Minneapolis Meet?
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 16, 2016 at 9:56 AM Post #466 of 697
The .7 is 50 something inches tall, you are probably thinking of the mini maggie system. (edit) Just wanted to ad that IMHO the Maggie .7 along with some DIY dipole subs is right up there as one of the most intelligent and practical bang for the buck world class home audio setups one could build a system around. 

By the way, looking forward to hearing your r70x as that is on my list of possible purchases... I like to have one nicely balanced mostly neutral headphone to use as a baseline and to recharge my ear/brain once in a while and since I have comfort issues with the HD600 and losing my K7XX to my son, the r70x has emerged as a contender based on the reading I have done thus far.
r70x is disappointing to be honest. Guy who is loaning them to me said they're more woolly than his HD650 in the bass. I'd have to say whilst the R70X do have better tonality and no plastic timbre unlike the AKG K7whatevers, the AKG Q701 has better bass, and outresolves the R70X. I'd assume the HD600 also one ups the R70X.

Also, the mids are just hazy, and there is audible 2nd order distortion below around 200hz. Probably the cause of the woolliness.

May 16, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #467 of 697
This Saturday May 21, 2-7pm

3700 Monterey Drive
Saint Louis Park, MN 55416

I don't think they do, but I have never been there... Just checked out Google maps on the address and it doesn't look like anything is in easy walking distance, but there are a bunch of restaurants all within a 2-3 car ride. I am hoping to drag my wife and 17 year old son along, and if they do come along I am sure we can sweet talk them into a snack run at any point as needed.

I'll be dragging my dad along. :D kinda opposite situations.

May 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #468 of 697
r70x is disappointing to be honest. Guy who is loaning them to me said they're more woolly than his HD650 in the bass. I'd have to say whilst the R70X do have better tonality and no plastic timbre unlike the AKG K7whatevers, the AKG Q701 has better bass, and outresolves the R70X. I'd assume the HD600 also one ups the R70X.

Also, the mids are just hazy, and there is audible 2nd order distortion below around 200hz. Probably the cause of the woolliness.

How do you do loans? That sounds like an interesting idea I seem  interested to try. 

May 16, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #469 of 697

There are no demos yet or else I would definitely be going.

You should try to attend anyways, you can try the Onkyo and I would like to try the Opus. How are you liking the Opus, still reading a lot of great things about it.

I will keep you posted.  One way or another I will get you the Opus and the balanced cable to try.

May 16, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #470 of 697
May 17, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #473 of 697
Is it too late to get into the meet?

I can bring the:
He-400i
HD650
SR-80e
Soundmagic HP150
SINE
M-Stage 3u
V100
HD630vb

Never too late. More the merrier!

May 18, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #474 of 697

3700 Monterey Drive

Three days to our big event :)

Hope to see you there @moviedave and would love to check out the SINE as I have been reading good things about it. Too bad we don't have a PM-3 to compare with as it seems they both have a large group of happy owners.

Someone is bring a PM-2 I think... I have yet to hear any Oppo headphone and would love to check them out. My EL-8 Open is my first and only planar headphone that I have owned and the second one I have ever heard d(HE-560 on tour was the first) so I am really looking forward to learning more about any and all the planar magnetic options in the headphone world.

May 18, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #475 of 697

3700 Monterey Drive

Hope to see you there @moviedave and would love to check out the SINE as I have been reading good things about it. Too bad we don't have a PM-3 to compare with as it seems they both have a large group of happy owners.

Someone is bring a PM-2 I think... I have yet to hear any Oppo headphone and would love to check them out. My EL-8 Open is my first and only planar headphone that I have owned and the second one I have ever heard d(HE-560 on tour was the first) so I am really looking forward to learning more about any and all the planar magnetic options in the headphone world.

If I can make it, I'll bring my PM-3, HE-560 and HE-400i for more comparisons.

May 18, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #477 of 697

3700 Monterey Drive

Hope to see you there @moviedave
 and would love to check out the SINE as I have been reading good things about it. Too bad we don't have a PM-3 to compare with as it seems they both have a large group of happy owners.

Ill be there and I have the PM3s and the PM2s

May 19, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #478 of 697
Ill be there and I have the PM3s and the PM2s

Awesome, sounds like we will have a nice selection of planars this Saturday. I am getting everything together along with whatever original packaging I still have, taking pics and making my price list as I will no longer be using most of the gear I have and instead posting it for sale and starting over. It is great that this meet will include everything I have on my new going forward list for consideration except for a few DACs and the DAC will be the last thing I buy to complete my list and it won't happen until next year anyways. It is really hard to decide on 5 or 6 headphones that will keep me happy for the next few years and hopefully longer, same goes for amp and DAC and perhaps a DAP makes its way into my house this year as well, who knows. I am set on EL-8 Open and Nighthawk, fairly certain HD800S will be my next purchase along with a Bose QC25 for travel. That leaves me to perhaps consider a closed can for one option, either at home or something more portable to rotate between home and office, and maybe pair with a new DAP. The Sine and PM-3 are top contenders as my MDR-1a are just a tad bass heavy for my taste. Oh well, it is early AM and I am just rambling...

May 19, 2016 at 9:13 AM Post #479 of 697
Awesome, sounds like we will have a nice selection of planars this Saturday. I am getting everything together along with whatever original packaging I still have, taking pics and making my price list as I will no longer be using most of the gear I have and instead posting it for sale and starting over. It is great that this meet will include everything I have on my new going forward list for consideration except for a few DACs and the DAC will be the last thing I buy to complete my list and it won't happen until next year anyways. It is really hard to decide on 5 or 6 headphones that will keep me happy for the next few years and hopefully longer, same goes for amp and DAC and perhaps a DAP makes its way into my house this year as well, who knows. I am set on EL-8 Open and Nighthawk, fairly certain HD800S will be my next purchase along with a Bose QC25 for travel. That leaves me to perhaps consider a closed can for one option, either at home or something more portable to rotate between home and office, and maybe pair with a new DAP. The Sine and PM-3 are top contenders as my MDR-1a are just a tad bass heavy for my taste. Oh well, it is early AM and I am just rambling...

I'm gonna be trying a Mr Speakers Ether and Ether C within a few months if you want me to give you some impressions on those and possibly meet up for a listen.

EDIT:

3700 Monterey Drive

May 19, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #480 of 697
I'm gonna be trying a Mr Speakers Ether and Ether C within a few months if you want me to give you some impressions on those and possibly meet up for a listen.

EDIT:

3700 Monterey Drive

Nice, I would definitely be interested in your thoughts on those and getting together for some comparisons if possible. What DAC/amp will you be driving them with? I have read that they are not all that fussy but that they also do seem to respond really well to a few amps in particular. I have bought into the final Cavalli Liquid Carbon run and hope mine is ready in August but you never know I guess. I also have an Emotiva Stealth DC-1 that I might bring this Saturday but hadn't mentioned it because the USB input does not work (I am going to send it in for repairs in a couple of weeks) but then I realized I can use the Meridian Explorer toslink output to get a signal to it for anyone that is curious about that unit as a DAC or as a DAC/amp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back