Misconception of "neutral / accurate"
Apr 27, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #226 of 292
Well that is interesting to know that neutral sounds tops out at pretty much the LCD-2, which is affordable. 

Now I just need to enjoy the Neutral signature. If the HD650 is a neutral headphone compared to the Grado's then I know I am gonna need to dramatically tweak it. The only thing I liked about the HD650 was a bigger bass and the much better headstage and imaging. In fact, it was my same complaint with the HD800 albeit with only a portable amp to power them. But what if I prefer the Pro 900 for my dance music and what if I like Grado's for just about everything else (especially classical, rock and korean vocals)? Can I truly use EQ to obtain those signatures? Or are we just declaring neutral as inherently superior to all other signatures hence you will rarely ever need to EQ them after obtaining neutrality?

Apr 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #227 of 292

Quote:
Well that is interesting to know that neutral sounds tops out at pretty much the LCD-2, which is affordable. 

Now I just need to enjoy the Neutral signature. If the HD650 is a neutral headphone compared to the Grado's then I know I am gonna need to dramatically tweak it. The only thing I liked about the HD650 was a bigger bass and the much better headstage and imaging. In fact, it was my same complaint with the HD800 albeit with only a portable amp to power them. But what if I prefer the Pro 900 for my dance music and what if I like Grado's for just about everything else (especially classical, rock and korean vocals)? Can I truly use EQ to obtain those signatures? Or are we just declaring neutral as inherently superior to all other signatures hence you will rarely ever need to EQ them after obtaining neutrality?

Well, my experience with the LCD-2 was that it was kinda dark sounding in stock form. The way I read Lunatique's words is that it gives him the sub-bass extension/quality he wants in a headphone, and then he raises the upper-mid/treble quantity to be neutral, as you can see on his graphs. Frankly, the HD600/650 are more neutral, provided that you are willing to give up some extension.

Quote:
Well written but I have to disagree completely here... mostly because you've inaccurately used the screen analogy.

TVs are not always better with upgrades:

-Everyone I know usually turns 120hz TVs to 60hz because 120hz is too smooth and unnatural.
-Pre HD-console consoles look better on EDTVs because the bleeding effect is a natural aliasing effect better than HDTV upscales.
-Too much aliasing can look bad. 
-People still use effects like grain filters and black and white so even though it is not inherent in the TV, visual fidelity does not always correspond to what you are discussing
-3D is not enjoyable for all

There is less room in TVs for interpretation but it is still certainly there.

Relating to music, I have been in your "typical consumer" to "low end audiophile range" for years now (bought stuff like Skull Candy headphones, bose headphones, moved onto klipsch and entry level Beyers). I joined Head-fi awhile after buying the v-moda m-80 and began to pick up steam in terms of audio gear.

While it is probably true that you are closer to the true production by getting neutral/accurate phones, I do not believe in any way that this makes music better. Colored sound seems perfectly legitimate in terms of producing enjoyment and I often don't even like the headphones that are considered more neutral. Music is far too subjective to make accurate comparison with visual fidelity, which is much more straight forward. My example for this would be the fact that I personally, have enjoyed new genres of music or music I did not enjoy previously due to certain headphones that are supposedly "colored". I frequently enjoy and use both my bass and treble boost to give an abnormal about of focus towards certain parts of a production.

That I enjoy these "colorations" is a fact and is a reality for many people. I do not understand choosing neutrality over enjoyment as a more educated way to make purchases. I am a fairly new member which is probably why I am going against the grain here. Maybe I will conform to this topic when I move up on your scale ^^'

A good number of those problems you talk about with TVs are just an issue with LCDs. CRTs just did all that better, minus the terribad ergonomics and power draw. AFAIK, most "120hz" TVs don't actually display 120hz properly, and will not render any input frame inbetween. 

Again, neutrality may not be in your interest. Neutrality is honesty in music, without any particular over-emphasis or underemphasis of the spectrum. Personally, I see neutrality as a way to hear your music unimpeded. Colorations and effects are used to set the scene and tone i.e. old crime drama, grim and bleak, et cetera. I find I pick up on this better with neutral gear, and that gives me pleasure. The way you talk you make it sound like that music doesn't have a character and that the advocated neutrality is not just reproducing a linear sound, but that all music must conform to a specific sound. 

Quote:
Tweaking each songs EQ settings is completely impractical and requires a certain amount of motivation to discover to begin with. Enjoying music shouldn't really be a chore... Also, how am I suppose to tweak the EQ settings to make my v-moda sound like UM3x or Grado's? The EQ settings on my iPod are pretty terrible if that was what I was suppose to do. 

Also, if every range of headphones could be easily replicated with an EQ setting on my ipod than what would be the point of all these different headphones? Everyone should just focus on things like improving the soundstage, imaging and precise details? Obviously there are a lot of things that come into play when choosing a headphone and I think "sounding neutral" places absolutely nowhere on the list unless you LIKE neutral or are an audio engineer. Some people just love lots of bass. Some people just like lots of treble. Some people hate harsh highs and get fatigued easily. Arbitrarily saying that people who like bright/dark headphones will suffer when they listen to treble heavy/light music is an extremely black and white view of the issue that has almost no practical value.

I know the logic behind this idea but I really don't see this as practical at all considering the nature of headphones and sound. Can you turn a K701 into a Grado SR325i sound or an HD650 sound except with a huge headstage just from EQ settings? I feel like this is what newbies would take away from the people posting in this topic more than anything else in which case, I find this topic is promoting gross misinformation in the guise of enlightenment.

As mentioned before, certain traits cannot be mimicked. Distortion and stored energy are an issue of the driver and housing. Some drivers are just built differently, and you aren't going to fix that by tweaking the signal. But the most noticeable trait of a headphone is its frequency response which simple work with a surgical, parametric EQ will fix. Headstage I find correlates with FR, though I wouldn't say its entirely dependent on it. HRTF processors and extensive crossfeed controls (a la the topic starter) will also tweak this, not that I have used any.

Most headphone companies try to approximate neutral as best as they can. Most. They all fall short in different ways. Even if neutrality is your goal, there are certain things that some cans do better than others, and certain aspects that you will compromise to do something else better, as consistent with your priorities. You can see this even with Lunatique's can selections.

No one is going to shoot you in the back of the head or threaten your family and friends if you don't like neutrality. That is fine, and is your own personal taste. But rather than liking neutrality, I feel it is more important that people are on the same page and understand what neutrality is, especially on a website ostensibly dedicated to achieving the greatest fidelity possible within your means via headphones. Piercing, brutal treble is not neutral (HD800, DT880), nor is it anemic, thin bass (K701, ER4S), nor dampened treble (LCD-2, and apparently the SR-007) nor warm and thick (W4, UM3x). It should not necessarily sound live, nor necessarily like your favorite headphone.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:18 PM Post #228 of 292

You highlight some of my issues though with this topic. I came in here to learn about neutrality and what I found instead was someone telling that everyone who doesn't strive for it is as inferior. This was never about what is being forced upon people (so people can stop attaching this fallacious accusation onto my posts), it is how often people like to believe they have figured out everyones listening taste out (which is basically just their listening taste), using extremely inaccurate (but fanciful) generalizations.

This isn't exclusive to the TC of course. Even just now, Purrin, whether directly or indirectly, insults my taste in headphones by saying that he laughs at the time when he thought the RS1 was good. I don't mind because I am still fairly new. But when I had to make the decision between the HD650 and the RS1, my decision was extremely clear. I would just take it that Purrin has a different taste in music and probably picks up different things in music than I do. Right now, I still get pumped by lots of bass or get high off energetically bright vocals, however "crass" such preferences might be. I don't like the dark sound of Sennheisers (my HD598 is at the bottom of the list of headphones I listen to, can't even remember the last time I picked them up). Telling me that you scoff at my musical preferences isn't gonna change them (well it might mentally some day).

Quote:

Again, neutrality may not be in your interest. Neutrality is honesty in music, without any particular over-emphasis or underemphasis of the spectrum. Personally, I see neutrality as a way to hear your music unimpeded. Colorations and effects are used to set the scene and tone i.e. old crime drama, grim and bleak, et cetera. I find I pick up on this better with neutral gear, and that gives me pleasure. The way you talk you make it sound like that music doesn't have a character and that the advocated neutrality is not just reproducing a linear sound, but that all music must conform to a specific sound. 

I never remotely said anything like this. What I have been saying is that the original character of the production may not be what people want and it seems that people are having an issue dealing with this FACT. This is why I find some of these generalizations non-sensical.

Did someone go out and do a study that says people who like bass heavy headphones hate to listen to bass heavy music because of the compounding effects? No and in fact, it is the opposite of what is observed on these boards... what do people recommend for bass heavy music/electronica, dubsteb, etc? Ultrasone Pro 900. I have an album by BoA in which she has quite a few good dance tracks with a great bass emphasis. After I got my amp with Bass Boost, I turned it up all the way and I enjoyed those songs much more with my m-80 compared to my Grado RS1 even though Grado is much more bass light and the song is bass heavy. The TC should not accuse people of being ignorant while not being free of ignorance himself. 

If I seem like I am drilling Lunatique, it is mostly because of these generalizations and the fact that he is basically setting himself up as some kind of audio Moses that will lead the uninformed and ignorant from the other audiophiles on this board who disagree with him. Would have preferred to see much more discussion about neutrality rather than an attempt to discuss why someones doctrine is superior to everyone else's. I can understand calling people out on things like buying $10,000 cables but this "neutrality is for real audiophiles" just makes it look like a superficial attention grab. Can people recommend things and educate members minus the pretentiousness that is so rampant in this hobby? 

Quotes like

"Let the music itself be the bias, not your sound reproduction system. "

are really just empty rhetorics with little value. What does this even mean? That I should ask for a production to be re-recorded to my EQ specifications when I want a different sound? Or should I just skip the music entirely because I don't like it as is? Does this mean that I should never EQ at all once I've reached neutrality just so I hear something that is closest to the original production regardless of my personal preferences? I certainly don't think that this is the message we should be sending to all audiophile entrants.

Again, I know no one is forcing anything on anyone else. I just always feel disappointed when people are fighting over who is right rather than just giving us a more "unbiased" and easily digestible version of all their knowledge.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #229 of 292
Dude, you really need to chill.

I had RS-1s and still own HF-2s (not too much different) which I still listen to and enjoy on occasion. Just saying you should pick out the good aspects of what's been said here and learn from that (you seem very defensive and sensitive to everything - no one is telling you to do anything.) Never once did I ever say you have sh177y or crass taste; and quite honestly I don't blame you for choosing the RS1 over the HD650s. I simply implied that your tastes will likely evolve over time as many people started off in this hobby with Grados - that in time you will come to appreciate and wish for more neutral sounding headphones, which BTW there are very few.

Apr 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #230 of 292
Like I said, I am not offended but the connotation is there and not very many ways to be interpreted. I probably do need to chill but that is pretty much what could be said of this entire topic and is what I have been trying to say from the very first post. This topic is about how low end audiophiles are being led to hell on a conveyor belt of incorrect opinions on what sounds good.

Quote:
@DNZ:
I don't know how long you've been in this hobby, but many of my friends and I started out with RS-1s over ten years ago and absolutely loved them back in the time. Today, these RS-1s have either been sold off or are stored in a nice box as a nostalgic reminder of our younger days. As we've gotten older and more educated about audio reproduction, we've since moved on to more neutral gear. We look back and laugh - and ask ourselves how we ever liked them. Maybe on occasion we'll pull out the RS-1 out and give it a spin, but we fully understand where the RS-1 stands.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #231 of 292
You seem to have forgotten the three sentences before it which puts that statement into context.

I'll tell you one thing to do since you supposedly claim you are here to "learn": Stop arguing semantics, being hyper-sensitive, and defending your position (because you don't need to) and instead ask good questions such as "Why do I prefer RS1s to HD650s when the HD650s are supposedly more neutral" or "What are some more neutral sounding cans that capture some of the essence of what I like so much about the RS1s."  

Quote honestly, I think you are more here to bitch at why "advanced audiophiles" look down at you (they could really care less) than to learn.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #232 of 292
Not why I was here at all. I was here to educate myself on neutrality and how to recognize it but now you need to chill. 

Also, I already asked those questions. Like I said, I was answered with generalizations telling me that "bass heavy songs will suck with bass heavy headphones" as if it was some kind of fact or even a popular opinion and comment about how music should be enjoyed in their original intention and be unaltered by the equipment. In fact, I've asked these questions over and over with no response except that it is right because audio engineers/musicians believe this (which is probably another generalization since my god father is a Celloist and knows/cares little about understanding audio equipment).

No one bothers to answer these questions and just assume newer audiophiles should take their word for it. Would be easy if there was any kind of consensus on this forum. It isn't so much about me being afraid of being looked down on (no one here has made me feel that way so far anyways) but more about it being blasphemy for me to question someone who is trying to tell me what my level of users need to do. How can this topic be promoting education of audio enthusiasts if it buckles at the first sign of criticism from the demographic it is attempting to speak to? How are we suppose to understand anything if the answer is simply that we are wrong because we haven't listened/studied music long enough?

Maybe I am just a rebellious young guy who never likes to just take what people say and nod and rather, have plenty of questions and will bluntly point out what I believe is wrong. 

Also, your previous 3 sentences did not change the context. You were discussing how you loved RS1s a long time ago leading up to how you no longer like them and now think it was ridiculous that you liked them to begin with. If you think this wouldn't offend anyone who owns RS1s then fair enough. I am pretty new to them anyways and I could imagine a time when I would have hated these headphone myself. But there are also people who have loved Grados for a long time and never grew out of them or grew into them much later. It possesses a sense of absoluteness in judging an audio choice which I think is a mistake without proper context (such as Grado's suck for music producers).

Edit: I've appended the quote to include the entire paragraph.

Apr 27, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #233 of 292
Sooooo much drama!

You want neutral....listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged. It's one of the most neutral and best mastered albums out there and it's affordable!!!!! If it doesn't sound amazing to you, at least you know it's not your source.
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #234 of 292
Quote:
Sooooo much drama!

You want neutral....listen to Eric Clapton's Unplugged. It's one of the most neutral and best mastered albums out there and it's affordable!!!!! If it doesn't sound amazing to you, at least you know it's not your source.
wink_face.gif

Well, Clapton's Unplugged is one of those albums that sounds darn good on pretty much everything
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:57 AM Post #235 of 292
I would have to agree with Clapton's Unplugged album sounding great. I also have the cassette tape of it, and it sounds great as well. I remember the first time I heard it, I was pretty shocked at the sound of this album.

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #236 of 292

Quote:
Sooooo much drama!

wink_face.gif

This album sounds like crap on the (John) Grados though. @LFF: do you recommend bass boost and +6 db on the treble. Or do you think I should chuck my Grados and get Ultrasone ED8?

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #237 of 292
So if I had to listen to these, would HD598 or UM3x give me the most neutral sound? I hear the UM3x is very analytical and has a balanced response but not sure about whether it is considered neutral. 
Quote:
Sooooo much drama!

wink_face.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #238 of 292
I have not heard the HD598, but the HD558 modified (supposedly makes it sound very similar to the HD598 - the drivers are the same.) The modified HD558 are quite neutral with a little bit of forwardness. This more forward sound is quite a departure for Sennheiser and say the HD650 which can sound syrupy, slow, and boring from more modest upstream gear. The HD558/598 driver does lack the resolution, clean articulation, and in some ways the refinement of the RS-1. But that should probably be expected given its price.

I have not heard UM3x.

Apr 28, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #239 of 292
So what are all the elements involved in a neutral sound/achieving a neutral sound? Before this I only knew it to be a flat frequency response and proper response times. I also thought analytical would have meant neutral but apparently not. If forwardness comes into play with neutrality than does that also mean headstage comes into it? Headstage sounds like something that would be difficult to measure as neutral.

Also, I have been getting my "neutral" standard wrong as I heard that the K701 was neutral but according to this topic, it isn't neutral at all while the HD650s and HD598s are considered neutral when I usually here them called "dark" or overly warm in a lot of the other topics I go to. 

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #240 of 292
response wise I think the HD600 is more neutral after all Sennheiser was the one who said it. But the HD650 has better mids and treble extension if I read correctly. If you would like something that is fairly affordable and neutral for sure, the Ety's ER-4S is the most neutral phone in that category(save for its lack of bass for impact). I don't think headstage comes into play but in that regard, neutral headstage should IMO completely resemble speakers which is um, impossible(at least till you go all the way top + altering the time domain with accoustic simulation/filters). 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back