Mistakes you made with your β22 or σ22
Jan 31, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by kklee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Don't mount the power supply transformer in the β22 chassis, you'll end wasting weeks (and $$$) trying to resolve transformer hum and then end up moving it to an external chassis (and end up with lots of extra perforations in the bottom of the amp chassis).

b22s22.jpg

wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #36 of 71
I can hear hum if I turn up the volume all the way with my HD650, but at around normal listening volumes the hum in completely inaudible.

Feb 1, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #38 of 71
One or two σ22’s to power a balanced rig for headphones only? I’ve heard a lot of ramblings and differing opinions, but nothing of real substance. Any benefits? Or is this purely an exercise in overkill and spectualation.

Feb 1, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #39 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnwmclean /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One or two σ22’s to power a balanced rig for headphones only? I’ve heard a lot of ramblings and differing opinions, but nothing of real substance. Any benefits? Or is this purely an exercise in overkill and spectualation.

amb says 1 PSU with a 100VA trafo is sufficient for headphones. He's the designer, so I'd probably take his advice. People use 2 so they can drive speakers, or so they have a true monoblock system. Really, though, don't worry about it.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #41 of 71
One thing I have found is that TRS jacks cause a momentary short when pluging/unplugging them. I highly suggest having the amp powered off or outputs disconnected when plugging/unplugging the jacks.

Feb 2, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #42 of 71
Quote:

Originally Posted by naamanf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I have found is that TRS jacks cause a momentary short when pluging/unplugging them. I highly suggest having the amp powered off or outputs disconnected when plugging/unplugging the jacks.

I seem to remember reading about one catching on fire at a meet when a hard to drive ortho was unplugged at a high setting on the pot.

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #43 of 71
Yes, at the very least, the volume should be turned to minimum before inserting/removing the unbalanced TRS headphone plug. If the volume is not turned down, the momentary short on the plug can cause a very large current to flow from the L and R channels' output to each other or to ground, enough to cause damage to the amp (and the β22 could certainly deliver a huge amount of current).

Feb 2, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #44 of 71
^ Is there another (safer or more practical) solution? I'm sure at some point either I or someone else who doesn't understand the relevance is going to unplug a pair of headphones...

Feb 2, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #45 of 71
Just try to develop the habit of turning the volume down before you plug or unplug the headphones. It becomes second nature after a while. This is not just for the β22, but is a good thing to do in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back