Minibox-E vs. Mini^3
Apr 3, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Legend /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both are great amps, while the minibox-e offers a wider soundstage and the mini^3 offering a warmer sound it depends on music type and price.

You have heard them both? Did you have them at the same time for a good comparison?

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philimon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You have heard them both? Did you have them at the same time for a good comparison?

I have not heard them both personally, but in my search to find a reasonably priced amp this was the resounding conclusion based upon people who have done reviews with both or have owned both at one time or another.

I did not mean to imply that I have owned both as I have not. Sorry for the confusion.

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #6 of 20
I currently have both, and disagree about the soundstage being wider on the MiniBox E+ comment . Unfortunately, I don't have 225s or any Grados at present, so I can't tell you how they might sound with either amp.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:45 PM Post #7 of 20
I have a Mini^3 and was going for a MiniBox E+ but ordered a Little Dot Mk1 instead (but that got stolen somewhere in the postal system and I've yet to get a replacement
frown.gif
). May request a refund on the LD and get a MiniBox instead.

Either should do you well enough.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #10 of 20
I have not heard the Mini^3 but I was in the same position you are a little bit ago, I came to the conclusion that both amps were in the same class and both have their particular strengths, but the differences are supposedly small enough that I went with the Minibox-E for the smaller size.

The Minibox-E is great, it's cheap, solidly built, and it sounds great.

It has no trouble powering my 250 ohm DT880's and drives them at comfortable sound levels at the 3 or 4 volume settings.

The PtoS switch (which enables a 75 ohm resistor) works wonders for IEM's. It makes a huge difference when listening to my E4c's.

Based on everything I've read and everything I've experienced while listening to my Minibox-E, I strongly suggest you go with it over the Mini^3.

However, as good as the Minibox-E is, I'm currently looking for a dedicated home/transportable amp.

I'm considering buying an RSA Emmeline XP-7 (with the AD797 op-amp) for use with my DT880's.

EDIT:
The newer Minibox-E+ version is supposed to be even better than the older model I have, so expect wonders if you get the new model. The old one is still great to my ears though.

Apr 3, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #11 of 20
i have read a lot of good things about the Mini^3. I decided to go with it. Haven't been able to test it out yet. Both are so similar that it truly doesn't matter which one you get.

Apr 3, 2008 at 11:24 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioSmurf93 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you mean to say me thinking the Minibox-E is ugly, would be grounds to get the mini3 over it?

I meant that they are so alike that I chose the Minibox-E because it had a smaller profile.

But from everything I've been told and all the reviews I've read neither the Minibox-E or the Mini^3 really has an edge over one another.

But since I haven't heard the Mini^3 and the Minibox-E sounds so good (and with the Minibox-E+ supposedly being even better) I recommended it over the Mini^3.

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 20
Theyre both good. Id go for whichever has the most easily replacable battery in case it craps out on you.
I heard the Mini Box E+, but it was at a meet, and i havent heard the Mini 3.
It was very small and looked nice. The sound was good, but its so hard to tell how good at a noisy meet.

The battery issue is important. Although i like my Xtra Pro-1 and my C&C Box+, i do worry about the day when the battery craps out and wont take a charge anymore, then i have to do the ipod thing and send it out to be replaced (if the makers still exist by then)...or do it myself, if the battery isnt custom. If i cant find a battery,ill have to redo the inside and make-shift my own, or use an external battery pack plugged into the charging port.

Apr 4, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #15 of 20
I have heard side by side the MiniBox-E and the Mini^3, I have also compared the MiniBox-E+ with the Mini^3, and the MiniBox-E with the MiniBox-E+. All three are great amps and at the prices they sell you would be very happy.

However I prefer the MiniBox-E+ amp. The only Grado I currently own is an RS-1 and it sounds fantastic driven by the MiniBox-E+. I have rolled op-amps in the MiniBox-E+ and find that the AD797 is a better match for the Grado RS-1 since it made the MiniBox-E+ sound a bit darker.

Best of luck in your choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back