Mobile version of the site? Who would be in favour?
Feb 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #18 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is a very expensive proposition. though im sure headfi are making money, it still is not something to just jump on. most of us probably prefer to browse and post pictures via computers but... if a mobile site came out, i might just go for a few glances with my ipod touch. i still do that sometimes anyway.

Yes, I understand that, but I am mainly shooting at it being a contributor upgrade, costing more than todays contribution rates. More contributors = more money in, and more money for contribution = even more money in... If more people than just me would pay $10/20 a year. I don't post pics on my phone, just like to view the Portable rig threads etc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Erm, the regular site works fine on my iPod Touch. Perhaps you should get a mobile internet device with a decent browser? <grin>

Hmmm. Read up on Skyfire... Do you have full flash support?
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm pretty sure there was a thread like this made last year, and Jude said it was a good idea but it was towards the bottom of the list of things to do since it isn't a priority.

I think I saw it, but couldn't find it. I know, just wondering if it is still a possibility yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can browse this site alright on my phone (HTC Touch). The problem isn't with load times or anything, it's the side scrolling that gets annoying and keeps me away. There are other forums I browse on the go and they fit to the screen automatically, not sure what they are doing that head-fi is not...

Edit: just grabbed my phone and checked a few forums. Head-fi has the user name and avatar to the left of the post, the others seems to have them above the post. This makes it easier to see who posted what without scrolling left to see the user name. That's the only issue with this site for me...

Yeah, on an iphone/itouch it is okay, its the squarer resoloutions that this forum doesnt work best with... I mean, it's okay, just could be easier, and a tad faster.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamenthe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would be nice to have something to do during class
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, haha! I don't brose much now, but my 3G package is coming in the next couple of days. I leave early, incase my (single run, private) bus comes early, so have time to kill at the bus stop, then on the bus, then Im in school early (incase trafic is bad), then there is breaktime, lunchtime (doing research homeworks/debating something with a friend and hopping on wikipedia to prove them wrong
tongue.gif
), then on the bus on the way home!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, on BlackBerry devices, you have to go through ALL the stuff on the top and the sides before you reach the good stuff (aka the forum links).
But making a mobile version of this site would cost money indeed.

Yes, thats the worst bit... the "Can Jam 2009 (2009 International Head-Fi Meet) & The Most Recent Sponsored Threads" box is huge on my phone...

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Use Opera Mini. No problem surfing on head-fi.

I've used Opera, Opera Mini, Nokia Browser, and Skyfire... All have good bits. Skyfire's flash capability is great, and so is the zooming, but opera mini's zooming is as good/better, and the Nokia browsers page maps are great...

Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope no need for a mobile version. Get yourself a real pc instead.
evil_smiley.gif

I have a real PC, and a real laptop... I just dont take them to school/out and about.

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It would be nice!
But that said its certainly nothing I miss that much...

Same, but I would like it...
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Friend of mine checked the weather on his cell phone using the web and it cost him $2.50. Not interested.

I have an unlimited 3G package on my contract, as do MANY others these days.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not my cup of tea, but thats not to stop others

biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #20 of 28
I voted "Yes, Want!" as i do surf head-fi sometimes on my mobile phone, although, to be honest, the site is fine as it for surfing purposes, whether it be via a computer or phone.

Mar 3, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #21 of 28
It's is better now I guess... Less scrolling right to view the posts on every page, and no scrolling back to see who posted it on the odd occasion...

I would just pay for contributor 3 and get the ads removed (no scrolling right) but A) being a 16 y/o, I can't lay it out all at once, and would rather do a subscription 1, then renew and renew and renew, and B) if i'm contributing, I would like it to be even better mobile, and I would pay a little extra for it if i'm already contributing.

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #22 of 28
i voted yes, but now think no

you would still have the annoyance of ads on a mobile, new version or not

to get rid of those you can contribute on the normal site and they would be gone on the mobile

no need i think

i have only come across one forum thats good on a mobile

iphone here

Mar 3, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i voted yes, but now think no

you would still have the annoyance of ads on a mobile, new version or not

to get rid of those you can contribute on the normal site and they would be gone on the mobile

no need i think

i have only come across one forum thats good on a mobile

iphone here

The normal version of the site should be well off on your iPhone.

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 28
Mobile version of sites are fine for Blogs and news site. For forums, I don't see how you can go through (new) threads efficiently without proper tabbed browser.

Yeah if it can be implemented properly, but I've yet to see any mobile forum I'd use.

Especially one that operates at head-fi's breakneck speed.

Mar 13, 2009 at 10:48 PM Post #27 of 28
i dont have much problem surfing head-fi on my Sony Xperia....high resolution of 800X480 so can read entire posts without any horizontal scroll.

of course not many have such phones...

how about iphone?...can u guys read with ease?

Mar 14, 2009 at 6:49 AM Post #28 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont have much problem surfing head-fi on my Sony Xperia....high resolution of 800X480 so can read entire posts without any horizontal scroll.

of course not many have such phones...

how about iphone?...can u guys read with ease?

The iPod Touch is pretty awesome with Head-Fi. However, my Sidekick is much better... it sizes the page and everything- and I like to scroll with a button.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back