Mission MS-50s - why do I love them so?
Jan 7, 2021 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

JohnnyOps

100+ Head-Fier
So, I’ve had a set-up in my office that I really like for a while:

Headphones: Roon -> Pi2AES (running RopieeeXL) -> Gungnir MB -> Mjolnir2 -> HD-6XX
Speakers: —“”— (Up to Gungnir MB) -> Emotiva A-100 -> KEF Q150’s

So I’ve enjoyed that set-up, but the speakers have always felt too big for my space, and I‘ve never loved just how analytical they are. I’ve thought that they are dry, and while I can get them to sing, they never have felt “warm“ to me - as many reviewers describe them.

On a whim and a recommendation, I purchased a pair of Mission MS-50’s (made in Malaysia, not the UK version) for $75 shipped on eBay. Swapping them in for my KEFs (which were $300, on sale from a list of $600) got me to start listening to speakers again vs. headphones. Fun, lively, less bass bloom (space means I need them near the wall, maybe KEFs even with port plugs just were too close). Sweet mid-range. Turn ’em up and they distort a bit, but in a way that I kind of like for working and listening to music- this isn’t analytical listening, and this isn’t my main rig.
Mission MS-50 Bookshelf Speakers

Does anyone else know these speakers / love them as much as I do?

There are a few threads out there, but not a lot that I can find about them. But they have made me just dig listening to speakers again in a way I had not been with the mid-FI speakers I’ve been listening to for a while.

Anyone else found love with older speakers?

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #2 of 4

I still have my Mission 753 speakers in my hi-fi set up :-

mission-753_550.jpg

My whole set up is old:-

Sony TCK611S X2 Tape Decks
Arcam Alpha 7 CD Player
DPA Little Bit 3 DAC
Monarchy Audio DIP
Arcam Delta 290 Pre Amp
Arcam Delta 290P Power Amp (Bi-Amped)

All bought from new many years ago, all still working apart from one of the amps that I blew a few months back (Never let a grown man handle a Vacuum cleaner without thorough training :upside_down: ) The 753's look like Bass monsters but they're far from it. Played direct they're soundstage monsters if you have a big enough room for them. Playing Metal through them just makes me giggle like I was 5 years old. I've packed it all away for now until I get the Amp fixed, sadly I never used it much anyway. I just can't seem to find the time.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 4
Actually, you inspired me, and I did something a bit random.

I pulled my Infinity Primus 360’s from my post-college days out of the attic, and hooked them up next to my desk. So my chain is Roon->Pi2AES->Schiit Gungnir MB->Emotive A-100->Infinity Primus 360’s. So I’m listening in nearly nearfield (ok, they’re 3 feet in front of me, and maybe 4 feet on either side) to these fairly large floorstanders. So let’s just say they’re not set up for great imaging. But the extension and the sweetness of the treble is kind of awesome. And even though for some music I’m swimming in bass bloom, it’s kind of hilarious for a while. Haven’t listened to these speakers in a LONG time, and they’re still pretty good given they cost $600 a pair way back when I wanted my first system.

Not that I love stereophile, but this is the review I read way back then:
https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/605infinity/index.html

Giggling is good.

Mar 12, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 4

I couldn't agree more! Now that music stores are pretty much a thing of the past, finding new audio equipment is the only thing that gives me that old "music discovery" thrill. I've been strictly into head-fi for the last few years, and recently built a pair of Overnight Sensations speakers for my son, which I picked up on a whim at Microcenter (he enjoys soldering projects). Of course that got me into 2-channel, so now I'm working on a pair of C-Notes for my desk.

In the meantime, I came across a practically mint pair of MS-5's that someone was throwing out, so now they replaced my trusty (but meager) Audioengine A2+'s. Much better clarify, and with a little bass EQ from the TB10D, they really hit hard for near-field listening. Can't beat them for the price ($0)! :smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back