Mini3 Battery?
Sep 18, 2007 at 8:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Listen2this1

100+ Head-Fier
If I am not planning on using the charger, will I cause problems by using a off the shelf Duracell/ Energizer batteries? On the site it says not to use Ni-Cad but says nothing about good old alkaline's.

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 13
technically, yes,
But replacing the battery is a pain in the arse and the case is not designed to do this regularly because:

*Screws will quickly wear
*Battery holders will spread
*Its hard to "get" to the batery to remove without removing the circuit board( ribbon or not)
*It will be hard put the new battery back in

Sep 18, 2007 at 9:35 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by superpiper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*Screws will quickly wear
*Battery holders will spread
*Its hard to "get" to the batery to remove without removing the circuit board( ribbon or not)
*It will be hard put the new battery back in

A bit overstated, IMO.

1) Use studs and thumb nuts instead of screws.
2) You don't need to use much force. Some pliers can be used to tighten up the 9V terminals, if necessary.
3) It just pops out when using a ribbon. I've used a few different brands and they all just popped out.
4) It slides right in, I don't know what's hard about that. Again, I've done it more than a few times with different NiMH brands.

The hard part is finding an alkaline battery brand that fits with room to spare.

Sep 18, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit overstated, IMO.

1) Use studs and thumb nuts instead of screws.
2) You don't need to use much force. Some pliers can be used to tighten up the 9V terminals, if necessary.
3) It just pops out when using a ribbon. I've used a few different brands and they all just popped out.
4) It slides right in, I don't know what's hard about that. Again, I've done it more than a few times with different NiMH brands.

The hard part is finding an alkaline battery brand that fits with room to spare.

Fair enough..............

(I still don't think its a good permanent solution)

Sep 19, 2007 at 12:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Someone once told me not to tell a person what battery to use, but IMHO, you're really taking a penalty with an alkaline in the Mini3. Alkaline batteries tend to climb in impedance as more demand is made of them - current continues to drop in order to preserve voltage. NiCD's and NiMH's are just the opposite - impedance continues to drop under load and current increases, to the point of a fire if you put them across a dead short under the right conditions. (Li-Poly's even explode!)

So, use of a NiMH battery is not just for convenience - it's a significant contributor to the performance of the Mini3 since it will supply much more current under load. That makes better use of the AD8397 current monster.
wink.gif

Sep 19, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #7 of 13
I just can't fathom why someone would want to build a mini³ without the charging circuit. You'll pay for the parts and the batteries in no time flat even if you build the extended run time version. Add to that the ease of simply being able to plug the amp in to recharge the battery rather than opening the case every week or so and it's just a no-brainer.

Sep 20, 2007 at 7:06 PM Post #9 of 13
I was wanting to know because I am not planning on buying the Nimh until I build a second one for another person. So I am very inpatient and was wanting to know what it sounded like. Thanks for all of your help.

Initial thoughts Wow, makes me want to build a M3, After I finish my Max.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #11 of 13
Quick question about the battery and charging circuit:

The rechargeable battery I was planning to use does not fit inside the case. Any problems with running the amp off of the DC wallwart without a battery installed while I source a replacement? I know the amp turns on, but will I over stress the charging circuit somehow if it has nothing to charge?

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:14 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sbyers77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quick question about the battery and charging circuit:

The rechargeable battery I was planning to use does not fit inside the case. Any problems with running the amp off of the DC wallwart without a battery installed while I source a replacement? I know the amp turns on, but will I over stress the charging circuit somehow if it has nothing to charge?

That question is probably best asked in the Headwize thread, I think amb is able to monitor that a lot more closely than the many threads that pop up here.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That question is probably best asked in the Headwize thread, I think amb is able to monitor that a lot more closely than the many threads that pop up here.

Will do.

EDIT: Answer from amb on headwize:

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb
Nothing will be stressed if you connect the wallwart with no battery attached, as long as the D4 zener diode is working.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back