minimalize and consolidate
Feb 20, 2010 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

brotherlen

100+ Head-Fier
I'm currently in the process of sorting through my belongings and getting rid of, selling, giving away items that I will not be needing/wanting for the next 2-3 years left of school I may have. One because I can raise funds to get better, and less gear. Two, moving with all this crap, begins to suck with a quickness. Now enters the audio/headphone aspect. I'm selling my sr60 and hd 580 headphones, my xm5 amp, my 3 ipods and maybe my speakers, I would like either a set of closed headphones like some dt770 or a custom IEM. I have small earholes and regular ones just dont fit right. This is also ditto for my camera and computer equipment. So, it's going to be like Christmas here shortly, however, it's almost completey paid for with items sold. Out of pocket expense will be kept to a minimum, portability maxed, and of course fat jams will be played. I need to figure out the home rig set up. Portable source besides phone? Use computer for home source? Portable amp? 600ohm? These are important questions. To me anyway, not really.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #2 of 4
A consolidated setup could be....

Laptop
Dac like an Ibasso Mamba $219 /3move $275?
Whatever phones, 770 etc.
Portable MP3 (use mamba or move also for portable)
IEMs or Portable phones

Done
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want speakers for get togethers with friends, use powered monitors from stores like Guitar Center, or whatever music store.

You can even get a TV card for the pc, and a wireless internet card (unless youll have wifi where youre staying.

Use a cellphone for calls, and to save money on a cell plan, use MagicJack...only $20 per year calling USA & Canada.
Hooks right into your USB. I use one every day, and it works great for the price.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 4
Ok, i just noticed you have an XM5 amp.....so scratch the mamba amp.....keep the XM5 and use it on a laptop with the 770 and get small amped speakers and youre done, and get a good Canon or Nikon pocket camera for pictures and wireless internet card.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 4
for consolidation, I switched back to a mac laptop, ordered some IEMs, got rid of my extra iPods (3 of them) and extra headphone, so now I'm down to a laptop and a iphone 3g as sources. I use a 7d for photo. So the extra embellishments will be an external monitor, mouse, keyboard and an amp, all of which I'm debating on keeping or forgetting. I don't talk enough to get a magic jack, and the iphone is pretty decent as an all around device, I have the smallest talk time plan, I only ran out of minutes once in the past 5 years. The pocket camera is of consideration, just because of size and bulk, but it would be a supplement/backup for the larger DSLR

Users who are viewing this thread

Back