Misconceptions of Piracy. your thoughts?
Aug 11, 2011 at 2:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

RexAeterna

Headphoneus Supremus
i wonder if this has been talked about(or even allowed here)? there has been lots of unorganized assumptions through-out the years about so called ''piracy'' and it's negative impact on the industry. i have a couple vids here to share and will share my thoughts.

Gaiman on Copyright Piracy and the Web

Joss Stone "piracy is great"

these are just couple examples of what people that depend on their sells think. they actually find it beneficial for people to ''file-share'' and i agree. Most of the shows you see on tv or movies or artists you know of wouldn't be famous if it wasn't for file-sharing. lot of independent artist greatly depends on ''word of mouth'' that file-sharing endorses. it acts like ''free'' advertisement and more people get ''wind'' of that person and becomes another ''fan'' that tells his/her friends about it so forth and so forth.

i see lot of big time companies complain about piracy as an issue is cause they can't accept the fact they made a crappy ''product'' or it's something that's done before and they are asking a price that is not worth it to most of your average consumer. it's also become a misconception to assume that ''file-sharing'' is pirating which is not true. in order to pirate a product you'll have to rip the orignal copyrighted material and sell it for ''personal'' profit/gain without permission.

simply sharing a product is not pirating in anyway i feel. Before anyone goes ''OMG OP is a lame poor person trying to make himself feel better and trying to find an excuse that pirating is cool!'', cause i ain't and i clearly do not approve or edge it on. there is tho a need to have a level ground and common sense to come to why ''file-sharing'' is actually good and what the greater positive impacts it has rather then simply be closed minded and just accept all the negatives about ''file-sharing''.

i always also tend to see that ''bad'' publicity gets far more attention than compared to ''good'' publicity when it comes to most things in the world nowadays. what are your thoughts on the whole matter? and please try to be civilized about the current situations and try to keep ''opinions''....well just opinions and try to have respect for others on what they think without attacking or making vulgar remarks. everyone will not agree on everything.

Aug 11, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 2
We do not discuss piracy here. Head-Fi does not want to attract the attention of various entities or appear to support piracy.

It does not matter if popular individuals support piracy. This is about staying on the right side of the law. I take a dim view of people making excuses for engaging in illegal behavior.

I agree that a lot of content is overpriced and/or difficult to access. If I can't get it cheap, oh well. I'll find something else. I buy used CDs and SACDs, the primary reason I own a turntable is for cheap used vinyl, I haunt thrift stores for used stuff, I use an antenna on my HDTV, archive.org has legal downloads, and I love RedBox. I can always find cheap/free content - legally. Maybe not today's trends, but I am easily amused. :D

If you want free/cheap content, there are plenty of options. Open your mind and seek those options. The original "Nosferatu" is one of my favorite movies, and it was free at archive.org.

All of my media is legal. I don't worry a bit about being sued. I will NOT download a currently popular movie or album. I either get a cheap secondhand version or go to a free, legal download.

That said, I'm closing this thread. There's no good reason for piracy. Go find something old that's free or cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back