Mini Review of Decibel Music Player Software versus iTunes
Nov 29, 2011 at 11:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

TwoTrack

500+ Head-Fier
Friends,

I was able to listen for a long time to Decibel last night after downloading it at a regular affordable price of $33. I wanted to share some initial thoughts here in case anyone is looking for an affordable player of hirez for the Mac.

System Used For Listening Sessions:

2011 Mac Mini>>Belkin Gold 10 foot USB cable>>Benchmark DAC1 Pre into stereo system (ARC preamp). Control was nothing fancy, just Decibel interface by Apple Magic Mouse. Waiting on iPad3 for ultimate control. USB input was well used by prior owner of DAC1 Pre as it was the base of his computer & headphone audio rig which used the SPL Phonitor headphone amp and Senn HD800 cans.

Comparison was made to the latest version of iTune using the Snow Leopard O/S on the Mac Mini. File types included AIFF, WAV, and 24/96 FLAC from HDTracks, Linn, Label downloads, and ripped DVD-Audio discs.

Impressions:

Very nice improvement over iTunes, with a crisp, clean, open sound. Like a veil or two had been lifted to use a bad audiophile cliche.
orangewink.gif

I noticed a more full sound in the bass and the midrange. Highs were extended as well.

Not night and day by any means but maybe something on the order of another 10-15% if iTunes was the baseline at 100%.

I used two key pieces of music: Alison Krauss' Paper Airplane and Eagles Hotel California. Paper Airplane (first track) had a nice clarity and transients were spot on. Instrument separation was excellent. Hotel California was quite vivid with the guitar work very realistic and natural throughout.

On 16/44 files, I heard very similar results to my SCD-777ES used as a transport with the DAC1 Pre as the outboard DAC. Very little if any difference I can detect so far. Maybe a slight each to the Mac.

One huge benefit is that these types of applications automatically switch the Mac into hirez mode on the fly so you don't have to mess with the Midi panel settings.

I really liked the ease of use in dragging over FLAC files and others from storage discs I had. It really handles FLAC very well and FLAC at 24/96 was a noticeable improvement in sound quality, although that held for iTunes as well to a large extent.

Error free is a term I would throw out. It seems, like my two Benchmark devices, to work very flawlessy. I did not experience any of the "clicking" noises that some people report when doing computer audio.

User interface was simple but very clean and easy to use. The ability to see the "Inspector" window which shows sampling rate, album art, file type, etc. was very informative.

Future Explorations:

Probably a finer USB cable would be something to look at. Belkin Gold is well respected in the audiophile community and cheap at $8.97 at my local Fry's. The Audioquest Carbon and Cardas Clear cables are also well respected. I may try these as funds permit.

Pure Music, there is a $129 package from Pure that many like although some like Art Dudley feel Decibel equals sound wise. I was just being cheap on the Decibel but I may want to try Pure at some point.

"Memory resident" modes. Some music player software can load tracks fully into memory before play. I would like to experiment with any sound differences from that. I believe Decibel may offer this but I'm still learning.

Extra RAM. I just have 4gb of RAM in the Mini now. I want to upgrade that and note any improvements or not.

Summing Up:

Really nice bump in sound performance over iTunes. Well worth $33 and nice user features and ease of use. Something to consider if you want something affordable for computer file playback.

Nov 29, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #2 of 16
Anyone else use or try Decibel?

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 16
Bump

Dec 1, 2011 at 4:56 AM Post #4 of 16
I use it daily on my macbook connected via toslink. Just make sure to have it on hog mode! 

Ive tried amarra, clementine and some other options i dont even remember, but this it the player i like the most so far! Its def better sounding then clementine!

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #5 of 16
Thanks!  I definitely use HOG mode.  What DAC are you using?

Quote:
I use it daily on my macbook connected via toslink. Just make sure to have it on hog mode! 

Ive tried amarra, clementine and some other options i dont even remember, but this it the player i like the most so far! Its def better sounding then clementine!

Dec 1, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 16
I hear ya on the Home Sharing but I like the improved sound of it over iTunes.

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 16
Ended up buying it today.  Spent some time listening:
Mackbook/toslink/Cambridge DACMagic/Schitt Valhalla/Sennheiser HD600/Cardas.

I think it is an improvement over iTunes.  Seems smoother, less "digital".  Download some Diane Krall from HD Tracks........

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 16
I use Amarra but I also have Decibel (not the last upgrade yet), Bitperfect, Fidelia, and Audirvana Plus.   I would take Audirana Plus over Decibel for better sound playback and integration with iTunes track lists.   My favorite by far is Amarra.

I've tried some USB cables and settled on the Wireworld Starlight USB.  

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 16
Glad you are enjoying Lextek.

Very helpful Warrior.  I have heard many good comments on the Starlight cable.  Amarra looks good but the cost is a bit steep for me.  I will look into Audirvana.

Dec 3, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #11 of 16

Quote:
Glad you are enjoying Lextek.

Very helpful Warrior.  I have heard many good comments on the Starlight cable.  Amarra looks good but the cost is a bit steep for me.  I will look into Audirvana.

Audirvana.Plus has really come along.   It has a lot of features and it sounds excellent for the money.   These players are getting closer to Amarra but they are not there yet.  Nice thing about Audirvana Plus is the way it integrates with iTunes.  

You might also want to try a Shunyata Venom 3 power cord on your DAC.  Excellent results for $99.

Dec 8, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #13 of 16
Already there!  Have two Shunyata cords, Venom3 on the DAC, Diamondback Platinum on the phono stage.

Quote:
Audirvana.Plus has really come along.   It has a lot of features and it sounds excellent for the money.   These players are getting closer to Amarra but they are not there yet.  Nice thing about Audirvana Plus is the way it integrates with iTunes.  

You might also want to try a Shunyata Venom 3 power cord on your DAC.  Excellent results for $99.

Dec 24, 2011 at 8:21 AM Post #14 of 16
It seems the more time I spend with Decibel the more I like it.  I was just missing the remote control feature of Home Sharing.  So I got Remotix for the iPad.  Now I'm able to sit on my butt and control Decibel.  I tried Mocha lite, but never really got it working.  Works with iPhone too.  Screen is little too small though...

Mar 16, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #15 of 16
TwoTrack, have you use Songbird (mac) before? What do you think about Songbird vs Decibel? Somehow I feel that Songbird has better song management and feature. Maybe I'm already used to it. But would really love do you how these two compares in terms of sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back