Mismatched drivers in HD-600?
Jul 14, 2016 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kuhchuk

100+ Head-Fier
Wasn't sure which subforum this belonged in; Sound Science seemed most appropriate, though.  That aside, I have a strange predicament, and I'd appreciate any help I can get in answering it.  

I just bought a used pair of HD 600's on ebay.  They seem to be in great condition, and I'm quite happy with them, but one thing is bugging me to high hell.  It sounds like the bass response in the left ear is a few db higher than in the right.  Since I know that the drivers of the 600/650 can be swapped between enclosures, I'm wondering if the previous owner might have killed a driver and gotten the wrong one as a replacement.   I just wanted to know before I go taking apart some relatively expensive cans if there is any way to visually differentiate the two drivers.  Any pictures or descriptions would be most appreciated.

On an unrelated note, one of the clips in the headband that keep the padding in place is missing.  Any information on where I could source an extra one of those suckers would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Jul 14, 2016 at 6:38 AM Post #4 of 10
imbalance between drivers will exist. all the manufacturer can do is try to minimize this(usually Senn does a great job at this). now if it's mostly in the low end of the signature, I would think that maybe it's a seal issue? often depending on how you set the head band, you can end up with a little opening below the ear and that really rolls off the subs.

maybe the guy before modded his headphone? I'm guessing NA Blur's question might have to do with this.  those headphones are very easy to open up so do it and check for possible physical differences or damage.

and here you see the foam in question for the "mod"

Jul 14, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 10
Just did a quick disassembly.  Everything appears to be undamaged, and there's nothing obviously different about either unit.  I know that sometimes the drivers are just a tad different, but should it be this glaringly obvious?  I know Sennheiser takes pride in matching the driver units, so this just seems strange to me.  

Jul 14, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #7 of 10
Have you tried swapping the channels?
Just to rule out something outside the phone is making the trouble

Haven't tried yet. I'll give that a shot when I get home from work. It would actually be really nice if it's just a simple cable issue since I already have a new one coming in the mail.

Jul 17, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 10
When I went to swap the channels, it took significantly more force to remove the cable from one cup than the other.  It looks like the previous owner forced the connector in backwards somehow.  Seems to have resolved all the problems.  

Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back