mini3 problems from a noob
Feb 18, 2010 at 10:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

particleman14

100+ Head-Fier
so I finished populating the mini3 board however a few problems when doing initla checks. I am doing the initial checks as per the website however when I am checking for short circuits my ohm readings are all over the place. my readings are always different when I try. Im not sure if im switching the pointers polarity or something. But it seems i have a bunch of short circuits from my output and input jacks and grounds. i don't understand because i'm sure there are no solder bridges on those big jacks.. but i am getting readings in the mohms and kohms.. what am I doing wrong??
even at c+ and c- i am geting weird readings.. the battery contacts b+ b- i get a pulsing resistance that keeps on rising... same with c+ c- contacts.. i am pretty confused...

no quiescent current reading either.. no led light coming on..no current draw..

any help? hopefully something simple and dumb on my part..

Feb 18, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #2 of 14
I take it this is your first time doing such checks in general.

Not ever single lead is going to be isolated, many are connected to each other through a resistance. A high resistance value (in the kOhms or MOhms) is normal. The definition of a short is when a lead is connected by a low resistance, we're talking about milliOhms here.

To test for these, set your meter to test for the lowest possible resistance. Then touch the leads of your probes together. You should get a small reading like 0.5 Ohms (or 0 if your meter is calibrated to compensate for this). Small changes in resistance is also affected by how you make contact with your probes. If you press them solidly to each other, then you'll get a solid reading, if you allow them to move around, the readings will jump all over the place.

When you touch two leads that are isolated or connected by a high resistance (i.e. not shorted), then you will get an infinite reading (if your meter is set to the lowest setting), the same as if you take the probes off that part. If there is a short, then you will get a very low reading. Small values means low resistance/short, big values/infinity means no short.

The first thing you should test for are cold joints. The most common place for them are on the OP amps, since they have small joints. You do this by placing one probe on the pad and the other probe on the leg of the lead. If you measure anything greater than an ohm, you need to fix the cold joint (usually resolved by simply touching the joint for a second with a hot iron). Then test the resistance between adjacent legs, you should get infinity for all of them.

Also keep in mind that when you measure resistance, you are sending a DC voltage through the part, and the probe is actually measuring the current it receives to test the resistance (this is another reason why you should set your meter to the lowest setting, as if you set it to a high value it will send out a higher voltage to the part, resulting in a higher current, which could damage a part.).

With this in mind, try testing the resistance of a capacitor (mind the polarity, place black probe on the negative electrode). Since capacitors block DC once they are charged, you will notice that your resistance starts low and then climbs until it eventually reaches infinity, since no current will pass. If you try turning the power knob on, you will notice it will flash as the capacitors discharge. Since the battery contacts are connected right to the capacitors, what you are seeing as changing resistance is the capacitors being charged.

Before you check current, test that everything is connected right. A simple way to do this is to insert the battery into the contacts, then remove the battery. Then turn the power on. You should see the power LED briefly light up (it lights up from the charge stored in the capacitors). If that works, then you know you have power flowing.

Current is usually measured by connecting your probe to a different socket on your multimeter (check your manual). Then set it to read up to 200 mA. Connect your battery's positive terminal (make sure the positive terminal is the one near the outside of the board, because otherwise you have installed your battery backwards), but leave the negative one unconnected. You are going to complete the circuit with your multimeter in order to measure the current. You do this by touching the black probe (black probe is always connected to the common/ground on your multimeter) to the battery negative terminal and red probe to the battery contact.

Then turn the power on and keep it at the lowest setting. The power LED should light up as long as the contacts are connected, and the meter should display the quiescent current.

Feb 19, 2010 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 14
Sometimes I get funky, pulsing readings if I don't clean the flux off well enough.

Assuming you built a gain 5 you want to see 1.8k between OR, OL and IG. OG to IG should be MegOhms range.

Follow the procedure on the Mini3 site to the letter and report back the results.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 14
ok i changed the auto range on my multimeter to just ohms.. and it seems that all my contacts are good.. however, it does not pass the power up test. I get no light from the front led but it works on the back charger circuit.. so it has to be something down the line..would that be indicative of a cold joint..when the circuit is just cut off somewhere?
I can take pics if needed. but I refluxed and soldered just about every joint and my smd mounts are pretty solid looking from a 15X magnifier.. i am getting the right readings on the input and output checks. infinite resistance on all my pins..

so as of now power is not flowing.. next step??

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:14 AM Post #10 of 14
I guess I could be putting the cart before the horse...
Do the rail splitter check and report your findings.
Careful with the probes, a little slip there is an easy way to ruin your day.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:46 AM Post #12 of 14
Are you sure your diodes are oriented correctly? It looks like d2 is backwards, I can't really tell about d3.

http://i.imgur.com/hXQkR.jpg

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 14
^ I would agree. The stripe or line should be on the opposite end from the D2 silkscreen label for both D2 and D3. If D2 is in backwards, you won't get any voltage past it (LED, railsplitter, etc.).

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #14 of 14
check that.. luckily i impulsively bought some chipquick at my local frys electronics.. I remounted the diodes in the correct orientation..(all the flux had blurred the marking). now when doing the sanity check my front led comes on breifly as the caps discharge..

quescient current is 26mv .. rail splitter is 6.69v and then 3.33v red contact to ground..
dc offset (0-.5mv) charging circuit works at a gentle 16ma

1st impressions.. dammnnn this is quite good. (love that placebo)
so far I've built a few jds cmoys, a millet SS, and now this guy.. cant wait to run some comparisons..

thanks again for all your help.. looks like it was only the d3 diode like you pointed out. (glad it wasn't anything else too serious, i was getting scarred reading all the U5 stories..)
thanks a bunch for your help codetoad. and misterx as well. you guys are keeping me on track for this new hobby of mine...now for my next build i'm torn between gamma2 or maybe m3 or minimax..hmmmm

thanks again i was able to solve my problem due to all the quick replies..so awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back