone impedance is there but it can't over take the shunt...with the shunt resistor in place the resistor is acting as the speaker that the amp is expecting... in this calculator R1 is 5 ohm and R2 is the power limiting resistor plus the impedance of the headphone... use this calculator and plug in 5 for R1 and for R2 the resistance your headphone ... https://www.digikey.com/en/resource...rsion-calculator-parallel-and-series-resistor

Jan 30, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #1,555 of 3,179
Wait - I thought you could just go outside and they would run on solar energy? :thinking:

Jan 30, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,556 of 3,179
LCD-4 (great)...
Well that’s certainly encouraging as heck. I’ve read about the hifiman HE adapter but as I recall the resistor created additional sonic issues. To say its sound signature is at Burson levels is getting me really jazzed about this solution. I’m assuming you have the 4.4 to xlr dongle because that’s on your dac/pre? Also you aren't seeing much improvement in power over the two monoblock solution because they only bridge the power at 2ohm loads otherwise it's just a single side powering each amplifier.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #1,557 of 3,179
Wait - I thought you could just go outside and they would run on solar energy? :thinking:
My state gets its electricity from water, so I guess I just place it under a huge waterfall?

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #1,558 of 3,179
That's already a thing lol. A bit tricker to power than even the notorious Sus.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #1,559 of 3,179
My state gets its electricity from water, so I guess I just place it under a huge waterfall?
Speaking of solar power- i ran into a forum thread where dude was swearing his chain was better than everyone else bc he was "off grid". God powered sound LMAO.
Chain control, from Sun to driver.

Jan 30, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #1,560 of 3,179
Speaking of solar power- i ran into a forum thread where dude was swearing his chain was better than everyone else bc he was "off grid". God powered sound LMAO.
Chain control, from Sun to driver.
Amen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back