Minidisc DAP, still worthy to get?
Feb 3, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Randius

500+ Head-Fier
While looking through eBay for Sony PCDPs, I found auctions for the older models of minidisc recorders such as the R30/50 and that brought back memories of my first DAP, the R30. However, is it still worthy to get one over iPod video now? Does the minidisc sound any better than the lossless formats such as FLAC and ALAC at this age? especially when considering the trouble to convert the tracks. Thanks.

Feb 3, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #2 of 12
i am a huge minidisc proponent...but if you're gonna go minidisc make sure its one of the later HiMd models,like the MZ-RH1.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 12

Quote:
i am a huge minidisc proponent...but if you're gonna go minidisc make sure its one of the later HiMd models,like the MZ-RH1.

Thanks but why so. I had not keep track of MD advancement and frankly speaking, RH1 is expensive and becoming hard to get.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 12
1. Hi-MD allows for the best recording quality - straight PCM.
2. The more expensive, latest models have the better digital amp that sounds great.

Feb 3, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #5 of 12

Quote:
1. Hi-MD allows for the best recording quality - straight PCM.
2. The more expensive, latest models have the better digital amp that sounds great.

Thanks. Then may I ask which is the oldest model with Hi-MD? Just to know where to start looking.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #6 of 12
Lo,

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks but why so. I had not keep track of MD advancement and frankly speaking, RH1 is expensive and becoming hard to get.

I would agree with the MZ-RH1 ( i am looking for a second hand backup in the UK)
They are the only MD recorders that dont have any transfer restrictions.

Great machine to record my vinyl to CD quality PCM then transfer to the PC.
Convert to WAV then FLAC

This method was recommended in the UK magazine Hi-fi World a few months ago as a good way to archive vinyl.

Martin

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 12
I have a Sony...can't recall the model number. The software does not work on vista or 7. I recentley dug out an old xp desktop and want to try the software on that...hoping it works, I also have a Rio Karma and the software also won't work with vista or 7 so I will be playing with that also.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 12
I use my minidisc regularly on two computers that have vista and windows 7 with no problems.

Feb 5, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #11 of 12
The Sony Insider forums has a version of SonicStage that works with Vista and Windows 7 (you have to become a member to download).  There's a complete list of Hi-MD equipment here.  Only the MZ-RH1 (MZ-M200) is still being manufactured.  If you want something else, you'll have to buy used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back