Mini Review: Thoughts on Apple EarPods as compared to the old "iBuds"
Oct 30, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #16 of 26
  Earpods vs Beats Solo HD?

Different price points, form factors, sounds signature, etc etc so they are hardly comparable.

Very generally, the EarPods are more accurate to source aside from their mild sub-bass roll-off.

Oct 31, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #17 of 26
Oddly enough I prefer the old style earbuds from Apple. Great for casual wear when I don't want to care about getting things damaged

Nov 2, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #19 of 26
Sep 6, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #21 of 26
I may be sending this twice since it was my first message on this forum.

I've been using your Multi-IEM review as guidance for buying new earbuds for the past few years. I have bought the Xiaomi Pistons 2 and 8320's  in response to your admiration for the two. I have loved both for different reasons, still getting the hang of judging (highs, mids, lows etc.) But I am hoping to make a collection in the next few years (Once I'm not on an 18 year old's budget). Im guessing the Ultimate Ears UE 600 would be my best next step up for my price range, maybe?

Anyways, I wanted to ask if you could compare the Xiaomi Pistons to the EarPods because of their similar prices. I also would like to know what you would rate the EarPods as if you were putting them on your Multi-IEM review.

Preferably, I think the Pistons are better. Ill leave it to the knowledgeable to say why/if.

My friends think otherwise, but it may be to the fact that EarPods are more accessible. 

Thank you, and I enjoy reading your reviews

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #22 of 26
  I may be sending this twice since it was my first message on this forum.

I've been using your Multi-IEM review as guidance for buying new earbuds for the past few years. I have bought the Xiaomi Pistons 2 and 8320's  in response to your admiration for the two. I have loved both for different reasons, still getting the hang of judging (highs, mids, lows etc.) But I am hoping to make a collection in the next few years (Once I'm not on an 18 year old's budget). Im guessing the Ultimate Ears UE 600 would be my best next step up for my price range, maybe?

Anyways, I wanted to ask if you could compare the Xiaomi Pistons to the EarPods because of their similar prices. I also would like to know what you would rate the EarPods as if you were putting them on your Multi-IEM review.

Preferably, I think the Pistons are better. Ill leave it to the knowledgeable to say why/if.

My friends think otherwise, but it may be to the fact that EarPods are more accessible. 

Thank you, and I enjoy reading your reviews

The Piston 2 and Earpods are very different in sound, just as your 8320s and Pistons are different. The Earpods are a lot more similar to the Monoprices. The Pistons have lots more bass (both mid-bass and deep bass), much warmer tone, and more recessed/less forward mids. Earpods have a little too much in the way of upper midrange and the soundstage lacks a bit of depth. I would rate Earpods a little below the Monoprice 8320 if they were included in my IEM review. 

The UE600 (while it's still available) is a good way to try a near-neutral BA earphone on the (relatively) cheap.

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #23 of 26
What about for under 150$? Would you recommend  vc1000, R-50, or the RE-400 Waterline? Overall sound quality, isolation, and longevity of the headphones would be the importance to me. Any other recommendations for that category?

Sep 7, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #24 of 26
  What about for under 150$? Would you recommend  vc1000, R-50, or the RE-400 Waterline? Overall sound quality, isolation, and longevity of the headphones would be the importance to me. Any other recommendations for that category?

With longevity and isolation factored in the Etymotic HF5 takes it. Great earphones.

Jan 21, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #25 of 26
I'm surprised I like them. They're great for being out and about.

Yeah, the sound isolation is terrible but with the heavier bass the sound balances out so you don't have to kick up the volume. The remote is so handy.

The sound is inoffensive and will play well with any source, it's actually bearable with bad quality music. Yeah I have better sounding IEMs but these are just so easy to drive. They don't scale up though.

Jul 24, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #26 of 26
I have to agree with the positive earbud reviewers. They were just sitting in the box for months. I never gave them a chance. Well I was wrong. The stock headphone with my 6s is matched very well to the phones audio. I'm in the middle of listening to the Zep catalogue cover to cover. Which I know real well. The earbuds are very very capable. I'm sitting outside full noise arrays from cars planes dogs etc and I'm not being drowned out. I'm using volume at about 60%. Detail is present. Soundstage is also. Very interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back