Minor bit of ear wax helps get a much better seal on silicon tips!
Nov 17, 2008 at 8:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

encrypted_trance

Head-Fier
I religiously clean my ears (I know not recommended) and I often find bad days where silcon sleeves dont quite fit right and I have to fiddle around to get the bass at full pelt...however a bit of earwax around (not visible, just minor lubrication on skin where it meets silicon) and bam! perfect, air tight seal and huge sound!

Anyone else find this? Any recommended lube to put on silicons before insertion? With the winter here, skin gets dry and silcon tips just dont hold!

Nov 17, 2008 at 10:19 PM Post #3 of 15
Switch to foamies. Honestly, silicon just doesn't work like it should.

Beyond that, I'd be weary of too much earwax. A friend basically clogged my Super.Fi's when he tried them on and complained he couldn't hear them -_-

Nov 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 15
are you serious?? Personally, I'd just moisten them with a damp paper towel or tissue. Earwax?? UGH!!

Nov 18, 2008 at 1:01 PM Post #5 of 15
i find if i don't clean my ears for a day the outer ear has slight natural skin oils - probably not ear wax then,but makes for a splendid air tight fit

Nov 18, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by exphy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i usually use a bit of spit to get maximum seal(put the tip in my mouth)

Are you serious????

Try the mod that's in my sig. It works great. I didn't like to use foams only, and silicon tips are not the best solution for me as well. But using them togheter worked very very well for me. And it also makes the foams more durable.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 15
eeeeewwwwww!!!!!!
eek.gif

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 15
why eeewwww???

Dont you like YOUR body?
I do like mine so licking on my earphones does not make me feel like eeewww...

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #11 of 15
lol this is innapropriate but needs to be stated. Would you lick your pecker too if you could reach it? Sorry but licking tips that go in your ears is sort of nasty like licking a used tampon sort of nasty

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #12 of 15
Why not just wash your hands, lick your fingertips and then rub your moist fingertips on the tips? That's what I did and it worked wonders!

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 15
At my work at Skookum Recycling Center, we are mandated to wear ear protection, either plugs or muffs, and usually they supply us with E-A-R disposable foam plugs (NRR 32 dB), but I had trouble using them because they were too soft, and also one of our co-workers during the summer put one in too deep and had the have someone pull them out with a pair of tweezers, and since I am more used to using (double-flanged) silicon eartips in my MDR-EX90SL IEMs, I decided eventually to use the Hearos Water Plugs (NRR 25 dB) HEAROS.com for the same, more consistant feel as my IEM's. At first I tried Hearos Skull Screws (NRR 30 dB) at first, but found them to fall apart after about 2-3 weeks of rigorous use, so I tried the more-durable silicon-based Water Plugs instead.

Here's what I do with my plugs/tips, I just simply run the plugs through a small bit of warm water in the sink at work (not the IEM tips, just the Hearos) and when I put them in it goes in deeper and creates a very tight seal. But I myself would never put them in my mouth, (EWWW!!!) and while there ae various lubes and techniques that you can use, good-old warm tap water does the trick the best for me. As for removal (during ether lunch break or at the end of work), the Hearos Water Plugs have a 3/4" stem on the end so I can remove them easily, but I recommend you do that process slowly beause if you pull them out too fast it could cause some minor issues with your hearing.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:30 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find if i don't clean my ears for a day the outer ear has slight natural skin oils - probably not ear wax then,but makes for a splendid air tight fit

I think that's it. There's some natural oils in the ear, especially when you sweat a bit and that seems to help 'lubricate' the tips. And it's good for the ears to not excessively clean them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beyond that, I'd be weary of too much earwax. A friend basically clogged my Super.Fi's when he tried them on and complained he couldn't hear them -_-

I think that needs the obligatory "ewwww" comment. That's the downside of in-ear phones, letting friends listen to your headphones. Especially if they have dirty ears. Not cool to get your headphones back with earwax on them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGHMW /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At my work at Skookum Recycling Center, we are mandated to wear ear protection, either plugs or muffs, and usually they supply us with E-A-R disposable foam plugs (NRR 32 dB), but I had trouble using them because they were too soft, and also one of our co-workers during the summer put one in too deep and had the have someone pull them out with a pair of tweezers, and since I am more used to using (double-flanged) silicon eartips in my MDR-EX90SL IEMs, I decided eventually to use the Hearos Water Plugs (NRR 25 dB) HEAROS.com for the same, more consistant feel as my IEM's. At first I tried Hearos Skull Screws (NRR 30 dB) at first, but found them to fall apart after about 2-3 weeks of rigorous use, so I tried the more-durable silicon-based Water Plugs instead.

Here's what I do with my plugs/tips, I just simply run the plugs through a small bit of warm water in the sink at work (not the IEM tips, just the Hearos) and when I put them in it goes in deeper and creates a very tight seal. But I myself would never put them in my mouth, (EWWW!!!) and while there ae various lubes and techniques that you can use, good-old warm tap water does the trick the best for me. As for removal (during ether lunch break or at the end of work), the Hearos Water Plugs have a 3/4" stem on the end so I can remove them easily, but I recommend you do that process slowly beause if you pull them out too fast it could cause some minor issues with your hearing.

I agree. I don't like the fit of foam tips plus I'm not to crazy about the sound quality. I feel that silicon tips sound better. Plus I like the triflange style earplugs better too. I find them more comfortable to wear, especially over longer periods of time. I just don't like putting the foam plugs in my ears(I think I know the type you're talking about), the ones that are just cylinder shaped. I'm always afraid of pushing them too far into my ear and it gets stuck since there isn't a 'tail' on it for removal. Making them kinda wet really works, they glide right in.

And definitely remove them slowly. I once made the mistake of whipping it out too fast. Ouch!
mad.gif
That wasn't fun.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:00 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And definitely remove them slowly. I once made the mistake of whipping it out too fast. Ouch!
mad.gif
That wasn't fun.

Very true when you have silicons and an air tight fit! I 'popped' my ear by removing them too fast thinking I heard the phone ring!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back