Mixing issues: Audio Interface/Impedance/Open or closed - K240 or KRK KN6400
Feb 14, 2013 at 3:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fernandokolbe

New Head-Fier
After a few researches, I'm finally between only two headphones (that fits my budget and my purpouses), and my doubts go beyond the simply "which one is better". And you know, I've read a lot of different things about them, and thats quite confusing, so I hope you guys could help me out!

Here are some things I've read about for you to tell me if they're right and which one is better for me.

First, some info:

My objective: Better mixing as its possible for a headphone, the closer to monitors as I can get (
triportsad.gif
).

Audio Interface: M-Audio Fast Track II

-

Contestants:

1) AKG K240 (55 ohms)

Pros: The semi-open design makes mixing better.
Cons1) Slightly altered low frequencies, making bass sound strong; 2) The slightly high impedance (55 ohms) will make the phone not be too loud on my Fast Track II.

2) KRK KNS6400 (36 ohms)

Pros: Very flat sound, very detailed, very comfortable.
Cons: Closed-back design is worst for mixing (which leads to a contraditory statement, I've read many people say this is the better one for mixing, but also its closed back?)

-

The questions:

1) Will the AKG K240 have significantly lower volume cause of its impedance on Fast Track II? Or The Fast Track has enough power to drive it? Is impedance, in this case, a factor that should make me go KNS6400 instead of K240, or you would still prefer the AKG's cause of the semi-open design?

2) Which one will give me a better perspective of a mix, considering sound fidelity? Better question: If you had to choose one of them to mix for the rest of your life (hope you dont need to choose that ever), which would be your choice?

-

Hope I made myself clear. 
atsmile.gif

If you guys needs more info to help me, just say and I'll provide it. Don't posted this in recommendation thread as I think this is a little more complete issue with a lot of implications. Hope I judged right.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back