Mini to mini cables...any difference?
Apr 26, 2008 at 10:24 PM Post #34 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think if there really was a person who actually took all the advice offered on this board, he would need a Hummer to cart around his portable rig, a turntable plinth the size of Mount Rushmore and the gross national budget of all the western nations combined. He'd have 5000 headphones for his two ears and wires as thick as your arm connecting them all.

So true...
wink.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #36 of 39
This is what i believe. I believe cables are the absolute LAST thing you should buy in your rig.

Also, I MUST mention that the differences in sound are incredibly minute, and you should NOT take these differences as being anything drastic, dramatic, or otherwise like some other posts give the impression of. I feel ALL cables, the only differences they offer aesthetics aside are subtle at best, and possibly psychoacoustic, but I will still say I can hear minute differences between all these. Cables are the LAST component I would mess with in a rig, and they more or less 'tweak', for a better lack of words, the sound you want.

So, grab the cable you think is prettiest, and it'll sound better than the ugly stuff
tongue.gif

Apr 29, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #37 of 39
Nate, this is slightly OT, and I don't disagree with your post, but do you include all headphone cables in that?

In my experience, the differences are largest in some HP cables. Have you heard any 'phones before and after recabling?

Apr 30, 2008 at 5:00 PM Post #38 of 39
I think the difference between 6" mini to mini interconnect cables are too little to spend crazy money on.
On a portable setup with such a short cable, i dont think there is enough difference to go crazy. A good diy cable for under $25 is fine. Alot of the time i use the RadioShack Grey mini to mini for $5.99, and maybe its a luck-shot, but it sounds good.

I do notice a definate difference with interconnects on my home system, or with headphone cables though, because theres better equipment probably and also longer runs. I dont think 6" is enough for the cable to show its characteristics. Maybe it has to do with wave lengths or something, i dont know.
If i listen alot of times back and forth, i think i hear a difference using my zune into my portaphile with grado sr225's when i switch cables, but its so slight that it could just be in my mind, or im just freekin deaf...lol.

I believe in a good "quality made" cable for portable, so it can take the bumps and provide a good solid connection, but you really wont be listening all that critically on the run anyway.

For some reason i still want an RNB Audio Black Diamond cable, probably just for the hype, for my collection...lol, like nostalgia.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #39 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nate, this is slightly OT, and I don't disagree with your post, but do you include all headphone cables in that?

In my experience, the differences are largest in some HP cables. Have you heard any 'phones before and after recabling?

I haven't heard any headphones recabled (yet). I'm awaiting some re-cabled MS1s to arrive as well as some other cans, but as it sits right now, I would assume it to be the same...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back