Mitchell & Johnson – Electrostatz Headphones, Kickstarter Edition
Dec 4, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #91 of 104
Personnaly, it's 3 month that I own those headphones and just have used them for less than an hour because the sound was really crapy ... until I put on them angled Brainwavz earpads and change the long cable by the short one : now I never want to trash them again !!!!! The sound is better than describe after 100h of burn. Why those heardphones are sold with those crappy earpads and cable, it ruins totaly the beautifull sound they can give !!!!????

Dec 4, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #93 of 104
@Achel, haven't used the long cable. Never a fan of coiled cables. You are right about the short cable sounding great. These are my favorite headphones. They didn't sound good at first. Break in really improved the one note bass. I have never heard anything improve so much with break in.

MJ2 owners are saying they sound much better right out of the box. Break in isn't as important. Will find out in the next few days. Hurry up UPS.

Do you have a link to the Brainwavz ear pads? To they change out easily and fit well?
Thanks
barondla

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #94 of 104
At first I used the long cable thinking it was better than the short one ... big mistake !!!! for the brainwavz I ordered them from Germany (I'm in Belgium and it's where they are cheaper for me). By now, I use the angled leather pads that I bought for my Hifiman HE-350, it easy to make them fit to the GL2 and it the most confortable pads I have, but have bought another pair of angled Hybrid earpads to lower the bass and wait for them. There is also a better cable on ebay for those headphones, here is the two links for pads and cable :

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/Brainwavz-Angled-Earpads-Pleather-Velour-Geschikt-voor-oa-AKG-HifiMan-ATH-/162299025893?hash=item25c9c699e5:g:6jMAAOSwMVdYHKHV

http://www.ebay.fr/itm/New-Upgrade-Audio-Cable-5N-OCC-For-Mitchell-Johnson-GL2-SE-Headphones-Headsets-/262660800305?var=&hash=item3d27cdbf31:m:mocw0jXwtD0XSvO9DZdsweg

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:27 PM Post #95 of 104
@Achel looked at the higher quality cable. Didn't see any reviews. Have you heard the cable? It looks nice. Price is nice.
The Brainwavz ear pads appear to be comfortable. Do they change the sound in any major way? Thanks for the info.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #96 of 104
NEW MITCHELL & JOHNSON HEADPHONE APPRECIATION AND IMPRESSIONS THREAD:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/828004/mitchell-johnson-electrostatz-2-way-hybrid-headphones-appreciation-and-impressions-thread

The M&J headphone line is growing and this will allow discussion of all them in one place.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #97 of 104
For the cable I would like to buy it, I change the cable of all my headphones with PTFE cable (as this one) except for grado and beyerdynamic (not because they are soldered, just because they are already good ones : the sound is more clear and the sound stage a little bit wider. For the brainwavz earpads ... gosh, before them i want to trash those headphones, they sounds so crapy before to my ears it was insane, now I can listen them hours after hours, the sound is sharper, more define, practically no needs of equelizer (I hate using equalizer, I want that headphones sounds good without it) and the comfort of those pads is totaly insane, the stock one are too thin and my ears scratches on the drivers and as they are too thin, the sound is muddy (those headphones need more space between the drivers and the ears to develop correctly the sounds). 

Dec 26, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #98 of 104
Mitchell & Johnson just launched a new Indiegogo campaign. It features all of their Electrostatz headphone models. The headphones are in stock and ready for shipment. Great prices on some incredible sounding headphones. Love my M&J GL2SE.

Indiegogo campaign did not go well. Hope the product does deliver some of the promises.

Dec 26, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #99 of 104
@Richter DI, the headphones are very nice. Of course everyone has different sound preferences. The GL2 hangs towards a warmer than neutral sound with large soundstage, and floaty highs. Reminds me of tubes. They make things sound so beautiful.

The MJ2 is more neutral balanced with greater focus. My MJ2 sounded better out of the box vs the GL2, which sounded almost broken before break in. The MJ2 were too tight, with little decay and is still breaking in. They have more decay now and sound accurate without being hyper analytical. They seem to be taking longer to break in.

Both headphones are very enjoyable. Glad I have both.

The Indiegogo campaign didn't go well. It started at a bad time - few weeks before Christmas. If it could have run and shipped by Christmas it would have been better. Then people could back them and give as presents.

There was also another company running a similar headphone campaign on Kickstarter and Indiegogo. That caused confusion and siphoned backers away. A shame.

A recent AKG review ($1,500) used the MJ2 as a comparison. The reviewer liked the AKG better, but thought highly of the MJ2 to place it in the comparison. 2017 should be better for M&J. It takes time for a new product to take off.

Dec 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #100 of 104
@Achel I will look into the cables and earpads. Think the cable you linked to is way to large to fit the channel in the GL2. It looks really fat. May have to build something using tiny 3.5mm trs connectors. I see a bunch offered at Parts Express.

The MJ2 have no problem with size of the 3.5mm connector. It plugs into bottom of each earcup. There is no channel to fit in. But I need a Y cable (like Grado) with a 3.5mm trs on every end. May have to build that as well. Hope not.

It is all fun!

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #101 of 104
I just order the first I mentioned specially made for the GL2 SE It arrives for the 6th of january. I just changed the usb cable of the Fiio by a Qed one and the sound is slicely different (bought it in second hand to test if it's right or not that cables change smthg).

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #102 of 104
I just order the first I mentioned specially made for the GL2 SE It arrives for the 6th of january. I just changed the usb cable of the Fiio by a Qed one and the sound is slicely different (bought it in second hand to test if it's right or not that cables change smthg).

Dec 27, 2016 at 5:39 AM Post #103 of 104

Users who are viewing this thread

Back