mint r11 buffer bandwidth question
Apr 4, 2004 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

PYROTAK

100+ Head-Fier
since i have my mint on a DC walwart power supply, should i just jumper R11 for best possible performance?

will there be a decernable difference?

oh an i got another question,
is it bad if my headphone output buzzes when i touch my hammond case which my MINT is enclosed in?

i already have a layer of teflon on the bottom to prevent shorting, i guess its the ground loop thats making the buzzzing sound.

Apr 4, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 3
Tangent will probably reply, but I believe that after someone (can't remember who) did some testing, it was found that an R11 of about 200 ohms was optimal for single (non-stacked) buffers, which is what you have in your MINT.

As far as the buzz goes, with the rail splitter in there providing a virtual ground, you will need to make sure that ground or body of your power jack is insulated from the Hammond case, as the ground provided by the wallwart and your MINT's virtual ground are not at the same potential. If the jack is already insulated, then I would guess the buzz you are hearing is some sort of ground problem in your MINT or the wiring to the jacks.

Chris

Apr 5, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

should i just jumper R11 for best possible performance?

Some people say the buffer sounds better with a couple hundred ohms here rather than 0.

Quote:

will there be a decernable difference?

Depends on how good your ears are.

Quote:

is it bad if my headphone output buzzes

Pars is right, you have a grounding problem. The case should be virtual ground, not V-. Then the pot's chassis will be at virtual ground, which is the probable entry point for the buzz in your current setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back