Misaligned fibular fusion
May 19, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #31 of 34
How do I minimize the potential for such a complication?

May 28, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #32 of 34
Here are the radiologist reports, which may clarify things. The first one is the initial X-ray on the day of the injury:
Quote:

An oblique fracture is present through the distal fibula. This extends from just below the level of the ankle joint a short distance up the distal fibular metaphysis. Impression: Nondisplaced spiral fracture of the distal fibula and lateral malleolus.

And then on May 15:
Quote:

Alignment is within near anatomic. If there is any clinical concern for a talar dome fracture, CT scan would be recommended.

Huh? Define "clinical concern". Wouldn't the fact that I still cannot angle the foot forward after three weeks without the cast be some kind of concern? The range of motion has not improved, and the ankle is just as swollen, over the past three weeks.

May 29, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #33 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowbar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An oblique fracture is present through the distal fibula. This extends from just below the level of the ankle joint a short distance up the distal fibular metaphysis. Impression: Nondisplaced spiral fracture of the distal fibula and lateral malleolus.

And then on May 15:

Alignment is within near anatomic. If there is any clinical concern for a talar dome fracture, CT scan would be recommended.

That's just the radiologist saying that if you are symptomatic for a talar dome fracture, a CT would be the best investigation to rule this out. I have no experience with talar dome fractures; I assume they are relatively uncommon.

Those reports read like things are going fine in terms of fracture healing. If there was any problem with union of the fracture or misalignment the radiologist would have reported it. I hope your symptoms resolve soon.

Sep 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #34 of 34
Thanks for that info. I fractured my left fibula on 7/7/10 and the last x-ray look very similar to yours. Been concerned about misalignment and effect it may have on ankle joint. Still having alot of swelling and very little mobility in joint and lots of tenderness and swelling in leg all the way up to knee. Had non-weightbearing cast for 8 weeks and now have airwalker boot but still using crutches because of very little flexibility and pain. Doc told me to work on range of motion only until I come back on 9/17. Think I might get 2nd opinion also with all the joint swelling and pain. I've had broken bones before and even ortho surgery but this is much more lengthly than I expected and I want to make sure the bone mis-alignment doesn't create more problems. Hope you also can get a second opinion and some good results from a different doctor. I know you are frustrated but hang in there. Be persistent. Your leg is more important to you than anyone else so do what you need to to get it cared for properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back