Mobile optimization
Aug 4, 2012 at 3:34 PM Post #17 of 34
evil_smiley.gif

As a well-known Stereophile columnist would say, "je ris mon mauvais rire" (I laugh my evil laugh).

OK, I'll daydream a little, FWIW:

HF is a huge, sophisticated, groundbreaking operation. It makes life much more enjoyable for thousands. It should not be allowed to fade into irrelevance because it has somehow developed a blind spot the size of a Mack truck.

At the very least it should hire top-notch developers and deliver flawless integration with Tapatalk or some equivalent. Better, it should deliver a standalone app, which could be based on licensed code. Although there is an argument to be made for a mobile version of the site, which should be easier to run within the kind of app Facebook currently delivers for iOS (they are building a native app now, however).

Also I think HF should not hesitate to require payments from end-users. A buck or two per end-user would cover a lot of expenses, with widespread adoption. Payments could be made in advance too, Kickstarter-like, to crowd-fund the initiative. I'd put in a clam or two for a full mobile experience. Even more to avoid ads, much as I enjoy window-shopping, because they destroy usability on small devices.

Challenge the sponsors/advertisers for financial support too. That will test their commitment to the platform and the community. One of the best arguments HF can use is the value of its large, focused user base in terms of marketing/market research. It probably has no equivalent and they sure would want it to keep growing.

Aug 4, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #18 of 34
Quote:
Although there is an argument to be made for a mobile version of the site, which should be easier to run within the kind of app Facebook currently delivers for iOS (they are building a native app now, however).

OK, I'll take that back to defer to WiR3D's previous caveat regarding this approach.

Aug 4, 2012 at 5:09 PM Post #19 of 34
And the sound coming from huddler is like nothing at a deafness convention. 

Nov 29, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #21 of 34
Wow just went online after a week and notice the mobile version of HF! So far I like it!

Dec 3, 2012 at 4:04 AM Post #24 of 34
I decided to browse head-fi on the train last week through my phone.
I was pleasantly surprised at the mobile layout/version.

Great job, especially with the mobile version's means of following subscriptions. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #25 of 34
Haven't been on the forum for a few weeks, pleasantly surprised to find the new mobile version. Good job! I always browse on either iPad or iPhone.

Jan 27, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #27 of 34
Only thing is, it sucks donkey balls with Chrome on android. Chrome tries to automatically zoom, and the text input cursor jumps to random places. 

Owell, Dolphin browser works.

Jan 29, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #28 of 34
I responded to a classified on the mobile version and the PM went to my sent files but didn't have a subject or the person I sent it to.  I'm assuming they never got it and without a subject, I can't reopen it. (safari - iOS)

Also I've noticed that I have to use the mobile version to get my subscriptions to move to the too on my iPhone when there is activity.  Using the desktop version on my iPhone keeps them in their original order. (safari - iOS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back