Mobile version of the site? Who would be in favour?
Feb 19, 2009 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Baines93

Headphoneus Supremus
I've searched. Found one thread, from 2004. Time have changed since then, as has technology.

I browse Head-Fi on my E-Series Nokia a fair bit, and soon will more with my incoming 3G package...(yes, addicted to you all, will be browsing and posting at the bus stop!
tongue.gif
)

So... Head-Fi loads pretty fast on all browsers I've tried on my phone, but the issue is not with speed, but ease. I know I can turn images off on my phone, and in my account, making the pages load faster, and easier to navigate, but my favourite threads revolve around images.

I for one would be more inclined to contribute (I know I could remove the ad's contributing too, but read: 16y/o, saving for car, jobless, student, but a mobile site with less ad's, rescaled pic's and a better, more phone friendly layout would push me off of the fence.)

So, who else is in favour?
---- who else would pay?
---- any tips/hints?

Any input Jude?

Thanks,

Matt
(posted from Skyfire fully capable flash browser on a Nokia E61
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 19, 2009 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 28
that is a very expensive proposition. though im sure headfi are making money, it still is not something to just jump on. most of us probably prefer to browse and post pictures via computers but... if a mobile site came out, i might just go for a few glances with my ipod touch. i still do that sometimes anyway.

Feb 19, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 28
I'm pretty sure there was a thread like this made last year, and Jude said it was a good idea but it was towards the bottom of the list of things to do since it isn't a priority.

Feb 19, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #5 of 28
I can browse this site alright on my phone (HTC Touch). The problem isn't with load times or anything, it's the side scrolling that gets annoying and keeps me away. There are other forums I browse on the go and they fit to the screen automatically, not sure what they are doing that head-fi is not...

Edit: just grabbed my phone and checked a few forums. Head-fi has the user name and avatar to the left of the post, the others seems to have them above the post. This makes it easier to see who posted what without scrolling left to see the user name. That's the only issue with this site for me...

Feb 19, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 28
in many sites u can go to User CP and set the skin as 'mobile'

so only for u ..a lighter version of the page loads.

i surf head-fi a lot with my Xperia X1...but due to its 800X480 resolution ..i dont have much problem...
sony-ericsson-xperia-x1.jpg

but even then..a lighter version will ensure the page is loaded & rendered faster

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:55 AM Post #8 of 28
Yeah, on BlackBerry devices, you have to go through ALL the stuff on the top and the sides before you reach the good stuff (aka the forum links).

But making a mobile version of this site would cost money indeed.

Feb 19, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #9 of 28
I've never seen a mobile version of a site that I actually liked. I always turn off the mobile version.

I use an iPhone, and have no trouble getting around with Safari.

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #12 of 28
i voted no, tbh im sure the site would work fine on my phone as it is but just wouldnt want to, i check for new messages and open anything interesting in a new tab and thats not really do able in a phone.

just use the normal site on your phone if you want to access the site

Feb 19, 2009 at 9:06 AM Post #13 of 28
it would be nice if it were like facebook. works really well with the itouch/iphone even though its not really a typical for mobile site

Feb 19, 2009 at 11:25 AM Post #15 of 28
It would be nice!
But that said its certainly nothing I miss that much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back