minimizing Yuin (OK series) microphonics?
Apr 16, 2009 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

geremy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I just received my OK3s this week and while they are beginning to sound fantastic with burn-in, the microphonics are almost incomprehensibly bad. I understand that the OK series cable is substantially improved over the PK series, but I doubt the microphonics were worse with the PK series. There is just no way. It sounds kind of like sailboat rigging, it has that type of twang whenever the cable is brushed or moved, and it is loud.

I ordered these along with IE8s (no detectable microphonics for me), primarily to run with to replace some sennheiser PMX-70s (which have medium level microphonics but don't sound nearly as good to begin with). I have found some way around it, if I wear the cable completely behind me and turn the volume ever so slightly higher than I would like, but it is far from an ideal solution.

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions on mimimizing microphonics. I know clipping/taping the cable down will work and have tried that, but for impromptu use, I would like something a bit more permanent. Can I wrap the cable in electrical tape or maybe some insulative sleeving or anything?

Apr 16, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 9
Wrapping the cable in electrical tape or insulative sleeving will only make it more microphonics than before.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zalithian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you tried looping the cable over your ears?

Yes, and it works to some extent, but it's not so comfortable to do with buds, because they are made to hang down mostly.

I don't understand it either. The cable feels fairly high quality and such, though it is isn't all that flexible. It seriously does sound like boat rigging on the water. It is also very loud.

I don't think it is just me either. I have minimal microphonics with the stock apple, iaudio and sony earbuds that I have, and no microphonics with the IE8s. These OK3s though are super loud.

The reason I thought of adding electrical tape is because even just rubbing your finger along the cable (without actually moving the cable) results in a severe twang. I was thinking that maybe the cable insulation and wire aren't bonded correctly or something, and since the wire is rubbery, the electrical tape would make it less prone to catching or rubbing.

Apr 16, 2009 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 9
I've used the PK2 and OK1, and I've had no problems. It's just weird because the bud design doesn't make microphonics easy. IEMs are shoved right in your ear, so the slightest movements are readily heard. With buds, the noises although present, lack amplitude because of the physical distance and dissipation of the sound. I just find it weird that either it or you are so sensitive.

Apr 16, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #8 of 9
I have OK1 and have no experience of the problem you describe. Odd.
I assume the cable exterior on 3 is the same as 1? Sort of soft grippy/tacky?

Apr 16, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 9
Yes, very grippy/tacky and fairly stiff. I wonder if it will just get better with time? When they first came the cable was very stiff (and noisy). It seems to be loosening up a touch now after a few days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back