Minidisc?
Feb 9, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasterscan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does anyone still use them? I still pull out my MZ-1 from time to time.

I do. I still use my portable MD player during my commute to work and I purchased a refurbished component MD player/recorder directly from Sony last year.

I also occasionally purchase pre-recorded MDs.

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #3 of 17
I started to collect pre-recorded MD's. I've had several portables in the past but I kept the MZ-1, it's just way cool and the first.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

I started to collect pre-recorded MD's. I've had several portables in the past but I kept the MZ-1, it's just way cool and the first.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am not so much into the hardware aspect of MD, although it would be cool to get a Hi-MD player/recorder. As for pre-recorded MDs, I am starting to collect these myself.

Feb 9, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #7 of 17
I used them, but at some time before their purchase, with RW-minidiscs, i suffered a lot of fails on the player of my house and too in the cars one, so i abandoned it. Thanks god!
dt880smile.png

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Does anyone still use them? I still pull out my MZ-1 from time to time.

Yes ~ I use mine far more than I do the 78' gramaphone or the convenience iPod
smily_headphones1.gif

The best of the mini-disc players - the Sharp MD-MT888 - still going strong after 8 years: no failure, no breakdown. Similarly - the Onkyo recording deck - the MD133 - still going strong - no breakdown, no failures. Added a new Sony MZ-RH1 this month. What a joy to discover the sublime quality of the music on a TTVJ Millett's portable amp and new headphones! First upgrade in over 8 years....!

Visit this thread in say, 5 years maybe, and see how many other digital formats have come and gone, without excelling the quality of the minidisc's PCM recordings
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #12 of 17
How this format still finds attention in this day and age baffles me...especially the fact that I still use it from time to time!

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:12 AM Post #13 of 17
What is Mini MD you speak of? :)

Sep 11, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #14 of 17
Sony MZ-N1 which i still use to this day, but only for recording concerts that i go to
Sony MZ-N420D which is the main one i use for playback & transferring tracks

a couple years ago, a local department store was selling the 5 pack of Sony 80 min disc for $5 a pack.
needless to say i walked in and bought every box they had left
i have never counted how many i have now, but i got to have close to 100 minidiscs now, if not more
even found a couple different "lens-cleaners" at the same store, which was nice cause i've never had one up until that point

i still find the minidisc to be so much better then any mp3 player i've owned
what it all comes down to is that i got so many of them that it's nice to pop them in and out
each disc is usually just 1 band (Frank Zappa taking the cake with 9 discs full)
and i find that alot easier in deciding what to listen to then having spending too much time searching a mp3 library
other then using the program for the N420D, i lost the lightpipe wire for the MZ-N1 in a move years ago, and still havent found it
the lightpipe was alot easier when i transferred all my Zappa cds to minidisc on my PS2 when i got it.

i just like it alot better, but then again, i like obsolete technology, cause you can score them cheap
goes good with my Sony betamax

Sep 11, 2012 at 8:38 PM Post #15 of 17
I don't use MD; but, I am a DAT fan, big time. My Sony PCM-7010F's make DAT sound better than any other format I've heard so far,  so I still use these recorders today, mostly to record Internet stuff which cannot be downloaded. Plus, with my Sony RM-D7200 Dual Remote Controller, I can make automatic edits of my thunder shower recordings accurate to 3 frames to sound so seamless  that they become quite compelling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back