miu mr2 pro
Apr 29, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #62 of 82

Quote:
I had a few minutes and took a look. They come apart quite easily so here's a pic. you can see that they are out of phase with each other. they are now repaired and with a few hours of break in so far, I think they're competitive at the price but not the sort of thing I personally go for. Too much bottom for me right now but we'll see after some break in. The mid to high balance etc is quite good and even though they're a bit splashy on the top, I think it's better than most at this range. Sock tips are pretty useless. Sony hybrids too damped, the faux hybrids pretty good but I like the tips from cheap Brainwavz the best so far. A tip that I happen to find works well for a lot of things and doesn't get much mention. Do I prefer a PL50 or Brainwavz M1? Yes but I'm not a bass head and think these are probably better than M6s which is plenty good  enough for the price if you like a lot of extra bass. I haven't heard an IE8 but I fully suspect that it has a more refinement on top and better boogie in general. What is nice about this phone with the right tips so far is the mid to top balance. No they don't extend to infinity or have extra sparkle but they don't present themselves as missing any highs and the octave to octave balance through the mids and top is actually pretty good for this price. I'd say a little upper mid rise which allows the extra bass to work OK. I think less filter would give them too much presence, at least with the tip I prefer. The balance may have fooled the IE8 reviewer into thinking they're more than they are. They've got some info but shouldn't be compared to a top tier. The mids aren't thick as you'd expect with a phone this bass heavy. Not a boom tinkle phone. Just a boom phone.
biggrin.gif
Oh, if you look at the pic, you'll see that the back of the drivers are sealed so no venting to speak of and no worries about getting a seal on reassembly.

Hey goodvibes.. Could you please show us how the wires should be placed to fix this out of phase problem for those of us who aren't sure how to fix it.. The pic is a little blurry and I'm not sure which wire goes where to fix this if my pair as this problem.. Mine still hasn't arrived but hopefully they will real soon.. Thanks.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:33 PM Post #63 of 82
+ and - aren't marked but basically, the colored cable goes to the bottom R solder position and the clear/copper to the L. I assumed that the unit on the right needed to be switched. As long as the copper color is on the same side on both, you're in phase. I'm still hoping mine was a one off. Stuff happens.

May 5, 2011 at 9:02 AM Post #64 of 82

Quote:
+ and - aren't marked but basically, the colored cable goes to the bottom R solder position and the clear/copper to the L. I assumed that the unit on the right needed to be switched. As long as the copper color is on the same side on both, you're in phase. I'm still hoping mine was a one off. Stuff happens.

Thanks for the reply goodvibes it was very helpful.. I was away from the computer for a few days and I just saw your reply. Maybe I won't even have to worry about my MR2 Pro's having this problem since they still haven't arrived to me yet.. This package as been the longest wait of any item I've ever had shipped from China yet.. Were these shipped by Airmail? I'm beginning to think a Canadian Customs worker claimed these for himself..
smile.gif

May 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #67 of 82
Mine finally arrived.. Very nice packaging.. I've listened to them for about 2-3 hours now and I like them better than the Meelec M6.. They sound pretty good to me but the build quality doesn't seem that great as indicated by the posts above mine unfortunately.. :frowning2: I'll let them burn in for a few hours to see what happens..

May 9, 2011 at 10:00 AM Post #68 of 82
Received the MR2-Pro from Ivan of Miu Audio about 2 weeks ago. Item are received in a very good condition and nice packaging. Here is my review after my casual listening over these period. As this is the first time I am doing it, please bear with me if there are any areas which are unclears or not well written.

Packaging
IEM is contained in a well designed hard cover box, fastened using magnet. My first impression of the packaging is that Miu Audio must have placed quite alot of effort as the packaging look exquisite and does not look cheap at all. The only downsize would be the paper/recyclied material used to hold the IEM, tips and casing. The material gives out tiny dust like particles which would affect the visual of the otherwise great looking packaging.

Accessories
Tips - Quality of tips provided is rather lacking. During insertion to the ear, the core of the tips would frequency flex. Difficult to achieved good seal with the stop tips and it seems that a good seal is extremely important in order to get good sound quality.
Cable Slider - Not present

Build Quality
Cable - Soft and rubbery. Reminded me of apple stock earbud, which is good as it does not tangle easily.
Overall - Quite decent build quality. However, the plastic gives off undesirable odour for the first few days of use.

Low
Bass is impactful and its presence can really be felt. That is to say, the bass does not feel artificial or fake at all. The bass quality improved and gets less boomy as burn-in is allowed.

Mid
I find the mid quite decent. Its clarity might not be as  clear as RE 02 however, I find it sufficient for casual listener like myself. It is warm and does not induce fatique even after long hour of listening

High
The IEM is slightly lacking in the high. I observed slight sibilance when listening to certain tracks. Im not sure if this is the correct way of describing, however I find that the high in the track is not  'as sharp and as high' as those observed using RE 02. This area is definitely the IEM weakness.

Conclusion
This IEM is great for pop or other similiar tracks with bass as it is able to present the lows extremely well.

May 13, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #69 of 82

[size=9.5pt]Okay, so after about a month of sitting on my desk, waiting to be tried out, I put the miu-audio mr2 Pros on. I've had about 100 hours on them and now have started my review. I'm using no amp, no extras, so if my assumptions are correct, I would be one of the mass of normal people. I have still to get an amp (I’m being held back because of costs right now)[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Packaging: Ohh..magnetss.. besides that, it looks very professional. Only concern I have is the rubberish stuff that holds the IEMs and accessories. That could end up becoming very annoying. Something more like velour at this price range could do wonders for presentation. [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Extras: I have one thing to say about the extras. I had to switch to triple flanges to make me feel good using these and getting a good seal. The stock ones are terrible. No offense.  [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Headphones themselves: No strain reliefs. I’ve been using these basically everyday and it tangles very easily. I have to do a loop on the hands in order to fit properly in and not tangle.  The wire doing the over the ears are not staying there but flying around. It’s getting annoying like that. I’m planning to get some sort of memory wire added on the outside so that the wire isn’t so annoying.[/size]

[size=9.5pt]Sound:[/size]
[size=9.5pt]Lows: It might generally be like this, but I feel as though IEMs are more intimate. I listened to my Grados afterwards, and even though the grados were clearer on the lows, I felt as if they were distant. It’s also muddy. On my cleanest tracks that are bass heavy, the bass gets lost in the thump. However, for this price range, it’s something pretty useful.[/size]
[size=9.5pt]Mids: listening to orchestra is pretty interesting on this. I can hear the mids clearly, but I swear there’s something veiled within the music. I never really got it, but I think I could possibly Kramer mod it. [/size]
[size=9.5pt]High: I can’t hear anything above 18k on a good day. Looking at the frequency graph of foobar 2k, I see the highs, can’t feel it. [/size]

[size=9.5pt]Overall, I would leave the door open, as this is 1, my first review, and 2, I haven’t really listened critically. I do know that this is a rather fun pair of headphones to listen to. However, I would like to see what miu audio can do with a bit of improvements here and there. [/size]

Songs:
Bass check – My creation (I just made a repeat track of bass “thumps”, the one proceeding is lower by 50 hz from 2000 hz going down)
Binarpilot: Robot Wars
Star Wars: Imperial Death March – John Williams
Iron Man – Black Sabbath

May 14, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #70 of 82
I'm thinking people aren't hearing the same things, the XB500 has more bass than the HD650. Might be a fit issue on the tips; bass increases or decreases dramatically based on fit.

If you are hearing very little bass compared to the HD650, which is really just a slightly bit more bassy than average can, then your Mius must be really bass light. Most of the other reports seem to point to the Mius as bass monsters. I'll finally be getting mine tomorrow so I will be able to hear for myself. I have HD650s, XB700s and a bunch of other bassy IEMs like the IE8, Turbines, Turbine Golds, and Metro.Fi to compare these with. I'm getting really excited now.

Quote:
Really? Bass didnt feel too strong to me.. well atleast comparing them to a HD-650 :D

May 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM Post #71 of 82

That's really true. I'm using triple flanges, so they insert REALLY deep.
Quote:
I'm thinking people aren't hearing the same things, the XB500 has more bass than the HD650. Might be a fit issue on the tips; bass increases or decreases dramatically based on fit.

If you are hearing very little bass compared to the HD650, which is really just a slightly bit more bassy than average can, then your Mius must be really bass light. Most of the other reports seem to point to the Mius as bass monsters. I'll finally be getting mine tomorrow so I will be able to hear for myself. I have HD650s, XB700s and a bunch of other bassy IEMs like the IE8, Turbines, Turbine Golds, and Metro.Fi to compare these with. I'm getting really excited now.

May 16, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #72 of 82
I just got mine. 

My initial impression: These are Fantastic.

I'm not ready to say they're better than the IE8, but they definitely belong to the euphonic category of IEMs, with great company among stuff like the Monster Turbine Golds and the IE8. 

I will also say: the build quality is horrible, I actually broke mine while swapping tips. I noticed the stock tips have too small a hole for the nozzle, which is why it's so hard to get them on. They ahve the same size nozzle as the Shure tips, but that doesn't mean you can use the Olives on these. I tried, I broke them as a result, because the Olives have a thick rubber case that doesn't stretch like the cheap thin silicon of the stock tips.

I found though that Monster tips fit these perfectly, including the Super Tips.

The sound is great. I haven't heard a soundstage like this from a dynamic IEM since the IE8 and Vmoda Vibe. This has better soundstage than the vibe actually, which much better imaging and instrument placement and separation. It is nowhere close to beating the UM3X for separation, but it is better than the Turbine Golds or the Vibes, and most likely is better than the IE8 as well -- gotta go get me an IE8 first to check for sure. Separation is probably on par with the Metro.Fi 220 at least, might be better (will check tomorrow).

Mids are not as thick and luscious as the Golds but are better defined.
Highs are crisper than IE8 or Golds, but not yet harsh so far. 

I think these IEMs might be fatiguing though after a long session, will continue to listen, as the treble is much more prominent and not particularly smooth. I will see if they are really good or not after a few hours of listening.

Bass is fantastic. Full, powerful, deep, with a strong kick when asked to deliver. There is a bit of mids bleed but not that much, there isn't a gigantic midbass hump like on the Eternas, and the definition in the mids and highs is still there, unlike the ultra muddy Eternas.  Oh, and these do not have more bass than the XB500 or XB700. I'm thinking someone drove them with the same source and volume level, and of course the IEM would have more bass because it is louder at the same levels... who knows? But for sure the XB700s have more bass than these when driven properly, volume matching. These do not have as much bass as the JVC FX500, and the XB700 has more bass than those. These are bassier than the HD650s, too, by the way.

All in all I am loving these so far. I'll see if I still share these impressions tomorrow.

As for fit, I'm lucky with these I guess. I got an excellent fit with the stock tips. I traded them though for monster soft flex tips (treated with Blu Tak inside for better fit and isolation). Even with stock tips though the isolation on these was excellent, better than any of the IEMs I have on hand right now (Golds and Vibes). Due to the cheap build and crappy plastic, they are light as a feather and don't fall out of my ears at all. Lovely.  That was always my issue with the Turbine line, which were never comfortable and whose weight always made them slip out, even when using a shirt clip. these are a lot more convenient to use, and I appreciate that. 

So in summary, sometimes being cheap has its payoff, haha. The bulid is really lousy, I broke it within minutes, but it was easy to fix as the nozzles are apparently a separate tube that are just glued on to the main body. I broke it off probably because the glue gave way while I was tugging the Shure Olives out, so some super glue fixed it right as new. 

May 16, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #73 of 82

Quote:
hmm my nozzel thing broke.

My nozzle broke, too, after like 10 minutes. Easy to fix though with a little superglue. But really horrible build quality. Lousy, lousy.   I guess they had to cut corners somewhere for the $50 price point. 

May 16, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #74 of 82
There seem to be a variable build quality issue on these things.

Mine were among the first to arrive, and other than the mods I've done, they're still in perfect condition o3o
They don't open easy as well, mine seems very properly sealed.

They've been tugged at, slept on, slept with, worn out in the rain etc.

Oh, the sound gets a lot better post 200 hours and punching a hole on the filters =3
No longer as boomy and isn't bass heavy compared to the Klipsch Custom 3 while both earphones use the exact same eartips (Atrio M8 L size BiFlange)
The bass was huge at first when benched against both the SM3 and th KC3, but now my Meelec M6 easily outpowers it on the bass boom dept.

May 16, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #75 of 82
I like the driver and nozzle itself after blu tak dampen the back of the housing they sound good(althought not my cup of tea). I should really rewrite my crappy review. The plastic housing they use resonates alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back