Mobile optimization
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 34

WiR3D

We intend to hurt him...quite a bit. very_evil_smiley.gif
Being a programmer, especially in the mobile side of things, i get very frustrated when trying to enjoy Head-Fi on a mobile device such as a tab or phone, and I do think, especially with the large number of members having smartphones, that this site really could benefit from a mobile optimized version, or a Tapatalk optimized client (even if its pay for.)

It is frustrating and breaks often when using Mobile browsers: opera mobile, dolphin HD, dolphin Mini, stock CM7 and stock CM9 browsers.

Apr 17, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #2 of 34
This forum IS on Tapatalk. I have the Tapatalk app on my phone, and frequent thsi forum from it. 

But, it does have its issues. For some reason. when i try to post in certain threads, it'll tell me that i can't be connected tot he forum. Yet, i can still refresh and view threads/posts and make posts in other threads. This happens the most in the Portable thread.

Frustrating, but it's there.

Apr 17, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #3 of 34

Quote:
This forum IS on Tapatalk. I have the Tapatalk app on my phone, and frequent thsi forum from it. 

But, it does have its issues. For some reason. when i try to post in certain threads, it'll tell me that i can't be connected tot he forum. Yet, i can still refresh and view threads/posts and make posts in other threads. This happens the most in the Portable thread.

Frustrating, but it's there.

I mean follow the example of some other sites, where its a seperate client, thats free.

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #5 of 34
Yes it crashes for me with odd thread, where it wont submit. Really dodgey.

Jun 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #8 of 34
have you guys [head-fi tech team] considered a stand alone Tapatalk client like XDA has? Can you let us know what is happening at present?

Jun 7, 2012 at 4:24 AM Post #9 of 34
This this this this. Headfi is probably the worst browsing experience on a mobile device i have ever experienced. right now im replying and i cant even see my cursor. it doesnt capitalize either. when im not lazy, i actyally havr to open up a seperate text program and cut and paste.

thats not all thoufh. the pages continually spaz out and reload to the top of the page. i actually have to wait before scrilling, and even then it does random reloads. the desktop site sucks too. the spell check is the most unintiative thing ever.

why cant you use the same template every ither forum in the world runs. or hire new programmers.

Jun 7, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #10 of 34
Quote:
This this this this. Headfi is probably the worst browsing experience on a mobile device i have ever experienced. right now im replying and i cant even see my cursor. it doesnt capitalize either. when im not lazy, i actyally havr to open up a seperate text program and cut and paste.

thats not all thoufh. the pages continually spaz out and reload to the top of the page. i actually have to wait before scrilling, and even then it does random reloads. the desktop site sucks too. the spell check is the most unintiative thing ever.

why cant you use the same template every ither forum in the world runs. or hire new programmers.

Being a programmer, and a web programmer, I disagree, the desktop site is well thought out, but its obvious a few features were "tact" on after the original development.
But mostly its a good experience, especially in chrome. But the spellcheck is annoying, chrome picks up the errors but you cant right click and correct it like on the standard open source forum stuff.

But the mobile experience is a real disaster, like really bad. And TBH reprogramming for each new tapatalk plugin is stupid, it wastes developer time and costs a lot of money. Because doing [small changes, testing] can run into many many many cycles and really does eat away time. I honestly think a standalond tapatalk client like XDA-developers have is the best way to go, may be a little bit more upfront, but will save a mountain of money and time over even the first few months. 

Why they don't do it, is really beyond me. 

And also making a mobile website of this is a no-no, it will be too complex and too slow, its NOT worth the money IMHO, it could probably cost more then the desktop site to develop. And I cannot fathom anyone seriously considering this.

Jun 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #12 of 34

Definitely the worst for me. Everything I need to click twice for it to register.

Jun 15, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #13 of 34
or the dodgey zooming, its a nightmare. Still no update on any solution.
I still think they should follow XDA-developers example.

Aug 3, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 34
I can navigate and post in Tapatalk but no search function, and the app throws up error messages pointing to a 3rd party plugin developer as causing integration breakdowns.

Naturally, the website is essentially unusable except on a PC or Mac, which means it is getting left behind fast by rapidly evolving lifestyles and work environments.

Considering the massive shift toward touchscreen devices BOTH as music sources AND as Internet interfaces, I would guess Head-Fi has painted itself into a corner if it cannot deliver on mobile, especially iOS because of the iPad's massive dominance online.

Now HF is really optimized for user interaction including users running a business. It is very much a marketplace. Advertising, customer communications, reviews, and trading are essential to HF. If HF fails to operate in mobile Safari or through a rock-solid app, it is leaving the door wide open for a competitor to deliver the missing mobile, 24/7 experience to its user base. That means the sponsors and advertisers will walk followed by the main user contingent if that competitor emerges. And once they migrate they won't come back.

So, these technical complaints point to a potentially serious problem for HF's bottom line. The user base could jump ship absent a mobile strategy. Maybe we should expect some reassurances here. Heavy users have a huge work investment in HF. Casual users make it their first stop for personal audio. We'd all like to know that the HF team has indeed figured out which way the wind is blowing and that it is acting accordingly.

Aug 3, 2012 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 34
Or how about the entire marketing department is forced to use tapatalk or a mobile browser and engage actively in the community, then lets see how they change their lax opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back