Mini3 9v Battery
Feb 2, 2008 at 8:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

wgr73

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I think the mini3 supplied battery is a rechargeable NiMH...can I use a regular alkaline 9v battery (when the NiMH runs out or do I have to use the rechargeable)?

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #2 of 19
when the NiMH runs out, just recharge it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, you can use regular 9v without any problem.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:30 AM Post #3 of 19
just be careful to not plug in the adapter with a regular alkaline battery installed.

Feb 2, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 19
I do remember AMB saying something about using the relationship between using a regular alkaline battery and decreased performance due to the current draw.

Don't quote me on it though.

Feb 2, 2008 at 2:51 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron-xp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do remember AMB saying something about using the relationship between using a regular alkaline battery and decreased performance due to the current draw.

Don't quote me on it though.

Yes, the Alkalines have a higher output impedance level and can't supply as much current - this is just due to the different chemistry used in both types of cells. However, I had used mine with both types and at least "I" could not hear the differences in mine (I built the high-performance model with a gain of 2).

I would say: go ahead and try it for yourself. You can't damage anything by having the Alkaline in there, "as long as" you don't plug the charger!

Will

Feb 2, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Cool. Guys, thanks! I wonder if it last longer with regular alkaline batteries. Dont worry, i wont plug the charger in...

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #7 of 19
How should I change the rechargable battery? simply pull it out? Well I couldnt do it with my fingers and I dont want to brake anything. So should I use a tool or what...

Feb 7, 2008 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 19
The board is attached to the front plate. If you remove the two screws in the front you can slide the whole board out. Alternatively, if you already opened the back, you can remove the volume knob and unscrew the nut attaching the pot to the front plate and you should be able to slide the board out the back. Good luck.

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkfury18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The board is attached to the front plate. If you remove the two screws in the front you can slide the whole board out. Alternatively, if you already opened the back, you can remove the volume knob and unscrew the nut attaching the pot to the front plate and you should be able to slide the board out the back. Good luck.

Hey, if I added thumb screws to the back where the battery is, could I just unscrew the thumbscrews and take off the back plate to swap them out? Just asking, I havnt gotten mine in yet
mad.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 7, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #10 of 19
Depending on the brand of battery in there, it might be very tight fit and will require some force to slide out, but otherwise yes, you could just remove the battery from the back. If that won't budge easily, then undo the two front panel screws and push the board inward from the back and out the front side instead.

When putting in a new battery be sure to observe the polarity or you might fry some parts.

Feb 7, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks amb! Another question, which batteries(rechargeable or not) do guys prefer? I have access to regular 9V alkalies...but someone said that the impedance would be high and that I wouldn't get the performance I wanted out of it...

Feb 8, 2008 at 12:12 AM Post #12 of 19
I recommend Accupower 270mAH NiMH rechargeable. It fits nicely in the Mini³ casing without undue stress, and works well. See the Mini³ website parts list section.

Using a regular alkaline battery would just be frustrating -- do you really want the trouble and expense of replacing the battery all the time?

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #15 of 19
Thanks, that helps alot!! TSubasa, you pose a good question....Is there a status light that goes off or something when the battery is full?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back