"Minutes to Midnight" most disappointing album release in years?
Apr 11, 2007 at 5:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 37

RedLeader

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone else heard this album yet? This... makes me sad. LP has officially sold out friends. Shinoda is nowhere to be heard in any real vocal capacity, Chester is trying to sing a style he can't do, Hahn has almost no part in it, Delson is using airy sounds without any urgency or drive and they're trying to be political.

It's generic "indie" rock that pushes no envelopes. The lyrics are terrible, the songs are boring. I got bored halfway through the tracks. I got worried when they did a Jay-Z mashup. I got more worried when bennington went off to record a solo project with 2 guys from orgy. Then I got more worried when I heard what kind of sound that project is going to have. Then I saw the music video where chester is wearing a leather jacket, aviators and has a faux hawk.

Waste of time guys, waste of time...

Apr 11, 2007 at 6:58 AM Post #3 of 37
I heard the first single and was extremely dissapointed for two reasons. Firstly the said it would be progressive like king crimson. Secondly it wasn't even catchy metal! Like somewhere I belong was a guilty pleasure, but the song I heard was just boring.

Apr 11, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #4 of 37
They had cred to lose?
blink.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 37
Not to continue MarkL's thread crap, but anyone who is disappointed in the new one should go back and listen to their earlier efforts. RedLeader was completely accurate on all accounts, for everything they have ever released.

To say Linkin Park sold out is ridiculous. You can sell what you don't have. What I suggest is that they haven;t changed, but you have. Over the years you have grown up and your music listening skills and tastes have evolved and matured. I remember when I thought a new Limp Bizkit album was disappointing, then I realized ALL of their albums were disappointing. Go put Hybrid Theory on and pay close attention, you just might be surprised by what you (dont) hear.

Apr 11, 2007 at 1:34 PM Post #6 of 37
It can't be more disappointing than Bloc Partys latest effort can it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It can't be more disappointing than Bloc Partys latest effort can it?
smily_headphones1.gif

Not to derail this thread, but I think Bloc Party's last album is fantastic and plenty of critics agree with me. Sure, Kele overstretches on quite a few lyrics (If I could do it again I would pick and eat more wild blackberries! What?) but the music is absolutely solid. Even people who only listened to "Helicopters" or "Banquet" should have plenty to like.

I just don't get where this hate is coming from for what was a very good sophomore effort. Could be just me.

Apr 11, 2007 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sure, Kele overstretches on quite a few lyrics (If I could do it again I would pick and eat more wild blackberries! What?) but the music is absolutely solid.

I didn't even find that line that bad, however "Spend all your spare time trying to escape with crosswords and sudoku" made me cringe really bad.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They had cred to lose?
blink.gif

Well if nothing else, they did kick-start the nu-metal genre. I realize they weren't the first at all, but it's tough to disagree with the popularity they gave it. Yes, my musical tastes have matured, I was 15 when Hybrid Theory came out and I swallowed up whatever was fed me for the most part.

Yes, I admit they sold out long ago. As soon as you release an album thats a mash-up with Jay-Z, what's the point of existing anymore? I also don't mind bands trying out different sounds. Love them or hate them, U2 has had a very interesting musical progression in their sound. So has a band like the Newsboys. I love it when a band breaks new ground and introduces new sounds, or tries out something new for themselves.

That being said, what I don't like is when a band changes their sound to a popular trend that sucks. I hate the fake post-indie bands coming out these days. Indie bands are "cool" now, so it seems every band is trying to cash in on that, including now, Linkin Park. Their sound was their own, they did some new stuff, albeit not alot.

I heard they were changing their sound, and I got excited. I thought that perhaps they were themselves maturing and their sound would mature along with that into something numetal, but something above that. I wanted them to break new ground, use their talents/abilities/money/time or whatever to do something that hadn't been done, or at least improve upon a stagnant genre. Instead, we got a generic fake indie band with no drive and several crappy ballads.

Almost as disappointing as the last DJ Shadow disc...

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #12 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foshizzle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I didn't even find that line that bad, however "Spend all your spare time trying to escape with crosswords and sudoku" made me cringe really bad.
biggrin.gif

Oh, absolutely. Especially how he stretches "crosswords" into five syllables. C'mon, Kele, you're supposed to be the voice of a generation.

On second thought, riding around on the tube could convince one that he might just be the voice of a generation, after all.

Apr 11, 2007 at 9:27 PM Post #13 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedLeader /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, I admit they sold out long ago.

They sold out the minute they formed the band.
Like I said earlier, they are the devil's work.

May 6, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #15 of 37
1 min of Given Up made me want to throw up.
Ahh but the lyrics to Valentine's Day crack me up:

I never knew what it was like
To be alone
On a valentines day (x4)

I never really liked any of their previous albums to begin with, but this is pretty ******.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back