MK3 John Kenny S/PDIF to Burson HA-160D problem
Oct 1, 2011 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Freazy

Head-Fier
Hi there,just received my MK3 JKSPDIF unit connected to my Burson HA-160D with Audeze LCD-2 HP and wanted to listen to some music to try out the MK3.
Im using this configuration with my HTPC with Windows 7 at the current moment.
I installed the 20db attenuator on the MK3 with the little piece on the attenuator for my S/PDIF cable and then S/PDIF cable to my dac.
I immediately started with a high resolution file 24-bit 192 khz because the Burson HA-160D cant play those files through USB,its limited to 24/96 khz
I use J. River Media Centre 16 and WASAPI (event style),i think all settings are good otherwise.
Well when i play the high res. files i'm getting some really weird noise together with the playing off the music through my LCD-2.
It's a crackling and scratching kinda noise,it only does this with high res. files,with 44.1 khz files it plays just fine..
The crackling and scratching noises still continue when i click 'stop' or shut down the audio player.I can stop it by either shutting down the MK3 or playing a 44.1 khz song.
I tried Kernel streaming and the same thing occurs.
I increassed the amount off buffering miliseconds to no avail,still the same.
Now the weird thing is when i choose 'Direct Sound' everything plays like a charm but the downside from direct sound is that the windows sounds arent diabled and its not bit perfect.
I dont know whats wrong,i installed the drivers correctly and Windows 7 recognizes the MK3 just fine
I tried it on my fathers laptop with Windows 7 (i figured it could be my HTPC USB controller chip thats no good) but i got same results.
Seems a software problem although when i play the test files sounds(all above 48 khz)  in windows it is also all distorted and weird sounds:

Any ideas on how to solve this problem??

Nov 15, 2012 at 7:32 AM Post #2 of 2
Not sure, but maybe the attenuator reduces the signal strength to DAC too much so the DAC cannot really pick it up. Only speculating...
Try without attenuator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back