mobile (cell) phones + internet
Dec 29, 2009 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

anoobis

500+ Head-Fier
I've only recently been looking at mobiles that can access the internet (I know, stuck in the dark ages!). Anyway, it seems that apart from Blackberrys and iPhones, it's mostly a cut down service, with login sites being a problem. What I'm trying to find out, is how much/little is accessible.

For instance, is it possible in general to use:
Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
(i.e. fully log in and post)
play.com etc. (to actually purchase items)
banking websites
yahoo and hotmail email?

Is there anything in general that one would normally use that won't work?

Cheers.

Dec 29, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Well, that depends on your browser. Most phones have the availability of different, third-party, web browsers.

93% of mobile web browsers don't have flash support. Flash allows you to see some websites with animations and watch YouTube video.

Opera mini, which I use most of the time, will easily do head-fi and many other sites... but it has no flash support. It would probably do banking easily, might do yahoo and hotmail, and play.com won't load for me ATM so I'm not sure on that one.

Skyfire does pretty much everything(has flash support), but is big and heavy. You literally view web pages in their normal formatting and not optimized for a tiny screen, which I find inconvenient. It also is only available for S60(nokia) and Windows mobile phones.

email is probably better handled by your phone's email client. With a data plan you get the convenience of automatically receiving emails.

Dec 30, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 5
Skyfire is not always elegant, but it is very very fast and can do almost any website. I use it on my HTC Snap (Windows Mobile). The iPhone should be able to do any website very well, since it is so ubiquitous and trendy that companies will tend to cater directly to its users.

Jan 2, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the replies. Think I'll wait until the next wave arrives and see where things stand.

Cheers.

Jan 3, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #5 of 5
I think the next gen iPhone OS will have Flash support. Otherwise, the iPhone gets me everywhere I want online. I've made thousands of posts from the iPhone. The laptop is better, but I'm rarely at home and the iPhone lets me get online wherever I am.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back