Mmm. In all this search for the perfect reproduction, are we missing the point?
Dec 31, 2014 at 6:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

migasson

100+ Head-Fier
Hey.

As per the above title.

I'm thinking, once we've got close to our perfect sound, instead of tweaking, selling, purchasing, trying to get that extra 5% aren't we missing the point? Shouldn't we just say, "stop!" And listen to the actual music? Hear what the artist is trying to communicate?

You know, just enjoy the freaking tunes instead of fart arsing around with the selling/buying/tweaking?

End with the microscoping of equipment? Listen to the bloody tunes?

Dec 31, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 17
I think OP means the entire audio hobby in general, why don't we get to a duration we're satisfied and enjoy the music, stop purchasing, hunting, researching etc.

As much many of us would like too Its not that simple. Surrounding  the hobby is a tremendous amount of curiosity and an urge to take things further, even if we find something we're overly satisfied with you tend to become immune after a certain duration and return. Another aspect is it doesn't really need to be a headphone.

I can think of three people off the top of my head who all purchased their 'end game; headphone' Sennheiser HD800 but it didn't end there. Since they had the headphone their focus turned to buying greater amps, DACs, cables to extract as much potential possible, so it doesn't matter what part of the hobby you find satisfying you'll move onto other things audio releated

Another friend of mine who had all his 'end game' IEM said 'I'm done with purchases' and he did to some extent try to enjoy the music. But all he found was he started analyzing samples, bit rates searching for CD's that weren't victim of loudness wars, although he tried really hard to 'be done' he simply focused on something else audio related.

It was a lost cause for the last story anyway because like my first paragraph suggested he become immune to his gear and began purchasing IEM's again.

We're all doomed, there is no end...

Dec 31, 2014 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Ha! I am with the OP. You really need to take the time to enjoy your MUSIC, rather than your kit.

Same is happening in photography where pixel peepers go into the greatest length of technical discussions but hardly take photos and become better photographers. It's not the tool that creates, its the person behind it. Same with headphones, I am happy that I can't listen for longer than 10-15 minutes "critically" before losing myself in my music and just enjoy it.

Sure gearomania is addictive, but a small dose of gearophobia is good too :)

Cheers,
K

P.S.: End of the year - time to reflect and question the status quo 

Dec 31, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 17
Thanks all for the input so far:)

The whole point of the question is to stimulate discussion - I for one is asking the question, not making a statement... I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.....

Dec 31, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 17
Honestly some of the most enjoyable sessions i have ever had were with a lowly ipod mini and and an old random dusty pair of earbuds, i am not expecting anything so just enjoy rather than picking flaws and wondering what might have been! So in that respect i feel Head fi has actually diminished my love of music and enhanced my OCD!

Jan 1, 2015 at 5:37 AM Post #10 of 17
I listen to my gear+music and I enjoy it much - then I see a new gear+reviews online and I switch to "me want" mode very fast.

So is the balance between enjoying/buying possible?

I think its very personal, my story in short is: yes, I was buying/switching gear a lot (for a few years), and now I've stopped (few months ago).
I don't have a the most expensive "dream gear", but its my own choice, a price/performance compromise that makes me happy.
Going back, from "purchasing, hunting, researching" mode to listening ain't so easy (every time) in my case.

Jan 2, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #12 of 17
I do enjoy music, don't get me wrong, I don't sit there in meditation posture picking an instrument's current frequency as it plays in the background - just I tend to listen to the same music over and over again, albums I know are mastered well or fit the IEM's signature (genre related). Its actually a good question the OP brings up, one that's crossed my mind several times. I think Head-fi is a big part of this question as: forums are addictive > online purchasing is addictive > audio is addictive.

Once I leave Head-fi each session I tend to forget about buying more gear or researching, like leaving eBay or amazon, but because forums (any forum) tends to draw you back constantly even only to check on a product threads or if Bob tried to disagree with you and ruin your credibility you fall back into the same repetitive routine. Before you know it you're contemplating whether you can afford that $2400 USD DAP, and putting off taking your kids to he zoo.

Jan 2, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #13 of 17
  I do enjoy music, don't get me wrong, I don't sit there in meditation posture picking an instrument's current frequency as it plays in the background - just I tend to listen to the same music over and over again, albums I know are mastered well or fit the IEM's signature (genre related). Its actually a good question the OP brings up, one that's crossed my mind several times. I think Head-fi is a big part of this question as: forums are addictive > online purchasing is addictive > audio is addictive.

Once I leave Head-fi each session I tend to forget about buying more gear or researching, like leaving eBay or amazon, but because forums (any forum) tends to draw you back constantly even only to check on a product threads or if Bob tried to disagree with you and ruin your credibility you fall back into the same repetitive routine. Before you know it you're contemplating whether you can afford that $2400 USD DAP, and putting off taking your kids to he zoo.

Listening to the same albums when so many good releases are available??! Don't you feel you are missing out?

Jan 2, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Listening to the same albums when so many good releases are available??! Don't you feel you are missing out?

Hmm, not really, it's not like the other music is going anywhere if I miss the bus. I'll catch a later train and still arrive on time.

Jan 15, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #15 of 17
Thanks all for the input so far:)

The whole point of the question is to stimulate discussion - I for one is asking the question, not making a statement... I'm curious to see what everyone else thinks.....

IMO there's not much discussion to be had; we aren't talking about anything particularly novel. 

1) Some people get addicted to buying and selling equipment. If they enjoy that, what's the problem? 
2) Some people get addicted to just focusing on the equipment. If they enjoy that, what's the problem? It's the same as collecting stamps, coins, or beanie babies. 
3) Some people love music and want better equipment to make it sound better. 
4) Some people think music is ok and then, upon finding great headphones, delve into the hobby and love music more. 

Regardless, that drive or addiction is why you can live in a heated or cooled home, drive a car, and get to work on some paved street with order and law. Without "us" you'd be living in a cave or hut somewhere. It's the people who are addicted, who mod, who buy and sell, that have pushed us to where we are as a race. In a way, of course. 

Back on topic...

Other than those 4 options, there's really nothing else... interesting? To answer your question, you're just not as enthusiastic about it as much of us here; it's like me going to a history museum, as a foreigner, and wondering what the hub-ub is all about. It isn't relevant to me unless I feel personally connected OR can find meaning in it. 

So... maybe you could learn more about yourself from your own post than how we feel? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back