Mint LDII+ sold on ebay
Nov 26, 2007 at 3:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Dept_of_Alchemy

Headphoneus Supremus
I noticed that a NIB LDII+ sold on ebay for a little more than $150 just recently. Is this comparable with the going rate on head-fi? IIRC, it seems to me like most LDII+/++ amps sold in the FS forums here have upgraded tubes as well as for less than $150. Don't the early LDII+ amps ever go out of fashion?
rolleyes.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. I think that's close to the going rate for LDII++'s. A little less here usually but not in mint condition. As for the upgraded tubes, I haven't paid enough attention to say whether or not they generally have them when sold here.

Where can I find the upgrade tubes? Are they worth the money?

Nov 26, 2007 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 12
David sells a new Little Dot II++ every couple of days using a, Ebay Buy It Now listing for $149.99 plus reasonable shipping. The new unit would be warranteed, etc.

Why would anybody pay the same amount for a new LD II+ (not II++) unit rotting in its original packaging for over a year, not knowing if it is working good, etc. I read somewhere that the LD II+ version ran very hot; you could fry an egg on the top of the unit; that David had taken care of that problem with the LD II++.

This makes no sense to me.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rivieraranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
David sells a new Little Dot II++ every couple of days using a, Ebay Buy It Now listing for $149.99 plus reasonable shipping. The new unit would be warranteed, etc.

Why would anybody pay the same amount for a new LD II+ (not II++) unit rotting in its original packaging for over a year, not knowing if it is working good, etc. I read somewhere that the LD II+ version ran very hot; you could fry an egg on the top of the unit; that David had taken care of that problem with the LD II++.

This makes no sense to me.

Well, the II+ is generally considered a better sounding amp than the II++ because it uses directly heated tubes, giving it a fuller and more "tubey" sound. The II++ didn't fix the heat issue of previous amps, but it did do away with the tube arcing issue that plagued the II+ and it has more tube rolling options than either the II+ or the II so it's better in those two regards.

The II+ was well worth the $150 I paid for it, and I could actually see people paying a premium for it in the future because of its somewhat unique design and fantastic sound. At this stage I'd absolutely recommend someone go with the II++ rather than a used II+ though. I only bought a II+ because it was the only used Little Dot I could find for sale on the forums, and I didn't want to have a new one shipped over from China.

Nov 27, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ogresmash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the II+ is generally considered a better sounding amp than the II++ because it uses directly heated tubes, giving it a fuller and more "tubey" sound. The II++ didn't fix the heat issue of previous amps, but it did do away with the tube arcing issue that plagued the II+ and it has more tube rolling options than either the II+ or the II so it's better in those two regards.

The II+ was well worth the $150 I paid for it, and I could actually see people paying a premium for it in the future because of its somewhat unique design and fantastic sound. At this stage I'd absolutely recommend someone go with the II++ rather than a used II+ though. I only bought a II+ because it was the only used Little Dot I could find for sale on the forums, and I didn't want to have a new one shipped over from China.

There is something to be said for not incurring the risk of damage, and heartache of having an amp shipped over from China. In a way you buy local and avoid that risk.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rivieraranch /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah as others have said, many (such as myself) prefer the sound of the + better than the ++. I have both and they run equally as hot. I'd even go as far as to say the ++ seems to run slightly hotter than the +. The + does have the arcing issue, but I just unplug my headphones before powering the unit on, and I've operated it for a year and a half like that without issue.

Nov 27, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by GotNoRice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah as others have said, many (such as myself) prefer the sound of the + better than the ++. I have both and they run equally as hot. I'd even go as far as to say the ++ seems to run slightly hotter than the +. The + does have the arcing issue, but I just unplug my headphones before powering the unit on, and I've operated it for a year and a half like that without issue.

I'm in the same boat as GotNoRice, I own both amps and prefer the + stock. Although rolling the tubes (especially power tubes, but also going to M8161 drivers) made the ++ just as good, but different, than the +.

Nov 27, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #12 of 12
Like Dept_of_Alchemy and GotNoRice, I own both. I use the 2+ for music, the 2++ for DVD movies. Both run hot, but in my case, the 2++ seems a bit cooler. Coupled with the Beresford DAC, the 2+ has a warmth, richness, and clarity that's tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back