Mod and linearization of AKG K702
Jan 6, 2018 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Hitashi

New Head-Fier
I have a background in high end DIY Loudspeaker assembly and Crossover filtering. I have owned a great deal of headphones, and i stumpled upon a website called "innerfidelity" but what bothered me, were the fact that the frequency response graphs, didn't match up with what my ears were hearing at all, in fact so far from it, that it just puzzled me..!

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AKGK702.pdf

If that graph were true, 50hz - 100hz would be blasting out at enormous SPL relative to the upper midrange and the highs... This would be a very bassy warm sounding, with an obvious lack of mid and highs.

I had to find someone who knew how to measure a headphone, and i stumpled upon another site called "Rtings"
Here we have their measurements of K702:

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/1-1/graph#332/1184

NOW! this looked like a graph showing me exactly what i were hearing, a cold sterile sharp harsh aggressive headphone, with a huge spike in the upper mid, and gigantic spikes in the highs. Using 64bit ASIO direct parametric EQ filters from Jriver simply proved it to be true, filtering out the spikes worked out perfectly. By that time i had concluded that Innerfidelity's method of compensating the response, were completely in the woods.

Well long story short, you can make your K702 sound like an expensive florstander.
I'm used to the quality delivered by top shelf drivers like my beloved tweeter +- 0,5dB linear
http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/d2904-710002.pdf

I worked out a complete fix of the driver, this includes using the bass mod, which i will link in here, it's very easy, i did it in two seconds using only 2 nails and a tweezers. Here is a video guide

And then you download Jriver apply these Parametric EQ filters

267 hz
0.59 Q
-1,59 dB
------------
1111 hz
1,15 Q
+0,76 dB
-----------
2265 hz
0,91 Q
-5.43 dB
-----------
7097 hz
1.85 Q
-4 dB

Then, try and a/b test filters on, filters off.. This will show you exactly, how terribly harsh and peaky this headphone is from the manufactures side.

Feb 22, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #2 of 3
Hi Hitashi,

Thank you so much for this. It's been a love and hate relationship with my AKG K702 until I stumbled upon your post. The incredible soundstage, clarity, and instrument separation makes the AKG an astounding headphone. However, I quickly become tired of the sharpness and was looking for a way to make it sound "warmer". To my ears your EQ filters did exactly that.:o2smile:

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 3
Nearly bought a pair of Sennheiser HD600 when I saw this post. Incredible job finding the eq settings (along with a comprehensive demo of the bass mod), provides heaven-and-earth improvement over the stock settings. I’m mixing in my k702 with a lot more confidence and peace of mind. A++ your way, good sir 🙏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back