Mitchell & Johnson – Electrostatz Headphones, Kickstarter Edition
Feb 8, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #31 of 104
OK, do they don't share the K340s' "Sextett" ABR technology...

Feb 8, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #32 of 104
The internal arrangement of the K-340 is an incredible design. Great thought, development & tuning went into the use of passive diaphragms and acoustic resistances in a circular internally baffled fashion around the circumference of the interior. The 2 drivers of the hybrid result placed centrally is applauded.

Awaiting some great things to come from M & J. The CES video briefly mentions the 4-5-6 types of models to market. The current wood cup model seems to possibly be the type they are targetting toward the "beats" enthusiasts, as shown by model in CES video. The 2 types shown as Audiophile and Studio models seem to be the flagship TOTL, and interested in how these 2 will sound. Price has to be kept very low on these 2 M & J to be competitive; there are many fine headphones in both these categories with a wide price range - even some models from entry & midprice competitors have stellar performance either in the pro studio or for home audiophiles.

Eager to see M & J produce these 2 TOTL flagship models at a low price point with great sound. Hoping also for option on these 2 flagship category models for either in-line corded bulge transformers or boxes in-line, or even the tradional energizer transformer box option to wire to loudspeaker-amp out taps. Since the pro-studio & home audiophile models don't target portability, this transformer option would be nice to have for use in-house, as a buying option if cups are tuned for the modification.

There are some very fine vintage electrets, despite this newer electret technology, and are not to be easily dismissed. Most electrostatic enthusiasts rate the electret model Sony ECR-500 tops among electrets. Own 2 pair of these - they are exceptional. Along with a similar designed Pioneer and 2 other very rare Sony's which hardly ever are seen worldwide, these are at the very top of the electret list for sound. And, the Sony does achieve uncanny remarkably deep, thunderous, impactful bass. Imaging on this headphone is fantastic. Some say it was the finest electret made. Stax SR-30 Pro (Professional version) is often used as the standard to compare against. Own this also - a very sensational electret headphone, absolutely exquisite.

Feb 9, 2016 at 4:28 AM Post #33 of 104
Couldn't resist and had to know. The cups are made of solid wood and not veneer as I presumed earlier. My apologies to Mitchell & Johnson and team for questioning your specs. The review text has been amended. Still can't believe it, but here's the proof

A lot of additional pictures are added to the review, have a look

Feb 10, 2016 at 4:58 AM Post #36 of 104
Due to the flu I have not been able to do the STAX comparisons yet, I was hoping to do so before the campaign ends. With just a few hours left before the Electrostatz campaign ends I don't see the opportunity to have it done by today, sorry about that. The comparisons should be up before this weekend though and hopefully will get you a better insight in what/what not to expect from these cans.

Feb 10, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #38 of 104
  Due to the flu I have not been able to do the STAX comparisons yet, I was hoping to do so before the campaign ends. With just a few hours left before the Electrostatz campaign ends I don't see the opportunity to have it done by today, sorry about that. The comparisons should be up before this weekend though and hopefully will get you a better insight in what/what not to expect from these cans.

Flu come at the right time :) I think we should have a small contest which will wins.

Turn on newbie mode: I still guess Stax will still lead the best SQ.

As you remember, I suggest we could use this music as a test from fainted and slowly increasing to normal volume.
If the vocal is either recessed or too sharp, either HP or DAC need tuning. (vocal is excel at nuance and high treble)
If cello and piano is do not produce enough low bass I guess it's not excel at playing this song. (cello is excel at low bass and piano is excel at timbre)
If the instruments sound louder than vocal, I consider it's failure.

Manage to make mine ears orgasm with lovely tune.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #39 of 104
Flu come at the right time :) I think we should have a small contest which will wins.

Turn on newbie mode: I still guess Stax will still lead the best SQ.

As you remember, I suggest we could use this music as a test from fainted and slowly increasing to normal volume.
If the vocal is either recessed or too sharp, either HP or DAC need tuning. (vocal is excel at nuance and high treble)
If cello and piano is do not produce enough low bass I guess it's not excel at playing this song. (cello is excel at low bass and piano is excel at timbre)
If the instruments sound louder than vocal, I consider it's failure.

Manage to make mine ears orgasm with lovely tune.

Working on it. Already selected two albums I know very well.

Feb 10, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #40 of 104
I suppose the nearest historical comparison is the K145, then...

Feb 10, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #44 of 104
jonmbarlow wouldn't be surprised if these beat the B&W. I haven't heard either headphone. B&W isn't known for incredible sounding earphones. They are more life style oriented. I have the C5 IEMs. Well made, but I greatly prefer the Flare Audio R2Pro and Trinity Audio Engineering Atlas for sound quality.

Pledge for the Mitchell & Johnson. You stand to save a lot of money. If you hate them, sell 'em later. Win win.

Feb 11, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #45 of 104
Addendum:

STAX SR-Λ (Lambda) Pro and STAX SR-Σ (Sigma) Pro

STAX SR-Λ Pro (Lambda)          STAX SR-Σ Pro (Sigma)            Mitchell & Johnson GL2 Hybrid

Yesterday the Electrostatz campaign has been successfully funded. Time to do a post Kickstarter comparison with the Japanese STAX Earspeakers from the classic generation and 5 pin PRO biased 580V. Mind you, unlike the Electrostatz these lightweight STAX are completely open headphones for ultimate panoramic sound (‘3-D’) and leak sound like ****. For good performance the STAX need ‘heating up’.

Again the question rises whether or not the Electrostatz deserves this comparison and if so could it be a worthy competitor to headphones that are still considered among the most unforgiving, spacious and detailed EVER.

I’m aware that the Pro Lambda and Sigma are two different earspeakers and they each deserve their own comparison, for the sake of the length of this comparison I decided not to. Also I was planning on using two albums, yet after hearing the first the result was evident For anyone interested, the album that didn’t make it to the comparison is “Romantic Works” by Keaton Henson (highly recommended)

Album: “Fish out of Water” by Chris Squire (R.I.P.) (PCM 16-44, 1411kbps), Foobar2000 EQ flat
Tracks:  All 5 of them, “Lucky Seven” in 7/8 being my personal favorite
Why?: I’ve had this album for ages and had it imported from Japan. It’s an amazing 70’ prog harmonic rock album that sounds brilliant on the 70’s STAX Earspeakers and I expect it to be on 2016 Hybrids as well. Firstly soundstage and imaging, this album requires listening all the tracks in a row to have it be an experience: tight and clear bass response, speed and separation, harmonics/distortion, no coloration. Look at the list of people that worked on this album….

Vocals: for the average listener, needs a little time to get used to that’s all :wink: Never harsh sounding on any of the headphones in this test.

Overall sound and bass response:
Warning: if your current headphones present the bass bloated on any of the tracks, please stop the playback of this album.

If you listen to this album for the first time it seems like you’re gradually sucked into a cacophony of instruments and sounds. After a single session you should have accustomed to the sound. Second time will show you that this album is an adventure. On all three headphones the bass response is excellent: fast, clear and tight as it should be. So is instrument separation and stereo image.

Due to the current tuning the Electrostatz adds a little richness and extra bass impact to the sound compared to the Lambda Pro. Not bad at all - just not my personal preference - it makes the GL2 more dynamic and gives slightly more harmony to the tracks without smearing any of the frequency ranges or decrease the level of detail retrieval and instrument separation. When going back it *feels* to make the Lambda Pro sound more recessed in the mids and thinner in the highs, almost ‘metallic’, which I'm sure it isn't as it's the result of the GL2 tuning.

When it wasn’t for the switching between the Sigma Pro and GL2 I don’t think I could tell a distinct difference between them in a blind test as far as tonality is concerned. Serious? Yes. Now….There must have been a reason for me to invest in the STAX equipment and other devices that are supposed to enhance its sound quality.

Soundstage and imaging:
Now here’s the part where David meets Goliath.

Are you with me? Please follow my instructions (at your own risk) ….
Sit up straight on a chair knees in 90d angle, place your arms horizontally while holding your hands vertically and now do a stretch to your back until you feel your breast expand and strain on your arms - now stop -. See your fingers? Way beyond the 180d mark. That’s about where you’ll find the extremes of perceived soundstage of the your music on the Electrostatz and Lambda Pro. Impressive huh? You *DO* still remember that the GL2 is a closed back pair of headphones…and not of the expensive electrostatic transducer type, right? Ah..okay you do….
Now keep pushing your hands backwards where we left off until you feel resistance coming from your back and shoulders - stop - If you can still see your fingers, tadaaahhh!....that’s where the Sigma Pro magic ends.

Now playback the last track (‘Safe’) on the album. Enjoy the music until you get to 4:58 - press ‘pause’ - . Did I mention this is a 1975 recording? Resume playback and wait until you hear the flutes playing on the right side followed by the horn. Did you hear that? Maybe you didn’t… then start again from 4:58…. now where does your mind tell you the horn is at 5:11?    

After several STAX electet combo’s (30/40/80+all (SB-)energisers) I decided to go the Electrostatic route with the PRO classic Sigma, Lambda and Gamma (sold). They need a STAX dedicated

tube amplifier: big size, expensive tubes and can’t drive any other headphone transducer type. How unfortunate. The form factor of the classic series is highly debatable, they look goofy but who cares when you’re enjoying your music at 11 PM?  

For night-time listening sessions these are my go-to headphones. Just because…. At daytime people around me see the enjoyment of me listening to the earspeakers while they are literally sitting next to two open speakers (agitated). I’m attached to the STAX Classics because of the ‘out-of-head’ presentation
and the imaging. I still regret selling the Gamma Pro’s a joy to listen to with rock albums.

As the term ‘panoramic’ suggests, the STAX have a huge soundstage. They are highly unpractical and rather expensive when you factor in the equipment required to get the most out of these.

The Electrostatz prototype don’t and although they will not surpass the STAX, to me they are the best next thing to enjoy my music, affordable and without the fuzz. Makes me wonder what Mitchell & Johnson could achieve with an open back design.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back