Misleading recommendations on HE-400?
Apr 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM Post #31 of 36
Thanks, I knew they sold them, but then it struck me that they might be primarily as replacements. Given the stack's low price, I guess I can't complain

Apr 22, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #32 of 36
Just got the HE-400, and WOW! EVEN UNAMPED! Now, they might benefit from a grill mod, or maybe even just removing the foam insert (they sound kinda closed, and certain frequencies sound a little like its in a tunnel), but I'm super impressed, and the vocal reproduction is so smooth. I don't need any EQ (but I've always been something of a treblehead, and I don't listen too loudly). This thread's title is finally answered. The recommendation is good :D

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #33 of 36
Wait till you get that Magni and Modi. 
atsmile.gif

Apr 22, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #35 of 36
Also, I have to say, the song "today" by Halou is currently sounding incredible. I honestly can say after trying both these and the Mad Dogs, as well as plenty of dynamic drivers, that I really enjoy the sound of the orthos. I even prefer this sound to the HD700 with an amp, which I thought were really impressive.

Apr 23, 2014 at 2:30 AM Post #36 of 36
I just put a new, more open grill on mine, the soundstage depth is nuts now. The highs also seem slightly more detailed. It's definitely worth it. I'm glad you're enjoying them, once you get the Schiit stack it'll sound amazing. Amping helps more than you would think with these, it's not night and day but it improves the dynamics for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back